gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975644 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 05, 2024, 02:40 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  1" threaded vs 1 and 1/8" threadless
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 1" threaded vs 1 and 1/8" threadless  (Read 8346 times)

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: 1" threaded vs 1 and 1/8" threadless
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2011, 07:27 PM »
the single greatest thing to happen to the bmx bike.

A little off topic but on the subject of headtubes, do you recall the KHE internal gyro headtubes?

Oh man.

Nasty, the 1st version looked like a bean can & the 2nd looked like a flowerpot  :LolLolLolLol:
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

gobshite

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2011, 07:31 PM »
"ahhhhj!!!..........all i need iz just von off my patented bmx products to take off and i vill be rich!!!!!!!!........."

fooking khe, what a shower of bmx shit :LolLolLolLol:

theRuler

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 07:34 PM »

KHE made some awesome stuff, and had great riders . . . . up until the coke can headtube unpleasentness

I recall one rider (Marcus Wilke I think) left the team because of it (alledgedly)

gobshite

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2011, 07:43 PM »

KHE made some awesome stuff, and had great german riders . . . . up until the coke can headtube unpleasentness

I recall one rider (Marcus Wilke I think) left the team because of it (alledgedly)

in fairness to him Goring has put a couple of half decent products out over the years, the premium laggers and beaters were ok. and the light tyres were ok if you put up with constant flats....

its like he's george french without the logic or engineering morals :LolLolLolLol:

after seeing the first internal gyro i just lost all respect for them as a company...

theRuler

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2011, 07:47 PM »
after seeing the first internal gyro i just lost all respect for them as a company...

That's how I felt.

This should have never made it past the prototype stages.
Someone in KHE (and to be fair there must have been some pretty good BMX minds in there) should have said "hang on a minute guys, this looks like shit and has no benefits!"

The premium lagger was a great bike (although the 1st gen was a little bendy!)
And the Catweasle - another great bit of kit.

griff

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2011, 04:36 PM »

I thought that was you joe?
 ;)

gobshite

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2011, 05:14 PM »

I thought that was you joe?
 ;)

aaaawww bless,

are we holding a little grudge? :'(

let it go, feel the love..... :smitten:

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2011, 05:20 PM »
khe still make some of the best freecoasters, at least they still cater for flatlanders.

SaMAlex

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2011, 06:40 PM »
There was a kinda changeover period where a few manufacturers made 1" clamp on stuff.

i think initially it was s&m's bi-product, menstrual cycles, then a few other manufacturers followed suit,
moliterno went with the "1-1/8th  and moeller and the rest of them followed suit,

S&M and Standard both had 1 1/8 out at about the same time (Standard got to the shops first, but I know that S&M were looking at it about a year before that, as im sure  Standard were too).

The reason some people kept a 1" clamp on set up going was because of gyros. The first people to go "oversize" were straight cable, dirt riders but it took a while for odyssey (or anyone else) to bring out an over size gyro. When there was an oversize gyro, the 1" setup got DROPPED fast!

Oh, one more thing. 1" clamp on was also good for people who had a 1" frame but wanted to upgrade to stronger forks, but werent able to get a whole and frame n fork set up. Again, they soon drifted away.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 06:43 PM by S&MAlex »

theRuler

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2011, 07:22 PM »
Oh, one more thing. 1" clamp on was also good for people who had a 1" frame but wanted to upgrade to stronger forks, but werent able to get a whole and frame n fork set up. Again, they soon drifted away.

Also for companies that had a brace of 1" frames in stock!

christhejob

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2011, 07:48 PM »

S&M and Standard both had 1 1/8 out at about the same time (Standard got to the shops first, but I know that S&M were looking at it about a year before that, as im sure  Standard were too).

The reason some people kept a 1" clamp on set up going was because of gyros. The first people to go "oversize" were straight cable, dirt riders but it took a while for odyssey (or anyone else) to bring out an over size gyro. When there was an oversize gyro, the 1" setup got DROPPED fast!

will evans and i made our own o/s gyros in early 95, 5 minutes with a file and a piece of ice cream tub to make a smaller bearing seal.  it was incredibly easy, so we both got pimp and ordered translucent over chrome custom ahead standards. get us!!

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2011, 08:08 PM »
also gt bought out the fueler in early 94 with 1-1/8th headset :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2011, 10:50 AM »

are we holding a little grudge? :'(

let it go, feel the love..... :smitten:

never my dear chap - still waiting for you to come and join us fookwits for a group cuddle at TRM1
we don't bite, but Ed may try and put a wig on you

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2011, 11:24 AM »
old school for show. new school to ride................... simples

Steve, when did you start ACTUALLY riding then mate ???

Or do you mean gay cruising on one of the London rides :shocked: :2funny:

Love and hugs mate - my 1" threaded still works just fine on all the ramps I ride thanks :yahoo_silent: :coolsmiley:
Still limping......

theRuler

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2011, 11:37 AM »
Old school bikes can ride ok.
I guess it depends on the setup, and the type of riding you want to do.

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2011, 11:51 AM »
I guess it depends on the setup, and the type of riding you want to do

Yep, you've seen my riding skills G :2funny:

I can drop in, jump out, do a few turns and jump over a jump-box but I'm never gonna set the BMX freestyle world alight, I just enjoy riding my bikes. I've done a lot of research and development over the last 5 years I've been back into riding and my Badlander has great geometry, good coping clearance, is relatively light and takes a kicking everytime I fall off, so I'm well happy with it. Tried NS and didn't really like the feel, but will have to go there if my riding gets any better I know (but I doubt it will :2funny: )

Fookin' headset kept coming loose mind untill I'd got it bed in fully and a lock-nut :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :uglystupid2:
Still limping......

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2011, 12:13 PM »
there's no getting away from it that the 1 1/8th is miles better than the 1" threaded but you stay with what you know and like Spen......it's all good mate  :daumenhoch:

theRuler

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2011, 12:15 PM »
Run what ya brung, so long as you are riding!

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2011, 12:19 PM »
Run what ya brung, so long as you are riding!

Yep, couldn't agree more bud - at least I'm riding, unlike 90% of the members on here sat at home polishing :shocked: :2funny:
Still limping......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  1" threaded vs 1 and 1/8" threadless

gfxgfx
gfx gfx