gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 29, 2024, 10:30 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  I'm guessing a few are watching this ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: I'm guessing a few are watching this ?  (Read 4793 times)

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
Re: I'm guessing a few are watching this ?
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2006, 10:58 AM »
Hutch is crap too.

Back off the HUTCH, quality may have been a bit wayward at times but overall it's class gear (apart from the cranks which granted are crap).

Andy
Why oh why do I still buy kids bikes!

theRuler

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2006, 10:59 AM »
well thats set the marker for numberplates
not bothered about crap like that, but when these stupid prices occur on stuff that is good, its a bit of a kick in the nuts to the average old schooler who just wants to build up an old haro or a TA for fun

the stupid prices will kill this hobby off in the long run

then value of stuff will plummet
and i will still be there . . .  and buy it all up at a good rate. same as before. and the time before that

subwax

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2006, 11:07 AM »
Usually I'll listen to a good argument, but not this time - Hutch is pants, and overpriced pants too. Period.

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2006, 11:58 AM »
the stupid prices will kill this hobby off in the long run

have to disagree , it just means that the small quantity of stuff that comes up for sale will cost more , most on here have a nice little collection going, and yea people who cant afford this stuff will have to go on wanting but has high prices stopped people collecting VWs or other classic cars , and high prices mean that the hobby can self fund itself pretty well

Rich :)

Offline jimmyp

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2006, 12:01 PM »
Agree, there's no going back to the good old days with this. alot of you should count yourselfs lucky you got in at the start. Think about the people who are just getting involved :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2006, 01:03 PM »
Yep ,if you have at least one cool ride you are doing well IMHO because by the time this is at its peak you will be one of the lucky ones

Rich

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2006, 01:16 PM »
The prices of stuff go up and down all the time, i for one aint bothered at all as i have now got all i need and am not a collector, so theres one person less to bid against, the prices vary as much in whos building what at what time and how desperatly quick an item is needed, usually the last bit of a build, overall i think prices for f/f (rippers, ta's, for example) are pretty constant and even dip suprisingly, prices are governed by fads i reckon, look at the interest in burner stuff at mo, its roundabouts n swings, always will be

Offline Waxintaxin

• Team Owner
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2006, 01:34 PM »
The prices of stuff go up and down all the time, i for one aint bothered at all as i have now got all i need and am not a collector, so theres one person less to bid against, the prices vary as much in whos building what at what time and how desperatly quick an item is needed, usually the last bit of a build, overall i think prices for f/f (rippers, ta's, for example) are pretty constant and even dip suprisingly, prices are governed by fads i reckon, look at the interest in burner stuff at mo, its roundabouts n swings, always will be 

The prices are steadily going up ,yes annual fluctuations occur , normally round xmas and summer holiday time. But aero pros can not and i think never will be able to be bought for 40 quid ever again, they went to 100 and then to 200 now they are at about 400 quid for a full bike

Rippers will never be 100 quid again

Tas will never be 90 quid again

prices are rising and will continue to do so untill the arse falls out the scene , I say 4/5 years from now if we still have interest its going to be around for a long time, if it drops off in the next 2 years then its going to dive

but who cares , i love my bikes now , and i will love them then

Rich

theRuler

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2006, 02:11 PM »
the cost of old VW's doesnt rise like the cost of bike stuff is currently doing now!

i'm glad more people are into collecting the old school bikes
i like the fact that it becomes a gateway for people to start riding again

the more people (my age) that ride then the more chance i have of having someone to ride with.
at the start of this century i only knew of a couple of people who were entusiastic enough to ride. in the mid nineties i had half a dozen or so riding buddies.
now with this old bmx collecting bringing people our age together i know more riders now than in the past ten years or so put together

the prices of parts rising doesnt really effect me too much. (ebay aint the only place to get your os bmx fix)
but in the long run it will stop some oldies getting back on a bike.
at the epic jam i am thinking instead of bringing show n shine bikes, i'll just bring a couple of riders. then a spectator can use my spare bike

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2006, 02:25 PM »
at the epic jam i am thinking instead of bringing show n shine bikes, i'll just bring a couple of riders. then a spectator can use my spare bike

thats a good idea for anybody how has a spare rider  :daumenhoch:.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2006, 05:42 PM »
Must admit that current prices have put me off Old school collecting anymore. I've just got enough parts to put the 4 old schoolers I've got together and once they are done I'll be happy, their are lots of other bikes I would like but I'm not paying silly money for the privilage. ROLL ON THE PRICE CRASH ;D

Just going to concentrate on riding now get an mid school OS legal racer togther (and a new schooler) then thrash the Teets off them till me bodies totally fooked (which won't be long).

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2006, 10:26 AM »

prices are rising and will continue to do so untill the arse falls out the scene , I say 4/5 years from now if we still have interest its going to be around for a long time, if it drops off in the next 2 years then its going to dive

but who cares , i love my bikes now , and i will love them then

Rich
[/quote]

the 4/5 years prediction is spot on i reckon, the majority of these bikes are bein bought by people who had them BITD and are still of an age to get away with enjoyin them, the huge price surge at the moment is definately fuelled by Radbmx, (a victim of its own success) 902 members! most of which only got the itch from finding this site, but thats a lot of new compitition for the fewer parts that are left. If the buyin stuff you rode BITD theory is right and most interest is gained when your in your thirties and have a bit of cash to witter on wants rather than needs, then the early mid/school stuff should start becoming more sought after as that generation start lookin for their old rides, the mid/school bargains are out there dudes but predictin what's gonna be sought after before prices go up is gonna be the biggest headache.

or am i talking crap? :)

subwax

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2006, 11:09 AM »
I disagree with the 90's theory - BMX was never as popular in the 90's as it was in the 80's. I reckon the 90's generation are looking to collect Nintendo's and other games consoles. Bikes had come and gone by then, for the mainstream at least.

This price drop prediction is heavily based on the fact that all those who are looking for parts now will not be looking, and all those who own bikes will want to sell them. Not a sound basis for the theory, i'm afraid. From my point of view, I have spent a fair amount of cash on my collection, and there is no way I am going to let any of it got for the sake of getting rid of it - I wouldnt sell any of it now, and I can get good prices on some of the stuff I have got, so what on earth would i want to get rid of it for less for.

I am not alone here - there are loads of collectors here with as much, if not much more than me, who no doubt feel the same.

In an ironic twist of feat though - Eline lightning bolt seats, a year ago, over 200 - 250 bucks - today, BIN 49 bucks. Maybe prices arent going wildly out of control after all.

gmac

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2006, 11:20 AM »
Hmmm, that is a twist of feat  ;D

subwax

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2006, 12:31 PM »
Oops - i meant fete!

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

theRuler

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2006, 12:38 PM »
Oops - i meant fete!

:LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

a twist of fete?

:)

Offline ORB

• Founding Fathers
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2006, 12:53 PM »
I dont give a rats what happens to the value, I am gonna win the lotto on saturday so i dont much care :)

gmac

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2006, 01:00 PM »
Don't suppose you mean fate do you, Rainman ?

:2funny:

theRuler

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2006, 01:01 PM »
I dont give a rats what happens to the value, I am gonna win the lotto on saturday so i dont much care :)

i bet you an ayrton that you dont

Offline Bigplinky

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2006, 01:06 PM »

In an ironic twist of feat though - Eline lightning bolt seats, a year ago, over 200 - 250 bucks - today, BIN 49 bucks. Maybe prices arent going wildly out of control after all.

I think the price of Elina lightning bolts is more the work of pirates yer can't tell me that a container full of black seats has been left minty fresh in the far east for that long and has only just been discovered now (and only in black). But I think this brings in the next big trend for OS bmx which is repro's. The classic motorcycle world has had repro performance and replacement parts for years it's just part of the scene now as there is no way you can get some of the old parts anymore without reproing them. The big question for OS BMX I think is is it OK to have repro's that are indistinguishable from the real thing (devaluing the real thing) or should they be dated  / marked differently, Personally I think been identical is OK but it's then buyer beware on quality and price.

Andy

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2006, 04:34 PM »
I disagree with the 90's theory - BMX was never as popular in the 90's as it was in the 80's. I reckon the 90's generation are looking to collect Nintendo's and other games consoles. Bikes had come and gone by then, for the mainstream at least.

Bollox! the scene was even bigger up here in the 90's, loads of scruffy scrotes in herds swarming around the towns memorials and ridin hard dude, just coz it wasnt on the telly doesnt mean it wasnt popular.  And as i said and you verified "This price drop prediction is heavily based on the fact that all those who are looking for parts now will not be looking" and then the next generation take over from where this one left off.  i like and buy cars i thought were cool when i wasw a kid, my dad bought cars he thought were cool when he was a kid, each generation will create thier own classics and price s will represent this as time goes on.

ive got five bikes and in all i have spent well under a grand on them, just by biding my time and knowing a bargain and building bikes that are up for the job and feel right for my riding.

Offline jimmyp

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2006, 04:52 PM »
Only time will tell but it's going to be interesting to find out ;) ;) :) :)

retrorider.u.k

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2006, 05:25 PM »
at least its been sold to someone who wants it and not gone in a skip.it may only be plastic but rare items whatever they are, cost.the salad days on buying items have gone.i think complete bikes will see substantial price rises as the parts run dry   ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 09:37 AM by retrorider.u.k »

subwax

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2006, 07:14 PM »
Tell you what, Gmac - you can really go off someone, cant you!!!

Fate indeed. I just couldnt get that.

I think I have taken the "rekindle my youth" thing a bit far - now I am concentrating more on my BMX's that on my spelling.

Tipycal!!!

Offline Rombloke

• Team Owner
  • My life is Radbmx
  • do one
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2006, 07:39 PM »
i did mention the other month that prices were going out of hand a bit.
myself and waxin have had many an indepth msn conversation about os parts, and their prices.
as rich haas already said, its all about supply and demand.....garuntee that bloke has a b ox of those little puppies and releases em every two months or so...lol..

anyway pete quad, neil, jono and radman have all the good stuff, so i blame them

BASTARDS

Dave
haro, how do you do

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  I'm guessing a few are watching this ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx