gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 06:30 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  preparing to paint
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: preparing to paint  (Read 967 times)

Daddybass

preparing to paint
« on: December 06, 2009, 08:33 PM »
Hi guys what do i need to do before i get a cheap f+f wet sprayed do i nitromors the old paint then wet and dry down through the grits and then get it primed :-\

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: preparing to paint
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 07:31 AM »
if the original paint is in good condition then just rub all the paint over with 400grit to key the new paint, and then just go over the top with your new paint....
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Daddybass

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 08:44 PM »
Cheers what if theres a bit of rust here and there but apart from that not too bad

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 05:53 PM »
you will need to get rid of all that as well, otherwise it will show through your paint, if it is quite bad then i would get it shot blasted then powdered, then use your powder as a good undercoat and go over the top in your chosen base coat (colour) then get it 2 pack laquared...

Daddybass

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 08:21 PM »
Nice one im not powder coating im either gonna wet spray or rattle can as its a rider for my son :daumenhoch:

Daddybass

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 06:30 PM »
Can i rattle can wet spray after 400 grit sanding?

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 07:06 PM »
yes, you can basecoat right over 400 sanding, just a few light coats will cover all the marks underneath...

Daddybass

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 07:33 PM »
Thanks meticulus youve been a great help on this thread im ready to go now i think 8)

Daddybass

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 07:51 PM »
One more thing do i need to base coat and what is base coat sorry for being a lemon but alot of this is still new to me  :-[

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 09:10 PM »
basecoat is the colour, put on before the laquar, unless you are doing it in direct gloss, then the colour will not need a laquar to finish, acrylic aerosol laquar is shite though, as it is difficult to get a good finish, taking lots of polish, my advice would be to do it direct gloss if you are rattle can spraying it, a few very light coats to build up the colour and hide the previous flatting down followed by a couple of thickish coats to get a nice flow....   leave about 5-10mins though before aplying another coat otherwise is may run if its too thick, especiallyin the nooks and crannies were the paint can easily build up too much...

good luck ;)

Daddybass

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 10:11 PM »
Meticulous your help has been a real eye opener thanks :-[

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  preparing to paint

gfxgfx
gfx gfx