gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975644 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 05, 2024, 02:44 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Out with the Beringers ... In with the T3s
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Out with the Beringers ... In with the T3s  (Read 5447 times)

SaMAlex

Out with the Beringers ... In with the T3s
« on: February 07, 2012, 10:37 AM »
Ive been using Beringer bars for a few years. Even though I really like the feel of them, I don’t love how they look. They have a tighter curve at the stem and they are a bit Triangular. I like the rounded “D” shape of Slam bars but Slams seem a bit droopy to me. I prefer bars with more upsweep.

Then I saw that the S&M T3 Race bars have more upsweep than Slams but they are pretty much the same shape
(T4 race bars are even more like Beringers with the same curve at the stem).

The T3’s are a bit wider than beringers so I cut them down to 28” wide (1/2 wider than I had my beringers at).
Now to see how they feel.

The thing is, now I’ve got “Slam shape” bars on, I already miss the look of the Beringers!  :crazy2:
(2 old pics of my bike with beringers)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:56 PM by S&MAlex »

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Out with the Beringers ... In with the T3s
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 10:40 AM »
 :LolLolLolLol:  good to see them all laid out Alex, i think i prefer the look of the Beringers as well  :daumenhoch:

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 10:46 AM »
Be interested to see how they feel riding Alex - I've ridden Slams (and Oddy Lumberjacks now, which lets face it ARE Slams) for years - had some very cut down Berringers a while back though - too cut down, over the bars cut down  :D
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

SaMAlex

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 10:55 AM »
I run my bars SLIGHTLY forward of in-line with the forks (NS bars are often run slightly back of in-line). I also ride quite over the bars. Front brake stuff, with an upright style. Loads of NS riding is all off the back of the bike. Jumps and whips with a low seat, almost sitting on the back wheel. I find bars with only 1deg of upsweep slope down too much and I like more upsweep (4deg on Beringers, 3deg on T3s). I used Slams ages ago but since then Ive used Butler and 2 BSD bars all with more than 1deg upsweep.

I think that "D" shape bars look great but maybe they look better when they are higher than 8" rise. The T3s look a bit wide-n-low. I dont plan on using taller bars so I'll see how they feel ... but I might go back to the Trusty Beringers yet.

motomagII

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 11:06 AM »
i love my berringer xlts but i have gone and tried a set we the people 8.5 rise bars at moment and they feel odd .

SaMAlex

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 11:13 AM »
I think if I wanted to rise my grips up I'd stick with 8" rise bars get a topload stem
But I dont want do to that! Ive been using a redneck for nearly 20 years!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 11:29 AM »
i prefer the look of the beringers :daumenhoch:

ive recently stopped running my slam xlt's (28in wide)

have gone back to my s&m meduim bar light's (24.5 wide)

and love em, front end feels much more responsive esp on nosepicks etc... :smitten: :smitten:

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 11:36 AM »

have gone back to my s&m meduim bar light's (24.5 wide)

and love em, front end feels much more responsive esp on nosepicks etc... :smitten: :smitten:

That's the prob I had with my Beringers apres cut down - find it hard to control the front end with anything less than around 25 width. Did the same to some Jumping Bars and spent more time on my arse than on the bike :) Then again I'm a lanky sod, so.....

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 11:45 AM »
strange how a slight mm can make it all feel different - some times you can get used to it and it will feel better, but some times it can feel just off and wrong
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

JT71

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 11:51 AM »
can rely on you do do summat different eh?

race bars for a freestyler? ha ha! Next thing you'll be thinking about jumping those triples...actually...weren't we supposed to go back there for you to tame them!

I think i liked the Beringer look, I don't know how, but they seemed to look more midschool!

I really like the smal slams do they come in chrome?

You should have left the race sticker on for those kids at the parks "hey mr, are you using race bars...and a front brake"

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 12:14 PM »
A vote for the Beringers from Me as well! I'm biased though, I don't like bars with a big box, or whatever it's called on them.
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

motomagII

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 12:58 PM »
whats the difference on the t3 t4 and slam bars they look same to me

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:

SaMAlex

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 01:49 PM »
whats the difference on the t3 t4 and slam bars they look same to me

The T3 bars are similar shape to slams but with different sweeps, and lighter

The T4 bars are similar (identical) shape to Beringers but lighter.
Its the "Dual-radius" bit that makes them a different shape to slams, with a smaller "box"

S&M Slam XLT Bar
28" Width
8" Rise
12 backsweep
1 upsweep
1.7 lb

S&M T3 Race Bar
28" Width
8" Rise
10 backsweep
3 upsweep
1.6 lbs.

S&M Beringer XLT Bar
"dual-radias design and bends"
27" Width
8" Rise
10 backsweep
4 upsweep
1.6 lbs

S&M T4 Race Bar
"Dual-radius mandrel bends"
27" Width
8" Rise
10 backsweep
4 upsweep
1.5 lbs

"The Dual Radias design uses tight lower bends to give you plenty of knee room and wider bends up top for added strength"

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:33 PM by S&MAlex »

SaMAlex

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 01:55 PM »
I think i liked the Beringer look, I don't know how, but they seemed to look more midschool!

Yeah, i know what you mean. I like how clean NS bikes look, what with no brakes. I thought it might be the bar shape that was making my bike look messy but it is just the brakes doing that, and it looks worse with the wider box bars.

You should have left the race sticker on for those kids at the parks "hey mr, are you using race bars...and a front brake"

I have left the race sticker on. The last 2 pics are old pics of the Beringer bars  :daumenhoch:

motomagII

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 02:15 PM »
sorted now t3 if i got any then wider bars and less upsweep

elevensies

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 10:05 AM »
i like the beringers better... 8)

they are my fave bar, and im running
 i have some medium bars which are nice too, but beringers rule

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 02:05 PM »
Alex stop messing around with bars and re-varnish the floor :LolLolLolLol:
Where is the rise of the bars measured, If its at the end then surely having more up-sweep gives a higher rise, And if you cut the bars down it lowers the rise. I know we are only talking small amounts here.
This could be my What's a looptail moment. :crazy2:

SaMAlex

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 09:22 AM »
Where is the rise of the bars measured, If its at the end then surely having more up-sweep gives a higher rise, And if you cut the bars down it lowers the rise. I know we are only talking small amounts here.

Im working on a clear way to reply to this. I might have to take some photos  :daumenhoch:

nosepickben

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 10:19 AM »
good thread, beringers are my favourite bars, i totally agree that for years, they didn't quite look right. Most people over last few years have used slam-esque clones, and i agree with the fact that, unfortunately, it's the brakes that make bikes look "messy" around the bar area. But you can't have it all! I love the extra upsweep that beringers have, and i've got used to how they look. Long live beringer bars!

SaMAlex

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 10:28 AM »
Im finally gunna take the T3s for a real test ride tonight. Ive got a bit more used to how they look and they dont seem as bad. They still seem a bit wide at the base but I wanna try them and see how they feel, esp as they are a bit wider so Im interested to see how that goes.

It hasn't helped that I watched a web clip today with Beringer in it and he is totally riding a front brake now.
That almost means that I HAVE to use his bars!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 07:12 PM »

Im working on a clear way to reply to this. I might have to take some photos  :daumenhoch:
I always thought that bar height/rise was measured from the centre of the knurled area to the centre of tube where the grip goes. I would  measure mine by putting them on my kitchen side and have the grip ends pushed against the back wall. Then measure from the wall to the top of the knurled section. I might have to take a pic :)
Floor unvarnished and riding on Valetine's night, Your just asking for trouble :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 08:53 PM »
Nice feature in Ride :daumenhoch:

SaMAlex

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 11:05 AM »
Where is the rise of the bars measured, If its at the end then surely having more up-sweep gives a higher rise, And if you cut the bars down it lowers the rise.
I always thought that bar height/rise was measured from the centre of the knurled area to the centre of tube where the grip goes. I would measure mine by putting them on my kitchen side and have the grip ends pushed against the back wall. Then measure from the wall to the top of the knurled section.

You are right that if you pushed a set of bars against a wall, the grip area wouldn’t sit flat against the wall because of the upsweep (unless they had zero upsweep). If you set the bars upside down on a surface and let the grip area lay flat, the bars will sit upright at the same angle of the upsweep. If you then measure the height of the bars at that angle, it will be independent of the upsweep and the width.

As to where the bars are actually measured from, it should be centre of stem area to centre of grip section, but Im sure this gets confused.
(It took ages for the frame top-tube length to become fixed at “centre of Headtube to centre of seat tube”!  >:()

Nice feature in Ride

Thanks  :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:08 AM by S&MAlex »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Out with the Beringers ... In with the T3s

gfxgfx
gfx gfx