gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 02, 2024, 02:45 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mid school UK documentary film - Ideas wanted
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mid school UK documentary film - Ideas wanted  (Read 3549 times)

Waddy

Mid school UK documentary film - Ideas wanted
« on: August 31, 2012, 10:23 AM »
Hi all,

Im looking at producing a documentary about the mid 80's to mid 90's riding scene in the UK. Basically I've recently been sent loads of old VHS stuff of riding and comps in the early 90s and Im sure there is tons more of unseen footage out there (I've made an edit of some of my stuff to show my kids so I'll post a link to it also).

If I go ahead with the project I don't want to make a "riding for riders" type film but instead Im looking to produce something with a wider appeal that anyone could watch (similar to Z-boys and Dogtown).

So what I need some idea on rare the following:

Is there a good story to tell?
If so what is it?
and more importantly, is there a story that anyone would care about (other than riders)
I have a few (very loose) ideas for the narrative thread but would one to hear anyones thoughts.

The other thing I wanted to ask you was who you think should be approached for interviews etc?

Lastly please let me know if you've any old VHS (with good material on it) that's been pretty much unwatched and is just gathering dust.

Cheers

Waddy

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Mid school UK documentary film - Ideas wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 05:20 PM »
i made an edit from mid 90s footage just a few months ago, it had been lying around for about 15 or so years before i did anything with it. i've got a good 2-3 hours of southsea koc footage from different years too. here's the edit i made.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoNqIMykA-c&feature=g-upl

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 05:27 PM »
denny will have alot of vhs .

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 06:13 PM »
Southsea comps, and early backyard comps were pretty influential and would deserve some coverage. One rider who definitely needs to be interviewed would be Gerry Galley. That guy killed it and Id love to hear him talk about that era.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 06:25 PM by midschooljon »
***Wanted - Cash waiting***
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

skidmark

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 07:17 PM »
The wider audience, hmmm...could you say the less formal/straight-laced side of cycling began during this period thanks to bmx??? where it started lots of other bike styles have followed. also pretty much everybody now has a pair of vans or similar in their wardrobe, where back then you could be quite sure somebody skated or rode bmx if they dressed a certain way(or was that just around Liverpool where everybody else tucked their tracky bottoms into their socks?)...now 50% of the population wear the stuff!
I'm brainstorming here...roll with me  :-\

LENNY-LENTINI

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 08:53 PM »
That's an easy one Brother

The Sheffield Team DHSS years were killer and represented the attitude of was happenning at the time.

Living the dream courtesy of the Gov.

When 2 of the residents (allegedly G-George and Hardy) set up that false bike shop and got all those frames and stuff dirt cheap from hotwheels etc...

Fckn hilarious. Still makes me laugh today.

The Jam round Sheff when Team Dhss told everyone they had a place to sleep, only for 50 or more riders to turn up.

Donovan P is your man for footage and images from early 90's and Jolyon (the Crow) was about as underground as they come.

Should link up soon Top Man.

Keep the Faith. L

nomad

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 04:19 PM »
Southsea comps, and early backyard comps were pretty influential and would deserve some coverage. One rider who definitely needs to be interviewed would be Gerry Galley. That guy killed it and Id love to hear him talk about that era.

Totally agree with that, he is a super nice and very bright guy as well. Would interview well i bet.

nosepickben

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 05:26 PM »
What about the Scottish influence and the birth of roadtrips and jams that were a nightmare to organize pre internet and mobile phone, especially with just a bi monthly mag for spreading the word. Oh yeah, mention those south yorks guys that crossed over from racing.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 05:28 PM »
sano.

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 06:51 PM »
sano.

Yes! team Sano were awesome. I bet Gogo would have some awesome stories.
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 07:23 PM »
you also need the underground scene from 88 onwards when i rode and places like southbank ,meanwhile 2 ,chingford ie check facebook for info on that and so much more . how bmx changed ie bmx action bike became rad . the days of m zone ,swatch and so on .ramps that appeared ie latimer road , crawley barn ramp .
good luck as lots of work

no1stuntmaster on instagram

scott250

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 08:03 PM »
Ayton quarry  ;)

scott250

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 08:35 PM »
ah, and Rehab :)
seen a few vids posted on here of the place.

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 08:37 PM »
Geth Shooter and ross Marshall may be able to help too

Dingo

teamsano

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 04:30 PM »
sano.

Yes! team Sano were awesome. I bet Gogo would have some awesome stories.

yes, but are they safe to publish on the internet?  :angel:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 04:42 PM »
or is the question ? can any of teamsano remember what they got upto after all the booze. ;)

Offline midschooljon

• Flip-Whip
    • Make Your Bones
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 06:48 PM »
Ive got a SANO story that still makes me laugh to this day...

A few years ago I wanted to get to the Coventry backyard jam but had no lift there. The guys from Dig magazine said I could get a ride with them if I worked in their booth for a few hours each day selling magazines and t shirts. I took them up on their offer and spent most of the day selling shirts and mags. One kid in particular had come past 2 or 3 times begging his mom for a Dig T shirt but she wasn't having any of it. Then on the sunday he arrived with a massive smile on his face saying his mom had given him the money for a T shirt, and he was going to get all the pros to sign it. This kid was over the moon! Im talking monumental moment in his life type of excitement.... Anyway, over the rest of the day I saw him running around getting all the pros to sign it. By late afternoon the shirt was almost full and the kids was beaming with his backyard souvenir. Next thing I notice he walks up to Gogo with a big smile on his face and asks him to sign his prize T shirt. Gogo naturally obliges, and proceeds to draw a MASSIVE cock and balls right on the front of the T shirt!!!!!  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: The kids face just dropped and all the hours of excitement just drained from him in seconds. The kid was GUTTED!!!! He walked away with his head hanging down looking like he was about to burst into tears. Ive never seen a kid so broken in my life.  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

To this day thats the one thing I remember from the Coventry backyard jam. I can hardly remember any of the riding but team SANO destroying that kids dreams remains clear as day. haha
RAMP ROOM HOFFMAN FLASH
ELF Double Cross XL.
UGP plates and pad sets
Mid School Race Kit

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 06:51 PM »
yep ..sounds about right hahaha

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 07:03 PM »
pete quad and stodgy dave used to ride a fair bit with gerry galley in the old barn.
be worth a pm to either to see what he's up to.
saw him ride at one of the meets we had a few years back and was stiil going massive even though the place was like a skating rink  :shocked:
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline not johndub71

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 09:40 PM »
Shearcliffe in Tupton/chesterfield and London rd in Sheffield come to mind.
Facebook/Fr35Hair

Offline gary67

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 10:03 PM »
Cong came round my house the other day and i asked him about Gerry,said he aint riding and hasnt for quite awhile!Shame... :(

Offline egg

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 10:24 AM »
RADLANDS the early comps there were awesome!

Offline gary67

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 10:35 AM »
RADLANDS the early comps there were awesome!
Wish it was stil open,only 10 mins ride away :'( Kids go back tomorrow might have a ride down to Radlands plaza see if its anygood for bikes,heard its more suited to skaters etc though,not suprised!

teamsano

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2012, 05:00 PM »
Ive got a SANO story that still makes me laugh to this day...

A few years ago I wanted to get to the Coventry backyard jam but had no lift there. The guys from Dig magazine said I could get a ride with them if I worked in their booth for a few hours each day selling magazines and t shirts. I took them up on their offer and spent most of the day selling shirts and mags. One kid in particular had come past 2 or 3 times begging his mom for a Dig T shirt but she wasn't having any of it. Then on the sunday he arrived with a massive smile on his face saying his mom had given him the money for a T shirt, and he was going to get all the pros to sign it. This kid was over the moon! Im talking monumental moment in his life type of excitement.... Anyway, over the rest of the day I saw him running around getting all the pros to sign it. By late afternoon the shirt was almost full and the kids was beaming with his backyard souvenir. Next thing I notice he walks up to Gogo with a big smile on his face and asks him to sign his prize T shirt. Gogo naturally obliges, and proceeds to draw a MASSIVE cock-a-doodle-do and balls right on the front of the T shirt!!!!!  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: The kids face just dropped and all the hours of excitement just drained from him in seconds. The kid was GUTTED!!!! He walked away with his head hanging down looking like he was about to burst into tears. Ive never seen a kid so broken in my life.  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

To this day thats the one thing I remember from the Coventry backyard jam. I can hardly remember any of the riding but team SANO destroying that kids dreams remains clear as day. haha

haha, i don't remember that. :2funny:

there was a similar story from KOC where a young rider approached jon taylor and scott timmins with a real autograph book looking for signatures, jon happily obliged then handed the book to scott who signed 'SNORT COCAINE' and closed the book handing it back to the kid before he could see what he wrote. :4_17_5:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mid school UK documentary film - Ideas wanted

gfxgfx
gfx gfx