gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 02, 2024, 11:02 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  The Chas Smith
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: The Chas Smith  (Read 2839 times)

Offline Tommo32

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • Rated:
The Chas Smith
« on: February 14, 2014, 02:41 PM »
Dug this out of my mates cellar the other week. Not quite sure what I plan to do with it yet, it just fascinated me and I had to have it.

Anyway, any information anyone might have about these frames or about Chas himself would be much appreciated.

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
Re: The Chas Smith
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 03:02 PM »
That is a great looking frame set and I really dig those fork drops  :coolsmiley:

Is it chrome under the white?
BANNED

Offline Mat

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 03:05 PM »
Odd bit of kit.

Cool as fuck  :daumenhoch:

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 03:08 PM »
Very cool forks :daumenhoch:, interesting tube joints too. Is it braised?
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Tommo32

• Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 05:47 PM »
It's just bare Cro-Mo under the white, and yeah, all joints brazed. It's at my graf blokes place at the min having the stickers replicated (though I have heard I can still get the Reynolds sticker from Reynolds themselves). Then I guess I will paint it white again and look for some parts to build it up with. I just wish someone could offer some information on it really, I have a thousand questions and next to no answers. Who made them? Were they made to sell or were they Chas's race bikes? etc etc. Maybe there are some people on here who might be able to shed some light on it.

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 05:53 PM »
More then likely hand made in very small quantities, maybe for a team, i would have thought. Rear drop plates look like they may have been borrowed from a marlboro zapper/zr3.
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 05:53 PM »
wow!!! that is a cool looking frame and forks,never seen one before and i have been

collecting british race frames for years,if you ever decide to sell it give me a shout :daumenhoch: :Great_Britain:

it has a bit of a rebel look and also a KLP
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 05:55 PM by sawzall »
British race frames and race clothing wanted

Offline Tommo32

• Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 07:13 PM »
Just ordered a new Reynolds sticker from this place... http://www.hlloydcycles.com/. He makes all the decals for Reynolds and still keeps the old designs to help out bike restorers.

Offline GT-Timmo

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 02:39 AM »
I remember a rider named Chad Smith who rode in the 12-13 year old class in NBMXA around 82-83. He was good as well and im sure he rode for a small factory.

Offline AllAzusacroozer

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 09:10 PM »
I remember a rider named Chad Smith who rode in the 12-13 year old class in NBMXA around 82-83. He was good as well and im sure he rode for a small factory.
I think you may be thinking of Brad Smith, who was from Leicester and rode for Raleigh in Dale Holmes' age group, and yes he was always among the fastest in his age group.  I seem to remember a racer with the name Chas Smith was in one of the first BMX mags i ever got, so   around 1982, i think he was in the same age group as Stu Diggens, Tim Print etc. probably need to look back at 81-82 to find info on him.

Offline Mikku

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Keeping it RAD in Japan!
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 12:31 AM »
Definitely cool as fook!! I'd leave the og decals and paintwork on it, especially as it seems to be a rare bird!  :daumenhoch:
From Dorset to Japan:- http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,182215.0.html
Ok riders, random start. Riders ready, watch the gate old gaijin make a fool of himself! :D

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 05:23 PM »
Not seen one of them before  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  The Chas Smith

gfxgfx
gfx gfx