gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 08:25 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Found my very first BMX....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Found my very first BMX....  (Read 14289 times)

theRuler

Re: Found my very first BMX....
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2006, 04:25 PM »
well it may not be american made, but it was stickered up as a mongoose from the UK mongoose factory

i wouldnt call it a wrongoose.

its a mongoose wire wheel

anybody remember bmx racer and freestyle mag? they "sponsered" a kid in that mag, and bought him one. there was a monthly section on him
i think his name was kevin

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2006, 04:28 PM »
Some Mongoose were made under licence by Ammaco, just the same as Skyway Tuffs and ACS Z Rims were also made under licence in the uk, it doesn`t matter where it was made its still a Mongoose  :daumenhoch:

Looks like you`ll have to add these to your collection Astro if you want a complete collection of Mongeese   :10_2_12:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2006, 04:29 PM »
Fact is, it was sold as a goose, therefore its a goose.

The AP burner may have been made by Tange, but its a Burner non the less.

The Gen One Haro Freestyler may have been made by Torker, but its a Haro non the less.

The Kuwahara range is mainly Tange, yet they are Kuwahara's non the less.

Hutch mag wheels may be made by OGK, but they are called Hutch

MRD frames are made by Rickman, but they are still called MRD.

Christ, Hutch did not make thier early frames, but people still get wood over 'eary' Hutch frames (god knows why, they are all shite).

Just because it is not what you remember mongoose to be dont mean that it is anything else but a goose, it may be built by a different welders torch, in a different country, but it is still a goosey goosey gander. And it makes absoloutly no odds where a bike was made, the fact is, on Xmas day in 1986 when many a young pup opened up his box containing a Trickstar, do you think he checked the length of the foot pegs and if it had a baseball symbol or not, no, all the kid wanted to do was put on a set of tuffs (stamped made in England) and get out and ride, not even bothered where it was from, the fact to most kids was, said bike was a trickstar.

Nowadays people seem to be so anal about where a frame was made and forgetting why they are in this hobby for the first place, for the love of BMX and to relive youth, not about cashing in on my 'usa made' this and my NOS that, its about the frame and no one gives a shit where its from, it is that attitude thats killing this hobby off by making it a value thing not a fun thing.

Point made yet?

« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 04:34 PM by ORB »

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2006, 04:31 PM »
Sorry Billy, just read that you said about the same as me, only you did not take 30 mins to do so :)

Oh, another point, Goose only made a few good frames:

- FS-1
- Decade
- Decade Pro

:10_2_12:  :10_2_12:  :10_2_12:  :10_2_12:  :10_2_12:  :10_2_12:  :10_2_12:

8)

theRuler

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2006, 04:32 PM »
i like all gooses

gimme gimme gimme

gregster

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2006, 04:51 PM »
Bill & Orb - well said. I think Astro might be jealous that he hasn't got one in his collection  :LolLolLolLol:

Now, anyone care to tell me where I can get some new decals for the Rickman?

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2006, 04:52 PM »
I have a set or 2 :)

gmac

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2006, 04:56 PM »
Pffffft  .. Tell it to the man  ...

Astrodamus

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2006, 04:58 PM »

The Gen One Haro Freestyler may have been made by Torker, but its a Haro non the less.

Christ, Hutch did not make thier early frames, but people still get wood over 'eary' Hutch frames (god knows why, they are all shite).

Just because it is not what you remember mongoose to be dont mean that it is anything else but a goose, it may be built by a different welders torch, in a different country, but it is still a goosey goosey gander. And it makes absoloutly no odds where a bike was made, the fact is, on Xmas day in 1986 when many a young pup opened up his box containing a Trickstar, do you think he checked the length of the foot pegs and if it had a baseball symbol or not, no, all the kid wanted to do was put on a set of tuffs (stamped made in England) and get out and ride, not even bothered where it was from, the fact to most kids was, said bike was a trickstar.

Nowadays people seem to be so anal about where a frame was made and forgetting why they are in this hobby for the first place, for the love of BMX and to relive youth, not about cashing in on my 'usa made' this and my NOS that, its about the frame and no one gives a shit where its from, it is that attitude thats killing this hobby off by making it a value thing not a fun thing.

Point made yet?

hell no.
You may own the site, but you can't change history. That bike is a booger-weld piece of trash. Sorry to rain on his parade. I think it's noble of you lot to try and make him feel better. I said he should be mad at his dad, but that was just tongue in cheek.. only joking. He should be glad that his dad bought him what he "thought" was a mongoose.
And if that was sold in 1986, then I could care less about that mongoose era anyway, by then they had "sold their soul", but having said that.. the fact that this copy bike has a gusset was an attempt to copy the previous gusset era.
And I completely disagree with you regarding the quality of welds on old geese versus Calis etc.. How many old one's do you personally own?
I do, however, agree with your sentiment regarding us as kids.. we did not check for baseball symbols and such, and were very happy to have whatever BMX we received. BUT that was then, and now, as adults, some of us are trying to memoralize an era in a historical sense, being true to the integrity of actual history. Likewise, when I was a kid, I never repacked my wheel bearings, but now that I'm an adult, I do. Does that mean I should just let them cake up and harden with dirt just because I didn't maintain my BMX bikes too well as a 12 year old?
If you and him want to pretend that this bike in question is a BMX Products Inc. calibre bike, then more power to ya!
But don't try and gang-tackle me for speaking the truth in all honesty. Facts are ALWAYS good. There has never been a time when facts worsened a situation. Truth brings knowlege and understanding. Falsehoods sometimes make us feel better, and so that's what we are after right? warm fuzzy feelings, or cold truth?

If Akisu stickered frames with JMC decals, (with authorization or not) it would not make them a JMC bicycle.
 :rant:

Offline billstup

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2006, 05:05 PM »
So what your saying is that the decal sets made under licence for Mongoose, and soon to be SE Racing, by Bill Curtin are not in fact the real deal and should be treated with distain  :10_2_12:
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
 Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
 Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
 Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

ash

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2006, 05:11 PM »

Point made yet?

hell no.
You may own the site, but you can't change history. That bike is a booger-weld piece of trash. Sorry to rain on his parade. I think it's noble of you lot to try and make him feel better. I said he should be mad at his dad, but that was just tongue in cheek.. only joking. He should be glad that his dad bought him what he "thought" was a mongoose.
And if that was sold in 1986, then I could care less about that mongoose era anyway, by then they had "sold their soul", but having said that.. the fact that this copy bike has a gusset was an attempt to copy the previous gusset era.
And I completely disagree with you regarding the quality of welds on old geese versus Calis etc.. How many old one's do you personally own?
I do, however, agree with your sentiment regarding us as kids.. we did not check for baseball symbols and such, and were very happy to have whatever BMX we received. BUT that was then, and now, as adults, some of us are trying to memoralize an era in a historical sense, being true to the integrity of actual history. Likewise, when I was a kid, I never repacked my wheel bearings, but now that I'm an adult, I do. Does that mean I should just let them cake up and harden with dirt just because I didn't maintain my BMX bikes too well as a 12 year old?
If you and him want to pretend that this bike in question is a BMX Products Inc. calibre bike, then more power to ya!
But don't try and gang-tackle me for speaking the truth in all honesty. Facts are ALWAYS good. There has never been a time when facts worsened a situation. Truth brings knowlege and understanding. Falsehoods sometimes make us feel better, and so that's what we are after right? warm fuzzy feelings, or cold truth?

If Akisu stickered frames with JMC decals, (with authorization or not) it would not make them a JMC bicycle.
 :rant:

???

Offline Moose

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2006, 05:17 PM »
Good old Kev, I knew I could rely on you to post what I was looking for :daumenhoch:

Mongoose or not Mongoose - that is the question ???

greentoad

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2006, 05:23 PM »
Hi Moose

Hehehehe

Just about to post the same pic - http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=8474.0

J.

gregster

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2006, 05:26 PM »
Looks like a Mongoose to me, it says so on frame and everything  ;)

Offline Bananaman

• BMX Nerd
  • Le Mans Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2006, 05:37 PM »
Someone has gone to a lot of trouble stealing all those mongoose stamped parts and spending thousands on marketing!!!!!! :LolLolLolLol:

If it quacks its a goose  :daumenhoch:

My first BMX was a second hand super burner that my dad got tuffs for, I had pointed out the new super tuff in the shop and he could not afford it.....

to me it was a super tuff burner and I loved it (until I got my silver streak!)

Astrodamus

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2006, 06:09 PM »
You guys just proved my point, look at the Ammaco team under it, SAME frame and fork.

As far as the decals go, they are quality, but admittedly, they are not as nice as the originals since, in my opinion, the gold background looks more green than gold to me. So no, they are nothing more than repros and can never be NOS originals.

I can't believe they allowed Ammaco to call those pieces of poo a mongoose, but by then, mongoose had already sold it's soul to the devil.

gregster

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2006, 06:17 PM »
Thanks for all your positive input Astro. Nice one!  :idiot2:

theRuler

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2006, 06:28 PM »
How many old one's do you personally own?

got an 80, 81 and 82 old gussetted goose
and a cali, supergoose 3, and expert of newer taiwanese type

i'll take pictures of the build quality issues on the old gooses for you

i still really like them though!!! i just like the big chunky gussets

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2006, 06:36 PM »
Lots of BMX companies got 'Dirty' toward the end...look at Hutch etc. Lots produced Budget bikes with parts and frames made in the Far East... Just because they are less desirable doesn't mean they are not authentic.
 Ammaco and Mongoose were holding hands from years before that bike came on the scene. To fulfill demand for a budget bike market Ammaco/Mongoose produced the wirewheel. Marketed and Sold as a Mongoose, badged as a Mongoose from birth it is a Mongoose... No arguement, quality doesn't come into it.
  OR maybe we should all start to persue Mongoose through the courts for mis advertisement?  :knuppel2:

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2006, 06:57 PM »
hell no.
. That bike is a booger-weld piece of trash. Sorry to rain on his parade. I think it's noble of you lot to try and make him feel better. I said he should be mad at his dad, but that was just tongue in cheek.. only joking. He should be glad that his dad bought him what he "thought" was a mongoose.

You may own the site, but you can't change history

First up, i may be a site co-owner, but how is that of any importance? I dont class myself as a higher being, I am me, we decided to set up a site, so we did it first, it does not make me higher than any other, this site is ours, not mine daves and bill's, its under ownership of the community.

That bike is a booger-weld piece of trash.

BMX Products licenced it and put thier name to it.

He should be glad that his dad bought him what he "thought" was a mongoose.

So, the lads who got a Kuwi should be gutted that they had a tange really?

BUT that was then

Yip, and thats what most of us are trying to re-create.

I never repacked my wheel bearings

I did, my father made me.

If you and him want to pretend that this bike in question is a BMX Products Inc. calibre bike

Did not say it was of the same calibre, just that it was, yet BMX products are hardly a yardstick to use when calibre is the word of choice.

No, refer to above post about Kuwa, Raleigh, Hutch, OGK and so on.....

Not many at the moment, i swapped most of em out in favour of others, had a bid on one last night but when it went to 15 quid i thought it was a bit too much.

I will agree to dissagree, as long as you will understand that it is a mongoose as much as an ET is a Kuwa

Thanks

Astrodamus

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2006, 07:19 PM »

That's not old.
I have a '76, '77(2), '78, '79, '80 (2), '81(2)
Quality was there from the very beginning, and quality did not start dropping off until late 81. Gee, I don't see any 82 and up models in my inventory for some reason.

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2006, 07:23 PM »
But its not about Quality, its about what you want and like, and if an 83 Cali is what you love, thats what you will buy and restore.

Offline kusam

• Berm Worm
  • Nob
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2006, 07:24 PM »
I am by no way an expert in this field, but I can see those frames and forks in that ad are not the same

theRuler

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2006, 07:34 PM »

That's not old.
Quality was there from the very beginning, and quality did not start dropping off until late 81. Gee, I don't see any 82 and up models in my inventory for some reason.

cant really afford anything earlier mate
all of mine are imports, some were quite costly (for me)
i'd like some older ones to go with my mid school collection

i just like bmx's. i got bikes from 1980 to 2002 in my collection!

when was the pro class made? i'd like one of them too.

Astrodamus

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2006, 07:47 PM »

That's not old.

cant really afford anything earlier mate
all of mine are imports, some were quite costly (for me)
i'd like some older ones to go with my mid school collection

i just like bmx's. i got bikes from 1980 to 2002 in my collection!

when was the pro class made? i'd like one of them too.

I think the earliest proclass came out in '82.
They are pictued in a 1983 mongoose catalogue, and one thing I've discovered about the mongoose catalogues is that if they say 1979 on the front, then the bikes and parts displayed are 1978. Since Pro-class appeared in the "83" catalogue, then they were around in 82. Hence the fact that you see gussetted geese in the "83" catalogue.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Found my very first BMX....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx