gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975645 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 05, 2024, 12:30 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Low points in bmx
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Low points in bmx  (Read 8387 times)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Low points in bmx
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2006, 07:05 PM »
Love to see you there buddy, there's a Thursday vert session slowly developing. Often only three of us, but a few more promising to show up including young Mr. Mullen, We've even coaxed Sir Gerry of Galley to Skaterham once or twice. Treat!

Hope you and yours are well  :)

Offline jimwise68

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2006, 01:00 PM »
Got my first BMX at the end of the summer  of '81, I was 13. A red and yellow Burner, fresh from the Littlewoods catalogue. Rode that for just over a year until the Christmas of 1983, at which time it had a matt black frame, with primer grey forks a front blue Z-rim and a rear black OGK. All the gold brakes and parts were swapped for  blue.
Christmas day my red and chrome Mongoose Californian arrived. I was one happy 15 year old. That soon had a few amendments to it and it spent 3 weekends out of 4 down at a busy Romford Skatepark. In those days the guards van was 3 high in BMXs, probably about 30 bikes rammed in there. Every weeknight was out either riding street or breaking into wood factories on the industrial estate to ride home made quarterpipes.The fun we had. It also helped my pass my 5 min English O'Level Oral Exam (cue jokes). That lasted 15 mins with a demo in the corridor of a few flatland tricks.
Then got into the female of the species and in 86 met my ex-wife.
Hit the rave scene and life was a party.
Had my first son at 21, my second 2 years later and my daughter a year after that. Jeez I wish I had bought a telly.
Rode motor bikes and mountain bikes from 1990. Got divorced in 95.
Saw a PK Ripper on Ebay last summer, then found RADBMX.co.uk.
Bought a TA in January and my Haro Nyquist 2 weeks after.
Haven't looked back and am happier than I have ever been. Wish I had never stopped riding but you can't turn the clock back. You can only look forward.
So here is to more riding!!

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 10:25 PM »
BUMP - this is a great topic that needs some current stories... its probably more relevant than ever with all the new people joining.

I'm gonna write mine now... from 12 to 38.... I'll try and keep it short.
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

bmxer4ever

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2009, 02:23 PM »
Waking up in Paddington hospital after being knocked out for five hours (stacked on the ramp at meanwhile).
That wasn't the bad part.

The bad part was that I had been un-dressed, put into a paper gown, I had ripped the damn thing while moving about while out, and my nads where hanging out. The hospital had called my mum, who was diligently sitting by the bed.

I was the colour of a candy apple trick star  :P

Brilliant! :LolLolLolLol:

G :daumenhoch:

bmxer4ever

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2009, 02:32 PM »
BUMP - this is a great topic that needs some current stories... its probably more relevant than ever with all the new people joining.

I'm gonna write mine now... from 12 to 38.... I'll try and keep it short.

This is a great topic!
Not sure whether I should post something here, or do a whole other thread with pics.... from 1983 to 2009, there's a lot to tell!

Broggie

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2009, 11:44 AM »
Sorry but as I'm as old as Bob Haro, BMX was just a little late for me.  Bikes back in my day (as it were...and not the bloody war either) really were a bit sh1t until the chopper arrived.  Still we rode anywhere and everywhere on whatever bit of old cast iron
we had...
There were no tracks, but parks, rough ground and such were in abundance...long summer days spent riding around.....rope swings across the river and nicking coca cola from the now long gone Isleworth depot.  Graduated to using mopeds and the like in the early 70's
I never really caught on to BMX until a couple of years ago and was then seduced by the looks of the 84 master and TA, both of which I eventually got only to find that in BMX terms I was no Bob Haro...more Bob Hope, and that despite how pretty they were...they were, shall we say, a bit rubbish for tricks (or maybe it was just me)....

I went through a lot of bikes before I found what suited me, and the BMX that suited me the most was oddly also the cheapest, a 92 Haro Group one costing some 40 odd quid...

Most of my bikes are now gathering dust but the ones that make me happiest riding are the Group one, A fully restored Mk2 Raleigh Chopper, and a GT chucker XS1-09.

I may never be a trick master, but a good ride is always fun  ;)

Ray.

xGoose

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2009, 12:13 PM »
I shudder when I think how much I sold my 2 bikes for! :(

This is so true, I use to have boxes of stuff full of BMX parts as I was always mucking around and changing my bikes. Over my childhood had at least 2 gooses, 2 DB's, a hot heart, and some burners. They just got gradually, stripped down, sold cheap for parts, swapped for crap like master system games, until there was nothing left. Boy do I wish I still had all that stuff!  :-\

BMXed until early 90s then took up quads on the Bauer Turbos with Sims Street Snakes (Ive still got them). Not much happened for the last few years but I got into downhilling about a year ago but its now gone full circle back to BMX. It seems strange looking at the new school bikes now though with all the new brands and parts like those tiny freewheels. I wouldnt know wtf was any good or what wasnt. Gonna get one soon though, maybe an Eastern ;)

Anyway back into it now so alls good!  :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 12:24 PM by xGoose »

LENNY-LENTINI

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2009, 02:07 PM »
82  Started riding the humps/broady banks.
83 got smacked and mugged down the humps. they nicked my Tuff Burner and ran me over on it then gave it/ threw it back at me. ( I know, ????)

87 back down humps on skateboard. then swapped it for me mates D.P freestyler with coaster Tuffs.
88 bought Harry Leary Turbo frame from Super Cycles. Switched to freewheel.
89 started riding with the Broady legends"Kickturn Gang"

93 Start clubbing with old BMX mates working for a music mag. late nights turning into whole weekends, into years.

99 Decided to get fit so bought a Freeagent cruiser ( Light as fook, flexy as pasta, smelly as rabbit tods ).

2009 Still riding the Humps with some of the original Kickturn Gang. Monday neets.

If you feel like riding again just do it. Forget all the new stuff and just do what you enjoy. Who knows it could save your life. Hahaha

bmxer4ever

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2009, 11:52 AM »
If you feel like riding again just do it. Forget all the new stuff and just do what you enjoy. Who knows it could save your life. Hahaha

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2009, 11:13 AM »
Very similar story here, but with alcohol not class A's.

82 I was riding a s/h Ammaco 202 that wieghed 3T but I jumped it off everything.

83 I got a Mongoose Cali. Put Tuffs on it. Jumped it off everything. Broke a Tuff and the LBS hung it on the wall for years. Just mastered the art of getting air on a QP and missed the fooker on the way down. Fractured skull. Hospital. Hysterical parents. Etc.

85 sold Mongoose Cali, went on lads holiday. Girls, booze and clubbing became far more fun.

Spent the next 15 years partying and working through the alphabet of women whilst a student / party animal. Worked as a Jet-Ski mechanic for a summer (fookin' ace job!) and travelled the world. Had great jobs and shite jobs. Rode mountain bikes a bit.

99 our kid bought me a NOS in the box Ammaco 202 for my 30th so he had someone to ride with on his original bike my dad had found in the shed. Built it up. Rode it about and got the bug again.

04 foung a Gen1 on eGay. Mmm. Thought about why would I need two BMXs?

07 found you lot on here and you've helped me clean out all those unwanted pounds from my bank account since then. Started riding skateparks for the first time as we never had any round our way as kids. Had 13 BMXs and still wanted more.

08 mis-judged said skatepark and fractured kull, broke hand and dislocated shoulder. Hysterical wife this time.

08-09 still riding, but can't find the time now at the age of 40 I have a daughter. Guess what - she has a Lil' Ripper and a Minigoose already waiting for her when she's old enough....... oh, and I've still got 5 more BMXs and want more again >:D

Spen :daumenhoch:
Still limping......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Low points in bmx

gfxgfx
gfx gfx