gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 03:28 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Coaster Brake for Spoked Wheels
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Coaster Brake for Spoked Wheels  (Read 394 times)

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Coaster Brake for Spoked Wheels
« on: October 10, 2009, 02:43 PM »
I've just bought a new bike with decent brakes but I'm thinking of fitting a coaster brake as I am used to having one.
I've seen the odd Shimano one and some new ones made in Europe somewhere.
Are they all pretty much the same to ride with, my Skyways have a Suntour one which does pretty much what it's supposed to.
I will have to get a rim as well because as far as I know coaster hubs are only available with 36 holes.

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Coaster Brake for Spoked Wheels
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 02:50 PM »
I have had a few Shimano ones & they are very good, you can if you can find one, get a Peregrine Free-coaster which is 48H & change the insides around so you get a 48H Coaster Brake  :daumenhoch:

I have a free-coaster on my New Skoo, the new skool brakes are so good you don't really need a coaster brake + you don't have the problem of it locking up o you  :(

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 03:09 PM »
Interesting you say about the freecoaster hubs. I was looking at a few writeups I found and all the bits look the same. Are any of them based on a particular make of coaster hub ?

I've got used to riding with one and tend to always rest on the back pedal whan doing a lot of things. I dare say I could get used to not having one, just wondered what was about now.

Daletsunami

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 03:24 PM »
Got a set of suntour hubs with the rear a Coaster brake sat doing nothing that I took from a set of pro class, they'd be 36's though

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 08:58 PM »
Interesting you say about the freecoaster hubs. I was looking at a few writeups I found and all the bits look the same. Are any of them based on a particular make of coaster hub ?

I've got used to riding with one and tend to always rest on the back pedal whan doing a lot of things. I dare say I could get used to not having one, just wondered what was about now.

I know what you mean about resting on the back pedal, but I'm sure you would get used to not having one  ???

I have one of these on my bike

http://www.federalbikes.com/09/?page_id=84

They come in both 36 & 48 I think  :)

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 11:58 PM »
Thanks for the link. I will have a bit more of a look round when I get the chance.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Coaster Brake for Spoked Wheels

gfxgfx
gfx gfx