gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 12:44 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Question for the Haro boys...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Question for the Haro boys...  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
Question for the Haro boys...
« on: October 11, 2009, 08:47 AM »
Are the early frames powdercoated or wet coated? Chatting with Dan recently, we were talking about the 84/85 Haro's and Dan seems to think that they were wet coated as it was too early for powdering really, especially with some of the finishes his seen on the original paint versions. So does anyone know if they were they wet coated or powdered? I think the later ones are but if anyone can shed some light on it, that'll be great, ta.

Matt  :daumenhoch:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Question for the Haro boys...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 08:55 AM »
does he mean too early for haro to be using powder, think it would be very difficult to wet paint millions of frames accurately, unless they were dipped, but that would be too expensive....
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 08:59 AM »
Sam yeah, I think that's what Dan said, basically too early for haro to be using powdercoating, especially of the standards his seen on some of the early frames. Although, they might have been powdered, one of the haro bof's on here should know ;)

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 09:02 AM »
Stalk Bob on facebook and ask him :)

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 09:03 AM »
I do already Gaz  :LolLolLolLol:

neiljonarcus

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 09:05 AM »
I THINK DEFFO PAINT IT CHIPS OFF TO EASY FOR POWDER PLUS  "shit cap locks " the neon red and green  is a dual coat system

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 11:20 AM »
i'm just not convinved that many of the bikes where powdered, i only know this

by when i strip them, you can clearly see a base coat/primer then a top coat,

powder has really only took over the industrial finish in the last 20 years,

although powder has been going on for many years it wasnt the prefered

finish :)
For powder coating drop me a pm

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 12:14 PM »
My NOS 85 HARO is deffo wet painted and is not a powder, however I can confirm that bike companies were using powder coating bitd as it was a selling point for the Scorpion range of bikes....

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 01:45 PM »
i think DP used to powder there frames from what i can remember of their adverts  :daumenhoch:

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 07:43 PM »
I could be wrong but I think most of the early paint jobs were 'wet"!

How many times have we heard people trying to match an old school colour with powder with no luck

... if it's a struggle to match a colour to a powder now then I very much doubt that there was a powder back then  :daumenhoch:

John

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 09:47 PM »

How many times have we heard people trying to match an old school colour with powder with no luck

... if it's a struggle to match a colour to a powder now then I very much doubt that there was a powder back then  :daumenhoch:

John

there was powder in the 80s, infact it's been used since the 60s but only in basic colours, i think

many of the early 80s frames that where powdered are in the basic colours, ie black,white red ect

that's why it so hard to copy the haro greens ect,   :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 09:50 PM by SuperBikeDan »

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 10:52 PM »

John

there was powder in the 80s, infact it's been used since the 60s but only in basic colours, i think

many of the early 80s frames that where powdered are in the basic colours, ie black,white red ect

yeh Dan.. I know it was around..... but take the Redline red or yellow for example.... not seen a powder nowadays to exactly match it - so if there isn't a powder now then I would doubt there was a powder back then so does it stand to reason that it was a wet paint?

From memory it chipped easily too and was easily removed with nitromors and I didn't think nitromors would touch powder?

.... just an observation fella as I know you're the man when it comes to painting so I wouldn't doubt your expertise or judgement dude  :daumenhoch:

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 11:06 PM »

John

yeh Dan.. I know it was around..... but take the Redline red or yellow for example.... not seen a powder nowadays to exactly match it - so if there isn't a powder now then I would doubt there was a powder back then so does it stand to reason that it was a wet paint?

From memory it chipped easily too and was easily removed with nitromors and I didn't think nitromors would touch powder?

.... just an observation fella as I know you're the man when it comes to painting so I wouldn't doubt your expertise or judgement dude  :daumenhoch:

your bang on mate :daumenhoch: powder can be matched but very very expensive,  wet paint colour sampling is cheap,

a small 1litre of paint, add a bit more colour untill your happy and that's it, colour ready to go ;)

this is why i think many of the colours outside the standard colour range where wet paint.

many peeps say about cost and speed of powder but we use pressure pot guns for wet paints that

are faster than powder guns :daumenhoch:

Offline JAY

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 11:14 PM »
Matt, Both the USA and Tai 84 framesets have grey primer underneath the paint, Don't know what type of paint it is though.The Torker frames always seem to be well painted, but the Tai frames barely have any paint on as you can see the grey primer though the top coat.
Like i've said,i'm not sure what type of paint they used, but would be interested to know, or if there is a way of telling the type of paint used.

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 11:22 PM »
Matt, Both the USA and Tai 84 framesets have grey primer underneath the paint, Don't know what type of paint it is though.The Torker frames always seem to be well painted, but the Tai frames barely have any paint on as you can see the grey primer though the top coat.
Like i've said,i'm not sure what type of paint they used, but would be interested to know, or if there is a way of telling the type of paint used.

jay one things for sure is that the old paint will be lead based so you wont be able to copy

that excatly but a colours a colour so with todays paint systems you will get it copied

spot on :)

no colour is out of reach of being copied, mattdubs ghp is a prime example of colour

matching in wet paint :daumenhoch:

Offline JAY

• Site Supporter
  • Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 11:35 PM »
Thanks for the info Dan, I've never had anything painted or powdered for a very long time, but if i was to restore any 84 Haro, i'd go for paint and if it could be grey primered, even better.
Yeah Matts GHP looked awsome, great job :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Question for the Haro boys...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx