gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 10:40 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Found my very first BMX....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Found my very first BMX....  (Read 14294 times)

theRuler

Re: Found my very first BMX....
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2006, 07:49 PM »
cool
i like them all anyway!!!

no mongoose collection is complete without a cali!!!

Beckyboo

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2006, 08:46 PM »
for fukks sake.

you guys.

a mans bike from when he was nine is worth 10000 times more than any argument about when or where a particular frame was made.

i am sat her laughing my tits off as i write this...

bmx is a niche industry, oldskool, doubly so.

if you alienate  people from their bikes because of some anal date/place line, i would have to seriously consider whether i stil had a firm grip on reality .

c'mon. i have ridden chatsworth mongooses and owned them, they are all crap.

but if you you love them, they are the best bike in the world. lets have a bit more positive thought, action, etc, rather than quoting chapter and verse about somthing that only 50 people in the uk would understand, let alone be arsed about.

orb.....
no, all the kid wanted to do was put on a set of tuffs (stamped made in England) and get out and ride

heh heh....go on lad, always pushing......
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 08:51 PM by oberonspacefruit »

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2006, 08:56 PM »
based upon all of the quotes and post's above i will post a pic of my TORKER 280

thanks

Dave
haro, how do you do

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2006, 09:01 PM »
bollocks, thats an ammaco (a decent one, not a BMX product version) pretending to be a torker pretending to be a haro.

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2006, 09:02 PM »
is that akisu?
I want to touch ORB

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2006, 09:09 PM »
no, its got a baseball symbol so its not jap. must be worth a monkey.

theRuler

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2006, 09:16 PM »
you lot all know nothing.
bunch of twonks

Coastvl

« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2006, 12:23 AM »
is that akisu?
Dont laugh too hard! My Akisu is a direct copy of that! I kid you not.
Way to stir the pot george!

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2006, 01:57 AM »
How many old one's do you personally own?

got an 80, 81 and 82 old gussetted goose

That's not old.
I have a '76, '77(2), '78, '79, '80 (2), '81(2)

Quality was there from the very beginning, and quality did not start dropping off until late 81. Gee, I don't see any 82 and up models in my inventory for some reason.

The arguement was "Is the bike or is the bike not as Mongoose"
 anything after 81 to you is not a Mongoose then?...because it wasn't as well made, or it was made in conjunction with another company?  Isn't that just Snobbery? Are you collecting for the love or just the political correctness? Collect what you like but don't criticise other peoples bikes because they don't fit into YOUR perfect ideal as a Mongoose. Its a Goose no matter how much you hate it... FACT ....look at the picture...
  now deal with it and lets move on :)

Astrodamus

« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2006, 04:31 AM »
If it was manufactured by BMX Products Inc. then it's a mongoose. The mongoose name or sticker does not make it a "BMX Products Inc." Bicycle, which is the only company I collect.  The name "mongoose" was sold to pacific, who also bought the Schwinn name as well as GT and others.. But the Wal-Mart (that's the largest store chain in America) mongoose is not a BMX products Inc. Bicycle even though it is technically a mongoose. Do you get it now?

BMX Products Inc. is the key. Don't lose sight of that when you respond.

Ammaco or Akisu manufactured the bike in question. If I threw that piece of crap on e-bay, and called it a gussetted mongoose, I would be cited for fraud and deception.

It would be no different if back in 1981 Hutch permitted a junk bike company in Thailand to put Hutch stickers on a "Barko" frame made with bubble gum welds, then fast forward to 2006, some poor sap who grew up in Thailand posts a pic of his "Hutch" which looks exactly like the junk amacco "mongoose" pictured in this thread, and says "Hey, check out my 1981 Hutch!"
What do you think people would say? umm.. maybe "Hey guy, love the kickstand, cottered 3pc cranks and the basket on the front!" It's not a Hutch as far as what the term "Hutch" means to 99.9% of the planets inhabitants. Only a few saps in Thailand think a Hutch should have a basket and a kickstand. And only a few blokes in the UK think a mongoose should have snot welds and akisu dropouts.

You know as well as I do, if that Thai dude listed his basket bike on e-bay with no pic and said "bone stock 1981 Hutch with Hutch 3pc cranks, $799 buy it now" and you ended up with a bike with a basket, a kickstand, splooge-welds and no aerospeeds, you'd be hotter than a pistol now wouldn't you? go on.. admit it!

Astrodamus

« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2006, 04:52 AM »
Let's play the "one of these things is not like the other game"

Today's topic.. welds:

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2006, 07:04 AM »
I dont deny its a copy of an early design.... one aimed at kids whose parents couldn't afford the best. How are Mongoose going to provide welding of that quality for $99.99 or £99.99 for a whole bike?  They aren't and didn't. They had to source affordable options. The fact still remains that the frame is a Mongoose it was bought new just like the one in the pic. What you are saying in your reply basically says that mongoose is guilty of ripping everyone off who bought one.  I admire your background knowledge on Gooses and i like your bikes but the wirewheel pictured is part of your Mongoose history, just like the supergoose III, the californian and the Pro class...whether you like it or not.....  :daumenhoch:

greentoad

« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2006, 09:44 AM »
Hi

This is getting technical.

I agree that the bike is not what a true Mongoose should be, and was made and sold as a cheap bike, it's all about supply and demand and selling on a brand name - just look at the price difference between the Ammaco and Mongoose Wire Wheel, a lot of money for nearly the same bike, and Mongoose cashed in.

However, right or wrong it was sold and stickered as a Mongoose with that decision made by the board. I agree it does depend on what way you look at it whether it is a Mongoose. Example - a VW Polo is an Audi Rabbit, Many Vauxhall cars are badged as Omega, and it's all the same bar the name.

Did I ever want one, no - but have since found a few Ammaco and Mongoose. If they are lost / skipped and crushed they are gone forever.

The welds are a good point, but that is the frame that Mongoose choose for it's Wire Wheel model.

Ammaco are also not that bad at welds -

Nice collection you have by the way, got any more pictures?

J.

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2006, 10:01 AM »
I think I understand Astro's point, but playing devils advocate, was 'the company' still 'BMX Products Inc' when it had frames made in Japan or Tiawan (or wherever)? Surely these frames were not made by BMX Products Inc and therefore in your eyes Astro, not Mongoose?

theRuler

« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2006, 11:50 AM »
a VW Polo is an Audi Rabbit

the polo was an audi 100

the rabbit is the US name for the MK1 golf

greentoad

« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2006, 12:08 PM »
Hi

I love this site - sorry wrong car.

VW Polo was the Audi 50 - http://www.audi50.de/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi#Production_cars

Audi 100 is now A6, Audi 80 is now A4

Confusion on cars too.

J.

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2006, 12:17 PM »
Hi

I love this site - sorry wrong car.

VW Polo was the Audi 50 - http://www.audi50.de/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi#Production_cars

Audi 100 is now A6, Audi 80 is now A4

Confusion on cars too.

J.

Yip, what he said.

The Vauxhall Nova was a Corsa on the continent. The Chevroet Nova was a total different thing, although, they are all made by GM.

The Cosa over here is actually not a car and is in fact a big bubble from the washing up bowl.

theRuler

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2006, 12:19 PM »
sorry yes audi 50 became the mk1 polo

i like mk1 polos
but try and find a not rusty one

gregster

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2006, 02:42 PM »
Jeez, I really wish I hadn't bothered posting my pics at all now.

Astro, you have a nice collection there so fair play to you. If they bring you half as much pleasure as my £170 wire wheel goose did then good for you.
Afterall that's what it's all about isn't it? Fun? Enjoyment? Re-living your youth!

Be as anal as you want to be mate, I'm just glad the majority of other members of this site aren't a uptight as you and enjoy BMX for what it is.

:rant:

wirewheel

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2006, 08:56 PM »
entertaining subject fella's
i had a wirewheel as my first bike, and i still love bmx wether it was an ammacao or not.
next time you rock out on your epiphone guitar though just remember it's made by samick (probably)  :LolLolLolLol:

rom_kid_04

« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2006, 09:40 PM »
it doesnt matter where it was made all that matters that it IS a mongoose if mongoose put their name to it just like if haro had put their name to the crappest bike ever it would still be a haro just not one of the desireable ones ... it may not have been a mongoose that was made when bmx produscts inc owned it but it is a mongoose nethertheless hey the 06 mongoose villain may not be a bmx products inc mongoose but it is still a mongoose

silentpartner

« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2006, 09:59 PM »
isn't retro reading good, how'd i miss this the first time round

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2006, 10:54 PM »
hmmm same here

Rich

Offline RATTY

• Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2006, 11:30 PM »
It was all very anal......Some good points and a lot of bolloxx, still reafding this beats watching a tape of bad girls
A long time ago, in a land far away!

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2006, 10:04 AM »
i got a 79 mity goose pit bike, it's bad welds and ways more than patrick moore. And it is bmx products.
ding dong

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Found my very first BMX....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx