gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975632 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 28, 2024, 09:18 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Kink Freebird Survivor
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Kink Freebird Survivor  (Read 3757 times)

Offline Hellchops

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
Kink Freebird Survivor
« on: February 04, 2017, 01:27 PM »
I found this Freebird last week, in a friend's garage and decided to buy it and give it a light restoration. This period is when I was riding the most and it reminds me of an exciting time in BMX for myself. As found, I love the setup - I could have ridden this in the early 00s. There's something about this bike that really like  :coolsmiley:

Here are shots as I found it, I'll strip it down this afternoon to begin the cleanup.

If anyone can help me to ID the year, I'd be most grateful. I've done some Googling, but can't pin it down to a year.

Offline vestanpance

• Curb Endo
  • Bollocks.
  • Rated:
Re: Kink Freebird Survivor
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 05:21 PM »
I like that.  8)
I said 'machine, why are we here?'
And it paused and said 'to play video games and drink beer'

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 05:30 PM »
Very cool! Knocking on the door of early new school with that! I'd say around 03/04? Some nice bits on it too  :daumenhoch:
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 04:19 PM »
 :daumenhoch: nice,   not made in large numbers  either ,  agreed on the nice spec from the period too,  :daumenhoch:   i'd say 2004 / 2005 ?   as well

Offline monteryroom

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 09:53 PM »
Sweet bike. I love this era. I think it is a 2003 as evidenced in this ad:

Offline monteryroom

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 09:55 PM »
I wouldn't do much more than dust her off and clean the bolts/fittings up. So nice as she stands.

Offline Hellchops

• Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 07:28 PM »
I wouldn't do much more than dust her off and clean the bolts/fittings up. So nice as she stands.

That's the plain. The frame has loads of surface rust and all the nuts and bolts are rusty. I was going to dip the whole lot, but after doing the nuts and bolts, I've decided to leave the frame - it looks good as is (I have wiped it down). I've replaced the broken spokes on the front wheel, I didn't do this earlier as I didn't have silver spokes - but I have black, so I just stuck them in. In the day, if needed, I would've done the same to get it riding. I also stripped the rear wheel, the rim was FUBAR, and I laced a rider condition black Big City to the white Hazard hub. This wheel didn't turn out as well as I hoped... more white paint flaked off the hub and I then discovered that the driver binds when the axles tightened. As far as I remember, and midschooljon confirmed, the axles on these wear down and they need to be replaced. It's put me off the hub a bit (wheel also looks a bit crap as is) and I'm probably going with a freewheel hub.

Cable was fooked and is now binned, as were the grips. It's pretty much getting a proper service and that's it. I have changed the fork, the front Seventies hub is 10mm and the Pitchfork was 14mm. My AOD build had a 10mm Fit S1 fork, so I've swapped them. Just need to re-build the rear wheel (again), fit brakes and a new chain.

Offline Hellchops

• Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 07:29 PM »
Sweet bike. I love this era. I think it is a 2003 as evidenced in this ad:

Great, thanks!

Online Midschoolfool

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 12:28 AM »
Nice bike you've got there man. I still remember the advert for Kink with the bloke doing a frame stand.. Naked lmao.

Thought "WTF?"

I ran a bike shop in the mid 90s, so we had a few Kinks in. You will die before it does. :D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Kink Freebird Survivor

gfxgfx
gfx gfx