gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 02, 2024, 04:55 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Joe Johnson
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Joe Johnson  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • No thank you, Turkish; I'm sweet enough!
  • Rated:
Joe Johnson
« on: October 13, 2007, 06:30 PM »
For some bizarre reason my mind goes all blank when I try to remember Joe Johnson bitd, no idea why but it just does.

Anyways, it's not until I saw some of his pictures both on here and on other less inferior sites that I didn't realise what a RAD mo fo he actually was.

Strange I know but there you go!

Daz.  :daumenhoch:
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

bof

Re: Joe Johnson
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 06:40 PM »
Joe Johnson . he invented tailwhip airs and had a squeeky voice. ;D

DJ

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 06:45 PM »
doubles as well..... begining of Aggroman he busts one out at Woodward I think?

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 08:18 PM »
Thank fook he found snooker and made a go of it
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 11:52 AM »
Thank fook he found snooker and made a go of it

PMSL!

;D
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cnut... ME!

dan-dare

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 11:58 AM »

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 04:01 PM »
Oooohhh....that was a bad miss!

;D

Stevo

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 11:16 PM »
I have been busy recently and missed this post first time round.

Here's a pic of Joe doing a tailwhip air at the time he first started doing them in '88. Pic and words from Ride mag. A little history lesson for those who don't know the story of the tailwhip.

I think you can see Mike D attempting a tailwhip air in the Joe Kid DVD, looks like one to me anyway.

Words and photo Mark Noble
Kicking the back end of bike around the front end of a bike is one of those fundamentally simple moves that never ceases to impress even the most clueless of BMX virgins – "Woooo, can you do that again?"

Once upon at time, it was enough to do it on flat ground, and it's still the place to learn it from scratch. Brian Blyther, arguably one of the smoothest riders to ever grace a vertical ramp, invented this trick on the flat bottom of a halfpipe on day in 1982 – both without a front brake and with a straight cable. He was just messin' about between getting his vert on – jammed his foot in the front tyre, kicked the back end around, and before you could say "tennis ball in the front wheel" a vert rider had invented a pivotal, landmark, building-block flatland trick.

The next stage was to take it airbourne. Mike Dominguez flew one out of the vert corner of a 15ft deep pool at Del Mar in 1984, but it was Joe Johnson who figured out how to do it halfway through a 180º aerial on a quarterpipe in 1988. Joe Johnson was one of those riders who could learn at a frightening pace. He was bio, determined yet laid back, and always blew up at contests: always unleashing the unexpected. He dialled in single whips in '88, and was pulling double whips in '89. He even came close to nailling triples the next year. So, what's that… 17, 18 years ago? Half the kids doing them now weren't even born back then. Flatlanders (led by legendary visionary Kevin Jones) took them from stationary swings onto high-spped rolling whiplashes which still look amazing today when done perfectly, and he almost single handedly built a mountain of tricks from there on in. And nowadays, in the streets, parks, and X Games vert ramps, whips are everywhere. Cranmer can seem to do them into and out of anything he damn well pleases, Jamie Bestwick can throw two whips in, upside down, while flairing his way to gold medal status, and full speed flat ground whip hops are a warm-up on towards a video part enders. Everywhere you look, everyone has the whip down. The tailwhip. The back end goes around the front end. Simple Iconic.

Offline Flatcap

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 11:25 PM »
The next stage was to take it airbourne. Mike Dominguez flew one out of the vert corner of a 15ft deep pool at Del Mar in 1984

This has been mentioned on hear before mate but I did a tailwhip jump out of a bowl at Southsea in 83 with witnesses to verify this. It'll get argued about until the cows come home but I'm pretty sure I was the first to do a tailwhip jump/flyout.

Daz.  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Joe Johnson

gfxgfx
gfx gfx