gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 02, 2024, 04:56 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Rickman Freestyler
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Rickman Freestyler  (Read 10005 times)

ChrisN17

Rickman Freestyler
« on: November 03, 2009, 09:20 PM »
Hello all. My first post.

I've been trawling over the NOS stuff on ebay looking for parts to put my 1984/5 Rickman Freestyler back to mint condition. I found a place local to me to rechrome it, a job I been promising to do for years. Does anyone know of a place that'll be able to produce a sticker set for the F&F? My doppy little brother stripped them off years ago and painted it with hammerite! the git.

I've got a mate in the bike trade who is going to fix the Skyways. :)

Keep it Old School!!!!

winnit93

Re: Rickman Freestyler
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 09:24 PM »
contact Del on here he has decals  for you :daumenhoch:

ChrisN17

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 09:50 PM »
Cool IM sent thanks.

I'll post some pics on here of the bike in it's poor state. I'ts been strapped to the wall in my garage for the last 10 years. The wheels need rebuilding and the whole lot needs new chrome......... It still has the original Tuff pads in the brakes. They last for ages. lol.

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 09:30 PM »
would love to see that i am a big rickman fan myself,i have a painted one which will be next years project :daumenhoch:

get the pics up mate :Great_Britain:

ChrisN17

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 09:37 PM »
It is a proper mess at the moment. I am gonna strip it on saturday. Have warned the Mrs it's coming in the house!!! Will photo it as I go. Anyone know where to get a pad set from? and what's the best way to celan a 25 year old set of tuff 2's?

neiljonarcus

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 09:42 PM »
steve firebird ffor the pad set

ChrisN17

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 06:50 PM »

oldboyburner

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 08:00 PM »
looked at the pics did your dad sand it down before painting as the chrome might be good if he dident :daumenhoch:

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 08:26 PM »
i can get the rickam decals mate if del can't sort you out :daumenhoch:

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 09:07 PM »
looks a good basis for resto,some nice parts on it.
are they rickman or gt performer bars?
like oldboy said,the chrome might be ok underneath if it wasnt sanded :daumenhoch:

ChrisN17

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 10:01 PM »
My dad is an engineering nut. He didn't sand it down. It was sandblasted in a machine!!!! Dam him! They are GT pro performer bars, GT stem, Dia comp brakes. F&F came from a shop in Ipswich. Most of the rest came from FAZE 7! In fact there is still a small bit of a FAZE 7 sticker on the crank. I have sorced a guy that does chrome locally and he does gold plating too.... Did think the metal hubs on the skyways might look bling gold plated..... lol. Am now wishing I hadn't sold the blue pair I had along with the Haro freestyle bars, the ones with the built in stem....... dam the temptations of ebay!

ChrisN17

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 10:06 PM »
Forgot to ask. Anybody know best place to get bearings for the tuffs??

Offline phantom photon

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 12:54 PM »
Forgot to ask. Anybody know best place to get bearings for the tuffs??

Ginnys  :daumenhoch:

http://rinienterprises.com/

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 04:09 PM »
Here's a couple of pics of the before state. Couldn't bring myself to take anymore...... so sad......  :'(

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=339964&id=868290626&saved#/photo.php?pid=9693658&id=868290626

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/Chrisr6/Project%20Rickman/?action=view&current=P1010824.jpg

Yo Chris! - you need to start lookin to the positive dude  ;D - you HAVE YOUR BIKE ( my DP got nicked in the early 90s ) and its RIPE for a resto.... that's going to be a wicked little project - it doesn't even look that bad.

Needs a layback badly... but your a way off worrying about that  ;)

Thats gonna be worth a pretty penny when you've finished - count yourself lucky you kept it  :daumenhoch:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

ChrisN17

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 05:37 PM »
It had a layback seat post on it when it was new. Gonna try find some pics of it and get them up too.......

ChrisN17

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 12:27 PM »
Parts almost all stripped off. The GT stem is well and truely stuck in the forks. It's full of wd40 upsidedown in the dinning room.... much to the wifes disaproval.

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 01:18 PM »
Don't take this the wrong way - I'm really not being sarcastic  :daumenhoch: but...

you did give the stem bolt a little tap with a hammer when it was still in the stem before you took it out didn't you.

I know this is a 'grandma suck eggs' thing but I'm only asking as I can't see the end of the stem bolt.

Also if you put the bars back on it will give you more leverage to turn the stem to loosen it...

apologies in advance if you've tried all this  :daumenhoch: justtryintahelp!
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

bmxbob

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 01:32 PM »
very nice mate and a good start to the resto  :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 01:43 PM »
Don't take this the wrong way - I'm really not being sarcastic  :daumenhoch: but...

you did give the stem bolt a little tap with a hammer when it was still in the stem before you took it out didn't you.

I know this is a 'grandma suck eggs' thing but I'm only asking as I can't see the end of the stem bolt.

Also if you put the bars back on it will give you more leverage to turn the stem to loosen it...

+1 ^^^^^

Also, try diesel rather WD40 apparently it's a trade tip for loosening stuff that's rusted in and stuck; my mate who runs a machine shop/fabricating business swears by it  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

ChrisN17

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2009, 08:22 AM »

Yeah I did. The bottom of the stem bolt is out so I could put a soft drift down the end and whack it but I haven't done this yet. The bars are taken out to stop my 4 year old trying to ride it. lol. Gonna take it to me mates engineering place he'll get it out! and while I am there gonna borrow his sand blaster......... :)

Offline oberonspacefruit

• BMX Legend
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 09:57 AM »
MMMMMmmm. White alloy hubbed tuffs.
I want to touch ORB

gadd

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2010, 11:37 AM »
just about to start a rickman , how is things coming along with yours ?

ChrisN17

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2010, 10:00 PM »
Kinda got side tracked with xmas. Keep looking at the pile of bits thinking of selling them. Any ideas as to the value??

bmxbob

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 04:04 PM »
Im interested, PM me  :daumenhoch:

ChrisN17

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2011, 12:57 PM »
Ok It's taken a while, but I have now got most of the parts together. I am thinking of getting rid of the skyways, as I'm going to ride it I was thinking new ones. Also the Brakes for the same reason. How much would these be worth before I stick them up for sale?

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Rickman Freestyler

gfxgfx
gfx gfx