gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975632 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 29, 2024, 10:59 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Brakes
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Brakes  (Read 2393 times)

adam68

Brakes
« on: December 21, 2009, 04:24 PM »
Can anyone tell me why 99% of free stye bikes dont use the v type of brakes when there so much better???

JT71

Re: Brakes
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 04:45 PM »
define better?

aren't V's more off and on, than say a 990? therefore someone with the right skills could use 990 more for very slight and precise feathering of the brake, for example
when doing manuals that wouldn't be so good with a V?

I could be completely wrong though.

adam68

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 04:58 PM »
See what you mean, I am used to v's and discs on mountain bikes. Maybe i need to inprove my skills....

JT71

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 05:13 PM »
oh and my 990s stop real good. set-up is key. twobobrob showed me the way!

telelogic

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 10:03 AM »
Can't use a gyro with a V brake!

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 01:46 PM »
I always assumed it was because it was tricky to route the cable for a v brake, and generally they were an awkward shape and size for chainstay mounting.

I'd not thought of the obvious gyro reason.....  :-[

As JT71 said though, get it set up properly and there's no reason why it won't work just fine on a 20 inch wheel   :)

madmike-bmx

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 10:01 PM »
yes u can mate .... i got some old shit halford bike in the garden and it has v brakes and a gyro :P

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 10:56 PM »
I had a look round at what was on offer and the v brakes on a lot of cheap BMX bikes are only 2/3 the length of standard mountain bike ones.
I ended up buying a GT bike with u brakes which was on sale at the time. A lot of bikes only have the mounts on the back for a u brake and just have a standard caliper.

christhejob

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 10:25 AM »
yes u can mate .... i got some old shit halford bike in the garden and it has v brakes and a gyro :P

shit halford bike

i rest my case.. you ever seen a kid on one of those shit bikes with brakes that work???

v brakes would never hold up to proper freestyle u brake use!!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 10:26 AM by christhejob »

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 01:21 PM »
 :) One of the local kids has a cheapo "freestyle" bike,alloy frame,v-brake on the chainstays (WTF)  & the noodle is massive and gets ripped off by the crank arm every time he pedals.

magna13

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 02:41 PM »
AD990's rule :daumenhoch: and yes set-up is the key to this brake :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 02:44 PM »
no Zak...AD999 Rule  :daumenhoch:

;D

magna13

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 02:48 PM »
 ::) ::) not this again... cough... AD990 cough...

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 02:52 PM »
hows about Magura's on v mounts with a hydraulic gyro....just for balance  :D
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 03:40 PM »
I set those up (or summat very similar) on a mates bike back in the 90s. No gyro mind, but hydros on v mounts.

They were crap.  No feel whatsoever - on/off and that's yer lot.

I have an AD999 on the back of my new bike. It looks cool, and is a nice bit of kit, but I can't say in all honesty it works any better than a good 'ole 990. But then, I can set them up, so it should bloody work, I never had any complaints with 990s.

For the money, you can't beat a Hombre. Throw those green pads away (unless you're using them on the front), stick on some slightly softer pads and you're good to go. Should cost you less than a score all in.   Happy days    :)

adam68

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 10:10 AM »
I set those up (or summat very similar) on a mates bike back in the 90s. No gyro mind, but hydros on v mounts.

They were crap.  No feel whatsoever - on/off and that's yer lot.

I have an AD999 on the back of my new bike. It looks cool, and is a nice bit of kit, but I can't say in all honesty it works any better than a good 'ole 990. But then, I can set them up, so it should bloody work, I never had any complaints with 990s.

For the money, you can't beat a Hombre. Throw those green pads away (unless you're using them on the front), stick on some slightly softer pads and you're good to go. Should cost you less than a score all in.   Happy days    :)

What are the best soft pads to get????

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 07:09 PM »
You'll get a hundred different answers to that one....   I got good results from a cheap set of Clarks blocks out of Halfrauds. About £6 the pair, plain black. Be sure to deglaze them nicely on a bit of sandpaper or concrete floor before you fit 'em.

If you're having trouble setting your u brake up, let me know and I'll knock up a little how-to vid over the hols   :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Brakes

gfxgfx
gfx gfx