gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 08:17 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  crank help please! redline includes a lovely diagram to wet your whistle!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: crank help please! redline includes a lovely diagram to wet your whistle!  (Read 1501 times)

tickz

do I need to have a washer here (A) ?? when I look at fitting instructions online it shows nothing,tis a tufneck chainwheel,it looks like the top hat goes through it and protrudes by half a mm or so?? am I getting something wrong or should I file the tophat, or should there be a washer in (A)........the crank arms are redline 175 new ones and the bb is new

cheers  :)

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
if it's tight when you do it up don't worry about it  :daumenhoch:

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
Or maybe put the top hat in from the arm end if the bolt will sink into it?

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
I put the top hat on the bolt side mate  :daumenhoch:

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
I have had this trouble too !

Try the top hat from the other side like the others said and also a little spring washer where you have suggested in your picture  :daumenhoch:

tickz

I put the top hat on the bolt side mate  :daumenhoch:
tried that it sends it out more?? am I doing something wrong here or does it look correct??

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
If your washer sticks out that much it wouldn't hurt to file it down. Depends on your idea of perfection, me i'd just do it up and ride it till it became a problem then do it right  :angel:

tickz

its not a perfection thing, the gap sends the chainring out enough to derail the chain everytime, like gashead said im gonna stick a spring washer in but didnt know if it was a common practice or something was wrong on how I put it on-saying that if I cant find a spring washer I will file it!! (up the gas!)  :) :)

thanks

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
Take a photo of the bb for us and post it up - Im not sure what you have there is correct !

Looks like you have old arms with a new BB ?

That could also be an issue !

tickz

gonna have to get a photo in the morn but I got the cranks from here s/hand but boxed they are new re-re redline jobbies and the chain wheel is tuff neck? the cranks are powdered but I cant see that makin a difference?

Voodoocars

The chainring should be flat against the crank arm.If the top hat washer is sitting proud then you have either got a thin chainring or the wrong washer.New chainrings are thicker than oldeis I think. I would file the washer down.Easy.  :daumenhoch:

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:

just had the same problem, flipped the top hat washer to otherside sorted straight away. sounds as tho you have bigger problems, maybe something is bent

Offline rollin72

• 900 Air
  • I was a ninja
  • Rated:
I did mine yesterday this is how i set mine up, I put the top hat washer and a thin spacer on the crank arm side and it has to be flush with the back of the disk or it waggles about, I put a washer in position A on your diagram...job done :daumenhoch:
hope this helps

tickz

Heres some photos, cheers people, looks like gashead is correct as its a new school flight crank with a old school chainring on,  so I guess the newer chainrings are thicker by a mm.
gonna give that a shout later(cheers Rollin) or file the top hat down.

Rollin, did you do that graffiti in your avatar??

Offline rollin72

• 900 Air
  • I was a ninja
  • Rated:
looking at your pic the top hat wants filing down
as for the graff yeah i did it ::)
nah i just stole it from the net >:D

tickz

looking at your pic the top hat wants filing down
as for the graff yeah i did it ::)
nah i just stole it from the net >:D

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:20 PM by tickz »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  crank help please! redline includes a lovely diagram to wet your whistle!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx