gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975632 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 30, 2024, 05:56 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  How to Refurbish a Sugino Chainring
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: How to Refurbish a Sugino Chainring  (Read 651 times)

Offline 750Rush

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
How to Refurbish a Sugino Chainring
« on: November 07, 2013, 03:34 PM »
So, you have an old faded, scratched Sugino chainring, or perhaps merely want a change of colour or some shiny polished teeth...How do you refurbish a Sugino chainring?

I've gone a couple to date and am often asked how I did them, so it's time I shared how. I only have before and after pictures as I didn't think to take pics along the way, but I am sure there will be more opportunities.

Take the original chainring:

1) Firstly, clean off all the oil and cack with WD40. get right into the holes and along the lowered edge by the teeth, and make sure the U of the teeth is fully clean. If you struggle to get in all the teeth, use a wooden BBQ squer to get in there. Wash and dry.

2) I have done the next part two ways. The first is to remove the annodised finish with trusty Ovenpride, but don't leave it in the bag too long and stay with it. The second way is easier and just imvolves prepping the surface with wet and dry paper to key it for painting later. Don't go hasrsher than medium grade.

3) If you repaint the chainring, it's better to have polished teeth so that the chainring doesn't show wear and tear so much. We all hate chipped paint but love shiny bits of metal! Lay the chainring on a flat surface with a cloth underneath. Start with coarse wet and dry paper to remove the majority of the old paint or anno, don't worry at this stage if you can't get right into the raised dege by the teeth, but sand with the straight edge of the wet and dry paper to try and get in there as much as you can. Next, do the same with medium wet and dry, this time, make sure all the old paint and anno is removed from the teeth and right into the raised edge before the body of the chainring. Then, use fine wet and dry to get a smoother finish. Using water with the paper throughout the process really helps. Finally, get your autosol out and polish the edge of the chainring. Remember to do all this for bother sides!

4) This bit is a bit fiddly, but you now need to tape up the polished area to keep it that way for painting. I use blue easy peel masking tape. I cut off strips about 2cm long and apply the tape right up to the raised edge. Be careful not to go over it, and not to come up short (oo er!). Again, do both sides of the chainring and make sure the tape on each side sticks together so that paint can't sneak under the tape.

5) Prime, paint and lacquer. At least two coats of each. I tend to turn the chainring through 180 gedgrees between coats to ensure good coverage into all the nooks and crannies. Allow to dry after the lacquer staage for at least 24 hours.

6) This is the good bit. Gently peel the masking tape off pulling it away from the chainring. Admire your hard work and don't drop it!

The 1st one I did:

The 2nd fitted:

If you want to pimp it up you can always use the paint nib from the Halfords touch up paints to fill in the 'Sugino' 'Japan' '40' if you feel the urge, but this is much easier done with bare metal chanrings rather than ones you have painted. Remember to pop it on your bike, and like the best builders, ensure the 5 slots on the reverse of your chainring bolts all line up!

Race ready...

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
Re: How to Refurbish a Sugino Chainring
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 05:51 PM »
The 5 slots on the back.of the chaining line up  :2funny:

Joking aside fella  ::) top job that man  :4_17_5:

Offline chubby

• BMX Nerd
  • Needs Pegs
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 09:37 PM »
Ace results there fella  :daumenhoch:
Looks like it involves way too much patience for me though  :LolLolLolLol:
WANTED : 1" freestyle forks, uglier the better

griff

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 11:37 PM »
All that effort pimping the last ring & you used rusty bolts!  :police:
Get a cotton bud in there  ;D

Offline 750Rush

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 08:44 AM »
I know Griff, it was an old photo and said cotton bud has since followed the wire wool in having a good rummage inside the bolts! Shame on me  :LolLolLolLol:
Race ready...

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  How to Refurbish a Sugino Chainring

gfxgfx
gfx gfx