gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 03, 2024, 06:00 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Modern Hutch Trickstars
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Modern Hutch Trickstars  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Modern Hutch Trickstars
« on: March 18, 2017, 05:14 PM »
Hi everybody,

recently I found a picture online - more or less accidentally - of a modern Hutch Trickstar. I guess it was a 2015 or a 2016 model, but not sure about that.
What I'm sure about is, that it looked really awesome because it had that old school look combined with modern technology (parts, geometry and so on) - which I liked a lot.

I went to the Hutch website and they have a flatland f&f set there, that doesn't seem too expensive. But I don't know about the quality of these new f&f sets in comparison to the old ones from the 80's. Actually I don't know anything about the old Trickstars either, other than I like their look. Never had a chance to ride one and I don't think I could afford one nowadays.

My thought was to get a really good bike to ride, that has an old school look to it, but isn't as expensive. I'm not sure if 900$ to 1800$ is the usual price range for the old ones - but compared to that 1500$ for a new complete doesn't seem to be a bad deal. But that's only the calculation or math behind it. 1500$ for a complete would be a bad deal if the new ones aren't any good.

Does anyone have experiences with the old and the new ones in comparison - in order to put some light on that whole subject for me? The new ones look really good I think, but do they ride as good as they look like, are they a bit on the heavy side, and what other components would you recommend to use with the new f&f set (bars, crank set, stem, brakes, gyros, rims ...and everything to have a complete bike) ?

I know these are quite a lot questions, so many thanks in advance for helping me with this subject.  :daumenhoch:

Andy

griff

Re: Modern Hutch Trickstars
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 05:23 PM »
Robbo had one, was very nice indeed - didn't he sell it to Wini?

griff

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 05:25 PM »

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 05:49 PM »
Robbo had one, was very nice indeed - didn't he sell it to Wini?

There you go
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,189746.msg1906938.html#msg1906938

This thread actually got me thinking about a new/retro Trickstar.  :daumenhoch:

Here's the one I found on the museum page:

Offline paulb113

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 06:20 PM »
Andy if your on Facebook a couple of guys in my group have them, You could ask on there.

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 06:22 PM »
Andy if your on Facebook a couple of guys in my group have them, You could ask on there.

I am Paul. I'm the guy who asked you about the grip tape recently.  :daumenhoch:

Thanks for the hint though mate!  :coolsmiley:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 06:24 PM by Andyboy77 »

Offline chrisv39

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 07:11 PM »
I wouldn't worry about the quality of them Andy, with how technology and manufacturing processes have improved since the 80's they're probably far superior to the originals.

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 09:21 PM »
The flatland ones are great but way too short for ramp or street riding , i have one of the 21 inch ones which doesn`t have the frame stands and rides great as nice and light . the only issue is they stopping making this model now and only do the flatland ones
no1stuntmaster on instagram

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 10:23 PM »
The flatland ones are great but way too short for ramp or street riding , i have one of the 21 inch ones which doesn`t have the frame stands and rides great as nice and light . the only issue is they stopping making this model now and only do the flatland ones

Thanks for your reply too!  :daumenhoch:
I think the white bike I posted a picture of above is one of Annyversary f&f's. Is this a flatland model too or one of those you have? 

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 10:41 PM »
I really like them Andy, I would definitely like to have one as a rider. Wini/ Robbo's one looked SOOOO sweet. Unless you are going to do 10ft airs I don't think the geometry will be a problem  :daumenhoch:
SMALL MINDS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE....
MEDIUM MINDS TALK ABOUT EVENTS...
GREAT MINDS TALK ABOUT IDEAS....

Offline paulb113

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 10:51 PM »
Julian JJ Mortin and Jerry Loera have them.

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2017, 10:53 PM »
I really like them Andy, I would definitely like to have one as a rider. Wini/ Robbo's one looked SOOOO sweet. Unless you are going to do 10ft airs I don't think the geometry will be a problem  :daumenhoch:

...10ft. airs? I'm too much of a wimp I'm afraid. ::)
I'd like to do freestyle/flatland and my hope is, that it is much easier to do so than it is on my Performer. It rides really nice, but sometimes I think either the bike is too long or my legs way too short.
The above posted bike looks like as you could grap the bars and the seat with one hand - as it is done in some of the os-balance moves. I don't want to give up on that trick as it is my best atm.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2017, 11:35 PM »

I'd like to do freestyle/flatland and my hope is, that it is much easier to do so than it is on my Performer. It rides really nice, but sometimes I think either the bike is too long or my legs way too short.
The above posted bike looks like as you could grap the bars and the seat with one hand - as it is done in some of the os-balance moves. I don't want to give up on that trick as it is my best atm.

If the Performer feels too long then a NS /Retro will be worse!
I know hat you mean exactly, it is essential for me also to have the bike set up that way as a good few of my tricks have the need to grab seat and bar! My PR has a Hot Seat for this reason and my new rider luckily is naturally set up like this!  :daumenhoch:

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 11:54 PM »

If the Performer feels too long then a NS /Retro will be worse!
I know hat you mean exactly, it is essential for me also to have the bike set up that way as a good few of my tricks have the need to grab seat and bar! My PR has a Hot Seat for this reason and my new rider luckily is naturally set up like this!  :daumenhoch:

Glad you mention that Damo. Hmm - the bike up there looks shorter to me - but it could be based on wishfull thinking too  :-\ 
On the other hand as I looked the specs of the new Trickstar at the Hutch-site, I've toticed the top tube lenght is 19.5" - whereas the top tube of my Performer is about 17.5" to 18" ...not sure as I don't know the exact measuring points. But my Performer defo has a much steeper head tube angle, therefore I was assuming the Hutch has a shorter wheel base.  ???

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 12:01 AM »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 12:31 AM by Andyboy77 »

Offline Marty

• Site Supporter
  • Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 12:37 AM »
[imghttp://][/img]

Nice bikes, this is my 2015 Trickstar.

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 12:43 AM »
[imghttp://][/img]

Nice bikes, this is my 2015 Trickstar.

Very nice bike that Marty! ... and ...  :welcome to  :radbmxsmilie:  8)

Offline Marty

• Site Supporter
  • Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 12:45 AM »
Thankyou very much for the welcome  :)

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 12:49 AM »
Thankyou very much for the welcome  :)

You are in the right place Marty! Take a look here and say hi :daumenhoch:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,190048.0.html

Offline richiebozza

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 01:01 AM »
How do you guys feel about that Hutch isn't technically Hutch, but it's kind of resurrected Hutch?

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 09:41 AM »

I think the white bike I posted a picture of above is one of Annyversary f&f's. Is this a flatland model too or one of those you have?
the one above is flatland , i get a pic up of my one later
no1stuntmaster on instagram

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2017, 10:50 AM »

I actually found the "thread" to that picture at the museum page. It isn't an Annyversary - at least it doesn't say it is one, but JDB <<< what ever that means.
He did a modification to the forks to have the fork standers just like the old ones (Ultra Werks upgrade it says). Which is a cool idea, as it adds to the old school look. Although they might be difficult to use, because they are pretty short. Further I don't think I would buy new forks, get 'em stripped and get the fork standers welded on, but it depends on the costs of that modification.
The bars are GHP retro bars.

Offline deeman

• Site Supporter
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2017, 11:10 AM »

I actually found the "thread" to that picture at the museum page. It isn't an Annyversary - at least it doesn't say it is one, but JDB <<< what ever that means.
He did a modification to the forks to have the fork standers just like the old ones (Ultra Werks upgrade it says). Which is a cool idea, as it adds to the old school look. Although they might be difficult to use, because they are pretty short. Further I don't think I would buy new forks, get 'em stripped and get the fork standers welded on, but it depends on the costs of that modification.

I like what he has done to the forks too...although I would probably just use pegs...
I would defo use some other bars, not the ladder bars. I would use something like those GHP's and put old VDC Woody stickers on them!!  Fook...I actually want one now   ::)

Offline Andyboy77

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2017, 11:27 AM »

I like what he has done to the forks too...although I would probably just use pegs...
I would defo use some other bars, not the ladder bars. I would use something like those GHP's and put old VDC Woody stickers on them!!  Fook...I actually want one now   ::)

That speaks for your good taste mate!  ^"^ ...just thought the same (but didn't think of the Woody stickers) I would use different tyres too and defo no zebra brake cables.
Sorry Damo, that wasn't intentional making you wanting one now.  ::)

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2017, 06:14 PM »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Modern Hutch Trickstars

gfxgfx
gfx gfx