gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975653 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6351 Members - Latest Member: Spencerkidd July 07, 2024, 09:04 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Dirt Bros.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Dirt Bros.  (Read 3637 times)

lk_97

Dirt Bros.
« on: November 20, 2011, 01:35 PM »
Who had the dirt bros frame, with one green skyway and a spoke? Better still, who has pictures? I really like these bikes, but I know I won't get one as it is still a t.a frame!

:daumenhoch:

gobshite

Re: Dirt Bros.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 06:38 PM »
Who had the dirt bros frame, with one green skyway and a spoke? Better still, who has pictures? I really like these bikes, but I know I won't get one as it is still a t.a frame!

:daumenhoch:

pretty sure harris has one :daumenhoch:

only the early ones were TA's, the later frames,shortbus,patriot,were completely different,

lk_97

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 06:57 PM »
If anybody has pictures it would be appreciated :daumenhoch: and ahh right, you learn something everyday! :daumenhoch: am I right that the early bars were hoffman too?

gobshite

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 07:06 PM »

gobshite

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 07:08 PM »
dunno about the bars, would'nt be suprised if some came out of the ramp room though, harris or JT71 might know,

vic murphy fooking rocks.

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 07:25 PM »

lk_97

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 07:27 PM »
They're so nice, I'm styling my 88 sport on these type of bikes, check this video out: http://bmxmdb.com/films/130-Ride-On

lk_97

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 07:30 PM »
If only this t shirt wasn't out of stock:

http://dirtbrosbmx.bigcartel.com/product/mag-trip

SaMAlex

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 08:49 AM »
am I right that the early bars were hoffman too?

Nope, not Hoffman. The first "dirtBros" frame and forks were TA frames (hooked up cos Eddie Roman used to ride for skyway, so he got hold of a load of unwanted TA frames) with redline forks. They probably used redline bars but the Bully bars were similar to (and some of the Dirt Bros started riding for Bully for a while).

TA frames were (and are) crappy, but it was sort of meant as an anti-tech statement: it doesnt matter what frame you ride, just get a bike and ride it. Even an old TA will do! Even with one Tuff wheel!

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 11:13 AM »
poolysheriff has one built up.
pm him he'll send you a pic.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 11:42 AM »
were they all ta xl frames or can a std ta frame be used?

LENNY-LENTINI

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 04:29 PM »
Dude.

All you need to do is watch the vid below.

The Vw gang tend to think they invented 'Ratstyle' but it exhisted years ago in BMX.

The whole Idea was that it was the riding that you got the buzz from not polishing a wafer thin flourescent thief magnet.

We knew that a front skyway looked off balance and odd but we ran one to say 'I know it looks weird but I'm still gonna ride it anyway'.

As soon as our bikes changed we suddenly found we could ride all the Ghetto spots (Hyson Green Nottm, Kelvin Banks Sheff etc...) with no hassle at all. Bonus

anyways enjoy

/>
Keep the Faith. L

lk_97

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 04:29 PM »
am I right that the early bars were hoffman too?

Nope, not Hoffman. The first "dirtBros" frame and forks were TA frames (hooked up cos Eddie Roman used to ride for skyway, so he got hold of a load of unwanted TA frames) with redline forks. They probably used redline bars but the Bully bars were similar to (and some of the Dirt Bros started riding for Bully for a while).

TA frames were (and are) crappy, but it was sort of meant as an anti-tech statement: it doesnt matter what frame you ride, just get a bike and ride it. Even an old TA will do! Even with one Tuff wheel!

Oh right, the bully bars are really nice, I'd like to build one up, but because it's a TA they're not gonna be cheap and I bet most were turned into TA's anyway, I like the way they did things and why the company was started as well.

lk_97

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 04:40 PM »
Dude.

All you need to do is watch the vid below.

The Vw gang tend to think they invented 'Ratstyle' but it exhisted years ago in BMX.

The whole Idea was that it was the riding that you got the buzz from not polishing a wafer thin flourescent thief magnet.

We knew that a front skyway looked off balance and odd but we ran one to say 'I know it looks weird but I'm still gonna ride it anyway'.

As soon as our bikes changed we suddenly found we could ride all the Ghetto spots (Hyson Green Nottm, Kelvin Banks Sheff etc...) with no hassle at all. Bonus

anyways enjoy

/>
Thanks for the vid, I'll watch it now, I like the look of one tuff wheel and one spoke, gonna have to ride my sport to boardroom, and hopefully T1. I like the style, as well as freestyle bikes but i like what late 80s and early 90's bikes stood for.

Lucas.

Keep the Faith. L

theRuler

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 04:42 PM »

I think it could have been more out of necessity.
The rear hub on tuffs would fail much sooner than the front, so you tended to end up with orphan fronts.

By the end of the 80's I had a large collection of BMX stuff (basically all my mates' bikes) and I only had a couple of working back wheels, compared to a wealth of fronts.
A lot of the time, I would end up with a bike because the back wheel was scrap and the bike had become unridable (and therefore of little value)

I blame pegs and thin dropouts!!!

There was a resurgance of running a front Tuff a few years ago.  To look "retro".

LENNY-LENTINI

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 04:47 PM »
It doesn't have to be a TA.

Just get a mid school frame that looks similar Rattle Can spray it white (unless they do white hammerite) . Add some chrome forks and some 4 piece chrome bars and sticker it up and scratch it.

Get a front skyway and some comp st's or some knobbly tires and your away.

In fact that's what I'm gonna do.

PS 'oldtired' runs some Mint cond' Chrome Bully Bars on his rider but he'd never part with them.

Keep the Faith. L

LENNY-LENTINI

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 04:55 PM »

I think it could have been more out of necessity.
The rear hub on tuffs would fail much sooner than the front, so you tended to end up with orphan fronts.

By the end of the 80's I had a large collection of BMX stuff (basically all my mates' bikes) and I only had a couple of working back wheels, compared to a wealth of fronts.
A lot of the time, I would end up with a bike because the back wheel was scrap and the bike had become unridable (and therefore of little value)

I blame pegs and thin dropouts!!!

There was a resurgance of running a front Tuff a few years ago.  To look "retro".

Good point Ruler

Just about everybody who rode was skint in the early 90's.

We cannibalised owt we could to get a bike together.

I always felt more relaxed when my bike looked like shit but rode well.

theRuler

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 05:06 PM »
We cannibalised owt we could to get a bike together.

I always felt more relaxed when my bike looked like shit but rode well.

I didn't really used to think about how the bike looked, by the close of the 80's.
I had got a set of parts that I liked built up into a bike, and rode them.

I was running a Gen one Haro frame, LG copy forks (off my old fox 4styler - I preferred them to the Haro ones for some reason!), Sumo alloys (off an old Silverfox),  Vector bars with built in stem, and whatever MX1000 copy brakes I had at the time. Cranks were always 1pc.  Pedals were DX copies.  Each tube had more patches than Dot Cotton trying to give up smoking.

I recall tyres being the commodity that were hard to find.  There were no BMX shops round my way (and I had no money anyway) so I would be using all sorts.

Snakebellies off Raleigh Burners were useful.  I had a couple of Burners - mainly for the tyres.  The rest was useless shit (except maybe the stems).

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Dirt Bros.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx