gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 12:25 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  just when you think things are knackered just plod on
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: just when you think things are knackered just plod on  (Read 2976 times)

neiljonarcus

just when you think things are knackered just plod on
« on: October 27, 2009, 09:22 PM »
matt  "swivel "  sent me this stem he has bought . to me it looked pretty tired . it had 2 split,s in it and the bolt hole,s had been stretched and a nice bit of hammer rash . i have only had a chance to sort the top part of the stem out but turned out ok . still got the splits in but i have smothed them out a fair bit and i think matt is a bit happier now  :-*

then a couple of hours later  .......... 120grt     320grt    1200grt    2000gtr     and 3 differnt polishes

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Re: just when you think things are knackered just plod on
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 09:26 PM »
You know me Neil , not a fan of the shiny stuff but that looks a lot better  ;) . Get the stone out know , put the machine lines back in the top cap & re-anno and even better  ;) .

neiljonarcus

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 09:48 PM »
i have tried the brush finish with oil blocks and it looks canny good  :daumenhoch:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 10:13 PM »
i have tried the brush finish with oil blocks and it looks canny good  :daumenhoch:

;)

sweetbeats

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 10:20 PM »
Could look at your refurbs all day fella and never be bored  :daumenhoch: Top Notch  :daumenhoch:

neiljonarcus

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 10:22 PM »
Could look at your refurbs all day fella and never be bored  :daumenhoch: Top Notch  :daumenhoch:

thank you very much ........... i must admit its not every one,s cup of tea . but i just love seeing thing looking tired then just a bit time and effort and hey presto  :daumenhoch:

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 10:23 PM »
how much do you charge?

neiljonarcus

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 10:28 PM »
how much do you charge?

i have started to charge £10 a hour . that cover all my disc,s , polish , time away from family and eletric . but its to much for some people as i have found out . but i dont broadcast my sevices some guys off hear just asked me to do things for them   :daumenhoch:

Offline GTnumber1

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 11:16 PM »
how much do you charge?

i have started to charge £10 a hour . that cover all my disc,s , polish , time away from family and eletric . but its to much for some people as i have found out . but i dont broadcast my sevices some guys off hear just asked me to do things for them   :daumenhoch:

not bad job there matey    :coolsmiley:   i think £10 an hr is a fair price, i dont think peeps realise the amount of rubing down you have to do cos it tires your fooking hands badly going thru grades of paper espescialy if you realy want to be fussy and get every mark out and go thru 150,240,320,400,500,800,1000,1200,1500,2000, and finaly 3000 and then mop it   :daumenhoch:

sweetbeats

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 12:14 AM »

thank you very much ........... i must admit its not every one,s cup of tea . but i just love seeing thing looking tired then just a bit time and effort and hey presto  :daumenhoch:

Me and Shiny shit have always got on well  :D
Any simple way to polish plain Silver DX?
Or do you need all the kit?

(((sonic)))

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 01:36 AM »
I too love the shiny bling and that my friend is the dogs bollocks, Neil the calipers (DC 890??...from memory..) you posted on OZ are truely amazing, my hat goes of to you mate  :4_17_5:

Ben

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 06:10 AM »
wow... local Tesco must luv ya. How much coke and tin foil did you have to buy  :daumenhoch:

Do you have kids? bet they hate getting their faces washed by you  :LolLolLolLol: "STAND STILL...I'm nearly done r..u..b..b..i...n..g.."
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

neiljonarcus

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 06:15 AM »

Me and Shiny shit have always got on well  :D
Any simple way to polish plain Silver DX?
Or do you need all the kit?

pedals are a knightmare to . i have to use my dremmel and a polished know as    """""  peek """"

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 07:12 AM »
Looks sweet mate  :smitten: can't wait to see the whole stem finished, thanks again Neil  :4_17_5:

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 08:33 AM »
looks sweet mate :daumenhoch:

toys19

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 10:59 AM »
Next time you could consider filling the cracks with lumiweld and then polishing. I have seen excellent results in the motorcycle world with this.

Deano

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 05:06 PM »
Neil is my hero :shocked:

Your polishing/sanding is top notch bro. To take out them chunked areas and not leave dips or flat spots is awesome :daumenhoch:

Im guna try some bmx parts this week

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 05:37 PM »
Love seeing them stems all fixed up  ;) U r getting my mind back on 2 a further bit of bodging me thinks  :daumenhoch:

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 06:16 PM »
there is an excellent tech & resto stickie on vintage by Ted Carl all about polishing...cracking read.

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 06:47 PM »
neil you really do have the midas touch,everything you touch turns to .... erm.....chrome!! :smitten:
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

neiljonarcus

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 06:56 PM »
neil you really do have the midas touch,everything you touch turns to .... erm.....chrome!! :smitten:

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

belive me if i can do any one can ........i am as thick as mince

chichi

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 11:08 PM »

Sweetbeats hit the nail on the head. It is always nice to see what you are up to Neil.
Plus a tenner an hour, that's a great price for helping people re-live their youth.
Keep up the good work.
Just getting settled here in OZ and my new rental place has a garage, so time to get my Curtis projects on the go again.
Off to buy some Peek...

neiljonarcus

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 06:06 AM »

Sweetbeats hit the nail on the head. It is always nice to see what you are up to Neil.
Plus a tenner an hour, that's a great price for helping people re-live their youth.
Keep up the good work.
Just getting settled here in OZ and my new rental place has a garage, so time to get my Curtis projects on the go again.
Off to buy some Peek...

hope all is well over there mate  . its nice and cold hear  brhhhhhh . i would love a garage , i think i would just put a bed in there cause i would be in there so much
and get cracking with the curtis  :smitten:

(((sonic)))

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 06:30 AM »

Keep up the good work.
Off to buy some Peek...

ChiChi, where in Aus are you?

To get back on the topic of shiny stems....lol

B

neiljonarcus

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 07:05 AM »
all done matt  . i satin blacked the nut as you asked mate hope you like the end product

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  just when you think things are knackered just plod on

gfxgfx
gfx gfx