gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 08:47 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  ACID
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: ACID  (Read 650 times)

oldsnow

ACID
« on: November 12, 2009, 09:16 PM »
got your attention ! has anyone tried oxalic acid on chrome stuff for rust removal and what were the results ?

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: ACID
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 09:31 PM »
It works really well removing the rust, just soak in the OA solution for 24 hours and then rinse off.  Doesn't leave a great finish on the metal it leaves behind after removing the rust, but ace if you are having the frame/parts re-finished.

oldsnow

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 09:54 PM »
cheers Stidds, would you not reccomend it for chrome then ?

Offline stevochb

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 10:07 PM »
You could try foil and coke, have a look at the sticky in tech and restoration and you will find a step by step :daumenhoch:

bigsman

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 03:26 PM »
OAs great but it's not the right tool for every job.  I've done 2 frame & forks with it now and had good redults both times.  Its great for getting into areas that would be a problem with foil and coke (eg bb and between gusset plates etc).  It isn't too tough on the metal as long as you know what type of metal you're putting in that is!  Also great because if you have an entire frame to do it can take ages with foil whereas you get the right tub, mix up the OA and just drop the frame in.  The most I've had to do is just agitate the liquid around stubborn rusty bits from time to time.  There can be a residue left on the metal but you should be able to avoid the worst of that by not leaving it too long and by making sure you give the yellowy areas a brush with a toothbrush or similar.

I rate it and its great for big jobs.  You need to bear in mind it doesn't rescue deep pitting though and sometimes things can look worse afterwards because the pits are dark and clean.  I say try it  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  ACID

gfxgfx
gfx gfx