gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 11:54 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Brake pads needed that work in the wet
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Brake pads needed that work in the wet  (Read 5341 times)

moley

Brake pads needed that work in the wet
« on: December 02, 2009, 08:35 AM »
I have Araya RB-17 Rims and used Kool Stop dual compound thinline type pads.   Black and  Orange in colour with the angled tip and plow.

They look like this but without some of the writing on.   I think mine are slightly earlier versions because they were selling them off cheap.

In the wet at Bradford they didn't work at all.  I even tried sanding down the pad to wear them in a little and they were still shite.

The Rims are chrome.   I cleaned the rim with flash degreaser and then cleaned them with with some alcohol based cleaner and they were clean as fook.  No greasy residue left on the rim.   But as soon as the rain starts or they get wet then they fail.

I'm using a pitbull and it seems to work fine in the dry.

The winter series weather is only going to get worse and I would like to be able to brake.

So any ideas/recommendations on brakes pads.

Also, are chrome rims worse in the wet than other rims?

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
Re: Brake pads needed that work in the wet
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 08:41 AM »
chrome rims dude = nightmare! im havin same prob at mo, i've just invested in some gooey pads off ebay hopin they will do the trick along with upgrading to a linear cable, i think radshop has some clear pads too that may work well. dont think im gonna get a ride til coppull due to weather, so i'll let ya know how they work there :daumenhoch:

moley

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 08:51 AM »
Quote from: Alans BMX

Important Information About Chrome Rims   

Please be aware of the following if you are ordering chrome rims.
Chrome rims are popular because in dry conditions your brake works a lot better than on an anodised or polished rim. If, however the conditions are damp or wet, it will not work as well as an anodised (ie/Black) rim. There are a couple of other drawbacks to chrome rims though. Because the brake pads rub against the sidewall the chrome will eventually wear through, as chrome is actually a thin metal plating. There is nothing you can do to prevent this, it is just a fact. How long it lasts before this happens depends on how abrasive your brake pads are and what type of terrain you ride - for instance riding dirt or if you use your brakes a lot, this will wear the chrome quicker. Secondly - and this applies more to street riding - if your rim gets damaged (ie/ scratched or gouged from contact with ledges etc) this can damage the chrome. Thirdly if you ride street during winter and there is salt on the roads - this absolutely attacks the chrome. Wiping your rims down to remove moisture or salt after riding can help here.

Taking all these points into account, we can only guarantee a chrome rim against flaking or wear for one month from purchase, but not against scratches or gouges. We feel this is enough time to a rim that has any faulty chrome to become apparant.

We hope you understand our position on this and realise chrome rims do require care and will eventually wear. If you want a rim finish to last without the worry of chrome, we would suggest you just buy an anodised rim instead. If you really want chrome for the enhanced dry-weather braking then cool, but please take on board our points raised above.

It looks like the chrome rim is the problem!!   :-\

JD_76

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 08:57 AM »
Sell them and get some alloy Araya Aeros, mine work in wet and dry - the chuffin pitbull gets jammed up with cack and stops working when its wet mind you  :knuppel2:

Im thinking a well adjused mx900 with longer N/S pads like yo have would be better - what you reckon??

Offline James Nada

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 09:02 AM »
Hmm, interesting.

I was using Oddy brake pads (the standard ones you get with a Pitbull) which seemed to work fine - I sanded them a bit beforehand though.  And my rims are chrome.

Could it be becuse they are smaller - same amount of stopping power over a smaller rim area?  Perhaps this works better in the wet?  

Probably not - I'm no engineer, just thought I'd throw the idea in.

moley

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 09:06 AM »
Maybe a better brake pad would work or maybe covering the rim with Jam to make it more sticky!!  :D

JD_76

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 09:11 AM »
Maybe a better brake pad would work or maybe covering the rim with Jam to make it more sticky!!  :D

I think you could be onto something Moley, maybe the standard pads that come with the pitbull were formulated to work with the levels of pressure a pitbull can exert, the N/S pads are designed to work with V brakes that apply allot more pressure so the compound may be tougher.

Its like putting Carbon ceramic brake pads in your mums nissan micra, they aint never going to get hot enough to work.

moley

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 09:27 AM »
I had the normal pitbull pads on and they were shite so I bought some kool stop pads.

So the Pitbull ones weren't any better!!  :(

Whats these clear ones?  Any links?  ???

JD_76

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 09:30 AM »
I had the normal pitbull pads on and they were shite so I bought some kool stop pads.

So the Pitbull ones weren't any better!!  :(

Whats these clear ones?  Any links?  ???

Think these are the ones Daz is on about, I put some on my lads Subrosa, they work well but squeal like a piggy wig wig..

http://www.radbmxshop.co.uk/shop/article_45/RADBMX-Clear-Brake-Pads.html'shop_param=cid%3D46%26aid%3D45%26

moley

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 09:43 AM »
Squeal means they are working..........................I think!!  :D

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 09:58 AM »
ive heard they squeal, but if they stop ya, who gives a fooook :daumenhoch: i'd never really rode chrome rims in the wet until this series but i aint swappin them i reckon all the grit n shit from winter series will eventually give ya chrome rims a good purchase for ya blocks n prob solved, after all they are on the bike to be abused not schmoosed :daumenhoch:

moley

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 10:04 AM »
At least dubber could have heard R Al was coming before he got T Boned.

If you hear Squealing like a pig Dubber then get out of the way!!   :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 10:25 AM »
Moley, chrome rims were always a no-no for racing BiTD for reasons of not working in the wet/mud. Not that I used my brakes much, and I still have the scars to show for it! They look good, I'll give you that.

moley

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 01:01 PM »
Did your brakes work on the Redline?  ???

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 01:25 PM »
They did work - it's so long since I rode a bike with a caliper brake that I can't remember what counts as 'good' performance.  Considering how much momentum the bike will have had with me on board, and how wet it was, I'd say they did a reasonable job.
The scars are all from the 80s BTW, I only have a slight graze from Sunday.  I was in a fit state to cycle to work on Monday and Tuesday which I was well pleased about.  I'm gonna get into training for 2010!
Jon

moley

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 01:56 PM »
They did work - it's so long since I rode a bike with a caliper brake that I can't remember what counts as 'good' performance.  Considering how much momentum the bike will have had with me on board, and how wet it was, I'd say they did a reasonable job.
The scars are all from the 80s BTW, I only have a slight graze from Sunday.  I was in a fit state to cycle to work on Monday and Tuesday which I was well pleased about.  I'm gonna get into training for 2010!
Jon

You did fly over them doubles!!  :LolLolLolLol:

I might nick those wheels and stick them on the Amtrac for Coppull!!  ???

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 06:12 PM »
For the purposes of reliability and ease of maintenance,  you really need alloy rims for offroad.  Ultimately, the chrome will fail after a few good doses of grit, moisture and race wear and tear anyway so you might as well plump for an alloy rim now, and save your blingy chrome rim for show or summertime.

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 07:07 PM »
It's a fooking Fanny Pad you should be using, Moley :2funny:

See you at Coppull ;)
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

moley

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 10:08 PM »
It's a fooking Fanny Pad you should be using, Moley

I've just added you to the list..............Bren, Daz, Dubber, James.   :knuppel2:

Where the fook is R Al?    I need him to teach me the ways of the T-Bone!!!  :LolLolLolLol:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2009, 10:21 AM »
 :) What you need is Raleigh Raincheck blocks :daumenhoch:

moley

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2009, 11:13 AM »
:) What you need is Raleigh Raincheck blocks :daumenhoch:

Why?

More details need please!!  :daumenhoch:

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 12:05 PM »
 :) You don`t remember Raincheck blocks? Standard black rubber blocks with a bit of chamois leather glued on...

moley

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 12:24 PM »
:) You don`t remember Raincheck blocks? Standard black rubber blocks with a bit of chamois leather glued on...

Nope!!

Did they work well?

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2009, 01:18 PM »
 :) Nope,they were shiiiite!

moley

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2009, 01:26 PM »
:) Nope,they were shiiiite!

FFS James!!

What was the point of mentioning them, if they were shiiiiiiiiiiiiiite!!!  :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Brake pads needed that work in the wet

gfxgfx
gfx gfx