gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 02, 2024, 05:53 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  My 1995 GT Fueler :)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: My 1995 GT Fueler :)  (Read 1425 times)

Offline kayla

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
My 1995 GT Fueler :)
« on: January 30, 2015, 07:08 PM »
I really wanted one of these when they first came out but as a poor starving student I couldn't afford one, so when a clean 1995 frame came up on fleabay a couple of weeks ago I snapped it up :D It's not going to be a period-correct build mainly because I'm too impatient to wait for the 'right' parts to come up but also because if I'd been able to buy one BITD and kept it, it would have evolved with new stuff fitted over time anyway!

So, here we go-

I should also add that I bought a 1998 Performer to rob parts from-

which is where the wheels, crank, pedals and bars (not in the pic) came from. I stupidly assumed the stem was a 1 1/8" clamp on but when it arrived it turn out the Performer was still 1" threaded in 1998 and it was the Pro Performer that had the Aheadset fitted. Bugger, I shoulda oughta checked first. Still, it was cheap enough and it's something else to build up once the Fueler's done now I'm not using all the parts from it!

I was umming and ahhing about whether or not to put MTB cranks on it cos I've got a couple of Truvativ BB adapters and those 1pc cranks from the Performer are all pitted and horrible on the left side. I don't know, I still might. I don't like BMX 3 piece cranks and I'm not heavy enough (or brave enough!) to need the extra strength from a steel 3pc crank anyway.

The idea was to build it up as a sort of 90s light race/dirt bike rather than a street tank which is why there's a (home made GT-alike) spider and 37t ally chainwheel instead of a steel CD. I went for some 90s red anodising with the Aheadset and chainring bolts, to match the Tektro cantis I ordered.

The forks are Landing Gears, I'd have loved some proper Fueler forks but the only set I could find were in America and over £100 once postage and import duty were added. No ta, the Landing Gears will be fine.

I forgot how quickly BMXs go together after mucking about with MTBs for so long! About an hour later, headset and BB shells pressed in, please excuse the hoopty (there's a 90s RideBMX word for you) MTB stem, it's just there to hold the front end together until I either find a 90s Ahead stem or, meh, buy a new school one-

Things on the wanted list; 27.2mm ally seatpost, some kind of seat to sit on (not fussed what really, I'll probably stick a light-ish MTB one on to keep the 'race' look right) and a 90s stem.

Offline skidmark

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: My 1995 GT Fueler :)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 09:43 PM »
Nice, always liked the Fueler  :coolsmiley:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 10:00 PM »
Curlers are pretty cool, like the spider and chain ring set up

Offline nosepickben

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 10:28 PM »
Nice. I'd have an early, non-canti fueler anyday.

Offline kayla

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 08:02 AM »
Ta for the replies!

They were all cantilever, weren't they?

http://issuu.com/pharv85/docs/gt-dyno_1994/1

It looks like they went to U-brakes in 1998-

http://issuu.com/pharv85/docs/gt-dyno_1998

???
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 08:05 AM by kayla »

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 10:15 AM »
Here's mine

Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline kayla

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 12:17 PM »
Niiiiice!

My cantis arrived today and I ordered a seatpost and 90s looking stem from our LBS so it's just a seat I need now, oh, and knobbly tyres I think, then I can finish it- woo!

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 04:19 PM »
If you don't mind blackwalls I've got some tilts tyres you can have ....if you pay the postage lol
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline kayla

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 06:42 PM »
If you don't mind blackwalls I've got some tilts tyres you can have ....if you pay the postage lol
Thanks very much for the offer but I think it needs some skin wall comp 3s (copies). In other news, my 1994 Performer should be delivered tomorrow! :slayer: I think I'd quite like some silver rim 36 spoke wheels for it too, eventually.

I can't wait to get this finished and have a potter about on it :D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  My 1995 GT Fueler :)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx