gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975625 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 27, 2024, 08:39 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Vert? A dying sport?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Vert? A dying sport?  (Read 5992 times)

markatkins

Vert? A dying sport?
« on: December 05, 2009, 09:05 AM »
I remember in the late 80s when skate vert was huge and then it just ended and all went to street.
Im starting to feel that bmx vert could one day go that way. Being mainly a vert rider i hope not but no one seems to ride vert now. In the UK i bet theres only 20 max who are well into vert and its always the same names in the states.
Its pretty mad how no young riders want to get into vert always saying the ramps are just too big etc.
Have to wait and see what happens eh.........maybe the older guys on RADBMX should join me at Corby for a vert session!

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
Re: Vert? A dying sport?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 09:10 AM »
i think the % of vert riders has always been low as its scarry as hell
had a dable at it in the mid 90s at radlands and a few months at leigh on sea
just couldnt get the feel or nuts to just bust at full bore..the young ones i just dont know
one day it might all go mad and youll struggle for ramp time...as you know it can just happen...i hope it does.

lodge

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 10:10 AM »
I think your right mark vert is dying whether we like it or not and it has been since the early 90's,  people thought the vert ramp at corby was gonna encourage people into vert but it doesn't seem to have gone that way, I rode corby on thursday afternoon the park had around 25-30 riders in but the lights were off on the vert their just not interested in it, in fact every time i have been to corby i haven't seen anyone using the vert, this explains why there are so few vert ramps around.
Its a difficult situation I think as the uk needed a competition level vert ramp to produce pro level riders but because competition level vert ramps are so big kids just dont go near it, the risk factor is high as the ramps are so big, chances are your not gonna walk away if you fook up the simplest of moves such as rolling in, also is a 12 year old gonna get a bigger buzz riding vert than the rest of the park? its questionable.
Its a shame but look at the age of the pro vert riders and most of them are our age, this situation is not sustainable for that much longer so what then?

Whats really annoying is when you see people like wade, hawk doing 14 foot airs on 11 foot quaters, they would be so good on vert if they would ride it!

markatkins

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 10:23 AM »
You should let me know when you ride Corby next and ill come down.
Corby vert is always dead, apart from kids using the resi as a slide and everyone wanting to learn flairs.
We have the vert to ourselves. I often sit on the ramp and think, fook, bitd this ramp would have been full with riders!
Your right about some of the park riders blasting massive airs. Some of them say vert is scary but they still manage to get over 10ft with a piss pot on lol. Would be good to see how some of them rode vert.

lodge

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 10:29 AM »
Yeah sorry mark I would have let you know but I threw the bike in and didn't know when I was gonna get the chance to go, gonna be going at least once a month now as got regular work down there.
I bumped into Waddy on thursday and rode with him all afternoon which was cool, rode mini though not vert hehe.

oldschool rider

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 11:33 AM »
I think one of the problems is Vert Ramps, I mean there isn't as many vert ramps as mini ramps in the country and kids ride what is available and more importantly what is fashionable. Now I have only watched the Uk scene from afar for many years as I moved to Spain around the time of Mid school but here I guess is like everywhere else albeit on a smaller scale than the Uk because it's still a fairly new sport here.

(BITD) - Those 4 favourite letters for the over 35's, people who rode BMX rode everything there was Tracks, Ramps,Street & Flatland now it has all been segrigated (Sp) into what seems to be different sports. I think it was Jamie Bestwick who said in an interview at the worlds that Street & Park are so popular because it's easier and quicker to get results in these disciplins than in Vert or Flatland which require much more practice and patience.

Cheers,
Steve :daumenhoch:

markatkins

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 11:40 AM »
Nice pic Glen. I know Corby is a big ramp but once your are used to it its alot of safer then smaller vert ramps.
The 2 ft of vert should not put riders off as the higher you go the less vert it feels.  Theres just a few barriers with the big ramps and once you have passed them your laughing.
Ive always said with vert no matter how big they are it fooking hurts when you fall.
Hope to session the vert with you soon Glen, ill have you way up there in no time!!

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 09:59 PM »
i used to ride vert bitd but was a skater then lol i like skaterhams one as nice to peg in as not got the balls to ride in
but corbys vert scared the crap out of me when i tried to peg in but loved getting up to the coping carving and stuff

jedi

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 12:11 AM »
corby is the 1st vert ramp i eevr rode.
was good to see you glenn this week.
im about 2ft out now and with the milk tray mans help(atkins) i will get higher

jedi

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 12:22 AM »
i tore my calf tuesday so will see how i heal as i got coaching weds/fridday

jedi

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 12:27 AM »
went to 3 the box and as i turned in it went  :(

jedi

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 12:31 AM »
high5,
gutted i missed going to skaterham tonight with atkins and co  :(

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 04:39 AM »
My old riding buddy through the 90s said that Freestyle was really only vert and flat - everything else was watered down from those two and in a way I agree with that.

As I was saying to someone at Skaterham tonight, there's no quick rewards on vert (or flat for that matter), it's just hard work and perseverance that gets you out the top of the ramp.  Consequently, a lot of kids won't be arsed to learn.  Couple that to the lack of sensible ramps about and that's vert riding dead in the water.

Which is a tragedy. I had a brilliant session tonight. As the worst rider on the ramp, having Mark and the others riding well and having fun inspired me to push a little harder and go a little higher - higher in fact than I've been since before my surgery. So happy days to that, and cheers everyone!

If we want vert to survive then we have to build the ramps.  In my opinion, 14ft is too big for a public park at this time.  If there were an abundance of vert ramps around and you could pick and choose, then no problem, but with only a handful about they need to be a little compromised and user friendly I think.  Like Skaterhams. At 11ft it works well. It's a real vert ramp no doubt, but nowhere near as terrifying as Corby.  It would have been cool if Corby had installed two ramps in that space, one at 10/11ft and one at the height it is now. I guarantee it would have attracted more riders.

But hey ho, all we can do is keep riding and maybe hope fashion shifts back in this direction and steers a few more kids into vert. Here's hoping  :)

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 08:13 AM »
have you all tried tabrons old ramp down in cornwall at mt hawk   thats a rather large beasty...looked fun but alas i couldnt try it as
i didnt fancy a splill that far from home,but has a nice roll in so would help you not drop in from the copping...

Offline gary4130

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 09:42 AM »
could it be also due to the lack of coverage in the mags- when was the last time ride covered a dew tour comp or x games event  :wtf:

jedi

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 10:46 AM »
i find corby easier to ride than skaterham/kings lynn/st neots. it feels more forgiving when i pull out to much. bigger ramp= more tranny

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 12:31 PM »
But you're at a certain level Tony. If you're rolling in that ramp and airing then you're beyond beginner.  I can't recall what's there at Corby, but would I be right in saying that there's a 7ft mini now? What else is there for people to drop in from?

If it's that 7 footer and then the vert ramp, that's a hell of a leap, a true vert ramp at an inbetween size makes sense.  Progression and all that   ;)

Voodoocars

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 03:44 PM »
I like vert ramps.Big ones like creation and corby are ok but so are the 11' ramps like redditch.Had a blast at creation today and went higher than I have done for ages.The ramps at redditch and bay 66 I find are a bit quick - ie as soon as you have landed you are up the other side.Depends on what you are used to tho'.As for rolling in..mine are a bit hit n miss since my mate snapped his arm in half and wrapped it round his neck dropping in  :shocked:. Its kind of put me off a bit...

markatkins

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 05:54 PM »
Wise words tworob. I agree it would be real good to have an 11ft vert ramp at Corby to learn on and for new vert riders.
When i first saw Skaterham it scared me how small it looked lol and at first felt really hard to ride and scary. Once use to it it was a fun ramp to ride and at times can be taken for granted! As i ride Corby you tend to think 11ft ramps are small but at the end of the day its still 11ft high and a long way down!!
Skaterham was a really good session and there seems to be a nice vert scene which is really good. Cant wait for the next one!

jedi

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 05:58 PM »
atkins, we need to get there for a sesh soon eh

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 06:06 PM »
There is a small but good scene at Skaterham. Monday and Thursday nights, although there's a Wednesday night session planned next year.

If we all turn up, that puts about 8 riders on the deck.  A good number for a session  :)

Wingham keeps threatening, but never shows   ::)   Mike Mullen is an occasional, when his schedule permits.

jedi

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 06:08 PM »
mike lives 3miles from me now. so mike said when i saw him last

Steve Shindig

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 06:22 PM »

I rode vert quite heavily in the 90's... I wasn't that great but could get 7 or 8 feet on a good day and had the 540s and barspins around 1-2 feet out or so.  I'm not saying that to self promote, but just to state that there's a little vert experience there.  This was before I moved away and didn't have a vert ramp to ride, so quit (big regrets ) )-:

A problem I think people have with vert now days isn't to do with the size of the ramp exactly, but actually to do with learning the pump and rolling in at speed.

On an 11-12 foot ramp, a rider can start on the flat, and pedal and pump and get up to their max height airs before the stamina and energy has run out.

With the 13-14 foot ramps, this is not as possible unless you're superman.  The only way to get a good pump and airs over 4 foot is with the speedy roll ins. 

Rolling in at speed on a 13+ ramp is probably one of the scariest things I can imagine... dunno why, but it is.  So, I think this plays a big factor with newer riders not wanting to / or knowing how to do it.    Even the super good street / park riders don't roll in smaller vert ramps generally.

Just a thought.

lodge

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 06:33 PM »
I agree, to watch bestiwick roll in is something else, he pedals like a racer off the gate before he hops over the coping.

Offline dirtyvans

• BMX Nerd
    • Energy Flash Records
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2009, 06:35 PM »
makes sense steev ;)

yeah good to have you Mark A , darren and jason there last night, some mad stuff going down!

verts dead.... its never gona be massive again, but its funny the young lads i bring to skaterham every week for the past few years have slowly got into it, one of them is really ripping now! they started riding it as the street course may have been busy, some evenings now at skaterham there have been more people on the vert than the rest of the park!!

lets hope the 11/12ft ramps dont disapear, as these are a real stepping stone to the contest size monster ramps

ps well done rob, really pushing yourself last night  :daumenhoch:

long live vert :)  - wooden waves vert ramp had its top surface removed for the street course this summer - not good :(

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Vert? A dying sport?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx