gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975649 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6349 Members - Latest Member: Kev667 July 07, 2024, 12:39 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Sorry for the terribly noob questions.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Sorry for the terribly noob questions.  (Read 2609 times)

Rossi46

Sorry for the terribly noob questions.
« on: July 09, 2012, 05:40 PM »
Hi folks. say, for example i wanted to put a modern set of wheels into an oldschool frame how would i go about it. My understanding is that the spindles on the newer type wheels are thicker than the oldschool stuff and therefore won't fit into the dropouts. Are the spindles easy to change on newer wheels ?

Whilst on the subject, i recently built an Aero reflex and bought Skyways for it. Fitting the front wheel was a nightmare. I was thinking that the spindle would just slide straight into the front fork dropout but the dropout was too narrow. I therefore had to remove the spindle, place the wheel between the forks in alignment and slide the spindle back through. This sounds easy enough until you factor in the fact that the spacer/securing nuts also needed to be threaded onto the spindle one by one as i managed to wind it further through the hub. There must be an easier way that i am just too stupid to have fathomed out because if i ever get a puncture i will not be happy.

Help !!!

P.S. The rear skyway was easy to fit because the dropout is much wider.

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Sorry for the terribly noob questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 05:43 PM »
Whilst on the subject, i recently built an Aero reflex and bought Skyways for it. Fitting the front wheel was a nightmare. I was thinking that the spindle would just slide straight into the front fork dropout but the dropout was too narrow. I therefore had to remove the spindle, place the wheel between the forks in alignment and slide the spindle back through. This sounds easy enough until you factor in the fact that the spacer/securing nuts also needed to be threaded onto the spindle one by one as i managed to wind it further through the hub. There must be an easier way that i am just too stupid to have fathomed out because if i ever get a puncture i will not be happy.

This one is easy, you can buy replacement spindles that have been flattened and will fit in the 3/8ths forks  :daumenhoch:
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 05:51 PM »

..........here's a link to "winstanleysBMX" they do Skyway replacement flat axles....................

http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/36653/Skyway_1365mm_x_38_Front_Axle_wFlat_Spot

:daumenhoch:

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 06:23 PM »

..........here's a link to "winstanleysBMX" they do Skyway replacement flat axles....................

http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/36653/Skyway_1365mm_x_38_Front_Axle_wFlat_Spot

:daumenhoch:

That's the one :daumenhoch:
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 10:32 PM »
Or just buy some already done for you :angel: :2funny: >:D

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=147674.0

(shameless plug :2funny: )
Still limping......

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 10:35 PM »
file or angle grinder!!  :daumenhoch:

deeman

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 01:19 AM »
The new skyways axle is too thick for old school dropouts,You will either need to buy a replacement flat axle from winstanleys as mentioned above, which is the proper way of dealing with this common problem.Or you will need to put the axle in a vice and file it flat in the places where it fits into the dropouts.The last and most costly option is to buy a pair of 80's alloy hubbed tuffs which have the correct axle fitted! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 01:21 AM by deeman »

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 07:22 AM »
remember having this exact same problem 3 years ago   :LolLolLolLol:  still having them now, keeps the old school blood pumping  :smitten:

Rossi46

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 03:42 PM »
Thanks for the responses folks. It all makes perfect sense now. Now where did i put that angle grinder ???

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Sorry for the terribly noob questions.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx