gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 03:03 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  motomag in 108 hrs
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: motomag in 108 hrs  (Read 2360 times)

neiljonarcus

motomag in 108 hrs
« on: November 04, 2009, 04:06 PM »
got this off my mate on saturday afternoon . it had to be blasted and painted , the wheels also and the coaster brake refitted and POLISHED   :crazy2: , and refit  phew but i think it looks rather nice  .............. hope my mate like,s it   ;)

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
Re: motomag in 108 hrs
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 04:08 PM »
Fook me thats nice Neil, hopefully will be up yours Sunday dont make any plans and clean the camera  :daumenhoch:  :4_17_5:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 04:13 PM by DB250F »

b45t4rd

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 04:12 PM »
I said I'd never build another old bike but that hits the spot.  Great work :daumenhoch:

I need an early bike... :)

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 04:15 PM »
Clever boy  :-* looks sweet Neil  ;) what age is that goose by the way, I know feck all about gooses  :D

neiljonarcus

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 04:19 PM »
Clever boy  :-* looks sweet Neil  ;) what age is that goose by the way, I know feck all about gooses  :D

i think its a 79-82  ......... i thought it had the wrong forks  but MR IKNOWEVERYTHINGABOUTGOOSE,S  said they are the right ones some thing to do with the size of them . i built it to a private spec as the owners friend had one bitd and he wanted this one to look the same

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 04:31 PM »
i 'NEED' that seat nelly!!!!!   do you think your mate will notice.... ???

i think the coaster anchor looks a little out of place for a late seventies build, maybe a more traditional metal strap one would be better....   thats my only gripe...  love these bikes though
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 04:31 PM »

MR IKNOWEVERYTHINGABOUTGOOSE,S  said they are the right ones some thing to do with the size of them .

No I didn't I asked ya for the serial number to confirm  :P  :LolLolLolLol:

Oh and the frame decal should have the red bit at the front  :angel:  :LolLolLolLol:

......oh it looks lovely by the way mate  :LolLolLolLol:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 04:37 PM »
Love it !!! Great resto ........

I wish i'd never sold mine .

I will have to get another  :-\
Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep
Jim'll fix it did loads for charity

magna13

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 04:45 PM »
Motomag :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 04:46 PM »

very nice

motomagII

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 07:06 PM »
gets my approval and one day i shall build one as it was my first bmx just hard to get hold of a nice one at right price with the wheels

Offline poolysheriff

• Team Moderator
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 09:59 PM »
Sweet  :smitten:

Rodgy1970

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 10:37 PM »
 minimalist bmx 8)

ozone

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 10:49 PM »
Great work as always.  I bet those wheels took forever to polish.  They look the business now. :daumenhoch: :4_17_5:

neiljonarcus

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 06:53 AM »
Great work as always.  I bet those wheels took forever to polish.  They look the business now. :daumenhoch: :4_17_5:

sorry to burst my bubble . i must admit  I NEVER POLISHED THEM  :-[  , its powder coating   :daumenhoch:   dont they look great
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 07:45 AM by n2cus »

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 07:33 AM »
WOW  :shocked:

Simple , yet stunning ,ticks all the boxes m ,love that bike and great resto work to boot Nezza  :4_17_5:

I gotta admit I looked at the forks and wondered why team forks and not pinch type on a pre 82 Mongoose ,
 as I thought they were only sold  on a Team or a Supergoose

I know people willl acquire  bikes with them on , but did they come out of the factory with them on  say in 80 /81 before the revision 2 goose ?

ozone

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 07:59 AM »

sorry to burst my bubble . i must admit  I NEVER POLISHED THEM  :-[  , its powder coating   :daumenhoch:   dont they look great

They look mint anyway and polishing them probably would have meant a completion time of something approaching 148 hours.  And a burnt out dremel :)

neiljonarcus

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 08:06 AM »

They look mint anyway and polishing them probably would have meant a completion time of something approaching 148 hours.  And a burnt out dremel :)

i did try to polish them and i bet it would have taken me at least 16hrs , to many tight curves  :crazy2:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 08:08 AM »
Good job there; looks like it should although I'm with "Show-off Sam" re the coaster clamp but other than that a fantastic build  :daumenhoch:

BTW, no before pics?

Better to crash and burn than fade away

neiljonarcus

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 08:12 AM »
Good job there; looks like it should although I'm with "Show-off Sam" re the coaster clamp but other than that a fantastic build  :daumenhoch:

BTW, no before pics?

WAS JUST A NICKLE FRAME I HAVE PICS OF THE WHEELS THO   bugger cap locks sorry

safc1

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 08:43 AM »
canny, aye, canny.  :smitten:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 08:59 AM »
Neil, you've gotta love an early gusseted 'Goose mate, and that is a cracker :daumenhoch:

Spen
Still limping......

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 10:15 AM »

I gotta admit I looked at the forks and wondered why team forks and not pinch type on a pre 82 Mongoose ,

I know people willl acquire  bikes with them on , but did they come out of the factory with them on  say in 80 /81 before the revision 2 goose ?

1975 to early 1979 = Ashtabula Forks
late 1979 to early 1981 = tange pinched
late 1981 to early 1983 = 1" diamond dropout forks (in between the design of a team fork and a cali fork - shape of a team but 1" tubing of a cali)
7/8" team forks only came stock on the team or supergoose (or DeCoster or Team Jag) but were available to buy seperately and came in candy red, candy blue or nickel (nickel was then replaced by chrome). There's actually 3 different types of team fork as well but that's a whole other story.  :)

Need the serial to confirm what forks this bike would have left the factory with but as a quick guess...... from the dropouts it is no later than early 81 and there is no coaster tab so that puts it mid 79 or later so my guess is it would have had tange pinched  ;)
Whether or not they would have been nickel or painted would again depend on the year..... 79/80 they would have been nickel even if the frame was black, and in 80/81 they would have been painted to match the frame.

:daumenhoch:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

virtualmeuk

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 10:54 AM »

1975 to early 1979 = Ashtabula Forks
late 1979 to early 1981 = tange pinched
late 1981 to early 1983 = 1" diamond dropout forks (in between the design of a team fork and a cali fork - shape of a team but 1" tubing of a cali)
7/8" team forks only came stock on the team or supergoose (or DeCoster or Team Jag) but were available to buy seperately and came in candy red, candy blue or nickel (nickel was then replaced by chrome). There's actually 3 different types of team fork as well but that's a whole other story.  :)

Need the serial to confirm what forks this bike would have left the factory with but as a quick guess...... from the dropouts it is no later than early 81 and there is no coaster tab so that puts it mid 79 or later so my guess is it would have had tange pinched  ;)
Whether or not they would have been nickel or painted would again depend on the year..... 79/80 they would have been nickel even if the frame was black, and in 80/81 they would have been painted to match the frame.

:daumenhoch:

:LolLolLolLol: You really need to get out more!!

sweetbeats

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2009, 11:09 AM »
Bang Tidy Duck  :4_17_5:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  motomag in 108 hrs

gfxgfx
gfx gfx