gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 01:36 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  BMX Influences that have stayed with you through life....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: BMX Influences that have stayed with you through life....  (Read 5264 times)

Offline Faze7-Ade

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
BMX Influences that have stayed with you through life....
« on: October 17, 2009, 09:15 PM »
I recently did a school reunion after 26 years from leaving school. I arrived late as usual, and found those who were there already were predicting what people would look like when they got there.

They predicted that I'd turn up in some sort of BMX related stuff, and sure enough they were spot on. I was wearing Vans, an Oakley T shirt and jeans.

So that got me thinking, I've had some things that I wear or do, that are still influenced by my BMX days in the early '80s -

I always wear Vans, I only wear Oakley sun glasses, and I only feel at home on a mountian bike with flat pedals !

Anyone else find the same thing ?

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
Re: BMX Influences that have stayed with you through life....
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 10:33 PM »
Moving through any landscape - countryside or urban you can't help but look for things to ride - sussing out bust-ability, surface, obstacles. Once you interpret environment with wheels under you you never really get out of seeing things in that way.

Which reminds me, EVERY time I go past that Little Chef on the A1 near Newark I swear to myself I'm going to ride its curved half-pipe of a roof one day... and I will.

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

rosscoe

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 02:08 PM »
that roof was conquered many years ago iirc..........   :daumenhoch:

bmxer4ever

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 11:27 PM »
Vans.
Hardly worn anything else since 1983...!
G :daumenhoch:

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 11:33 PM »

Good one, i do that too, probably most of us do?

lodge

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 11:37 PM »
Physical pain on a daily basis.

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 12:00 AM »
knee's and elbows

kirk

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 07:05 AM »
I still draw stick men doing jumps and airiels on stick BMX`s in meetings at work when bored.  ::) I did that when I was a school

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 07:33 AM »
that roof was conquered many years ago iirc..........   :daumenhoch:

it was...  by 3 mini's in the italian job!!!   
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

WizardWeb

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 11:01 AM »
For me, BMX related brands all the way really. I still wear Vans and also Vision Street Wear shoes - if you can find good new ones, most of the recent ones seem a bit Emo-ed out. I also wear Fox T's. I much prefer BMX Brand MTB's so I've got a GT MTB and have looked at buying a Haro, but they don't seem to get good reviews.

OS colours are still a thing for me. There's a corporate taxi firm in London that uses Fiat Multipla's painted Blue and Grey like the Streetbeats. Wonder if an OS rider runs it.... And I like 5 spoke wheels on a car because they remind me of Tuffs. The white ones on Mini's especially. And anything that reminds me of the 80's Haro's.

Must admit, I liked the professionalism and showmanship of the 80's riders and that's stuck with me in my career. Whenever I've done a project, I've always gone further than I needed to, in the spirit of "Don't just do a cherrypicker - do it well and wave to the crowd, but keep them gagging for more". In other words: added value. Works a treat for getting pay-rises and marking you out from the crowd, without the need to kiss up to the boss. And you can smile to yourself as if you'd just stretched out that can-can like Hoffman.  :LolLolLolLol:

Withy

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 12:23 PM »
Yup gotta be brands.. I think I've got about 8 pairs of Vans atm.. and my 13 and 10 year old daughters both have load too (schoolbags chequered Vans rucksacks too), I reckon most peeps on here will still be wearing vans (apart from Rosscoe, he'll still be in Cons ::)).
I still look for Town and Country T's or Sweatshirts, to no avail though, have to make do with Quiksilver/whatever is around now

Music for sure  - Dead Kennedy's/Public Enemy and the stuff from comps BITD
Just general bike stuff too.. like Danny McAskill on youtube is good and all, but we were all doing G-Turns, Squeakers and nose wheelies 20 odd years ago!!

zed4130

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 12:24 PM »
Vans, and a obsession with stickers    :LolLolLolLol:

rosscoe

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 05:15 PM »
as well as the brands and stuff, I still rely on myself and nobody else...........riding my bike if I was crap it was my fault and if I was good it was my fault too, nobody but yourself to blame.

Still like to do what I do to the best standards I can... whatever it is....and thats all probably linked into this bike thing

Ged

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 05:48 PM »
Moving through any landscape - countryside or urban you can't help but look for things to ride - sussing out bust-ability, surface, obstacles. Once you interpret environment with wheels under you you never really get out of seeing things in that way.

Which reminds me, EVERY time I go past that Little Chef on the A1 near Newark I swear to myself I'm going to ride its curved half-pipe of a roof one day... and I will.

10 mins from my house..

dialledbikes

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 10:27 PM »
Vans (though I have strayed to Nike 6.0 for my last 2 purchases) & Oakley shades and t-shirts till I die :daumenhoch:

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 04:18 AM »
got be vans for me to, had some in the late 70's dark blue to go with the newporter pro skateboard      z boy wana be   :LolLolLolLol:,  then wore em for bmx ,when the tuff wheel captured my thoughts, currently wearing out a pair o black 38's , :smitten:   , think you got to agree with ed when your out and about at work or whatever  you look at the landscape diferently to other people,  eg those big curbs that are the service stations everywhere,  average jo will see a big curb,  i see sparks of the pegs and a 180 out, that started with kick turns on grass banks, the other thing is mind clearing solitude just rolling down the street hoppin on and off the curb on your own , my old fella was a right cnunt and the bike was an easy way to get away from that, just get on it and fook off for the whole day, i guess that has realy stuck with me more than anything, pull on me old worn out vans and dissapear to the smiley place  :daumenhoch:

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 11:05 PM »
i finished with bmx in 86 after my rickman freestyler got nicked and only got back into it a year ago after coming on this site,but the one thing i have always done in that time is look at the bike if i see someone riding a bmx.
i always hoped  i would see someone on the rickman but i never did :knuppel2:

sanderson

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 10:25 PM »
VANS,GOT LOADS

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  BMX Influences that have stayed with you through life....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx