gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975760 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 07:11 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Portable BMX Ramp that collapses and fits in a rucksack
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Portable BMX Ramp that collapses and fits in a rucksack  (Read 6650 times)

moley

Portable BMX Ramp that collapses and fits in a rucksack
« on: October 08, 2009, 07:26 PM »
I bought a a small kicker ramp off TwoBobRob with 2 height settings which is good with excellent build quality but I have to transport it in a car because its fooking heavy.

I also bought 2 rampage ramps with a bridge but they are also quite cumbersome.

Rob's ramp hasn't got much use because even on the lower setting its higher then the rampage ramps and I'm really, really shite at getting over them too!!

In fact I've just been out on them and I am still all over the place.   In fact I make Haro82 look stable!!!  :LolLolLolLol:

I haven't hit the deck yet but I've had quite a few scares!!   :D

Anyway I thought I'd look around for something smaller that would ease my creaking bones and ease the fear that is etched into my face and I found this :-

http://www.xs-air.com/

What ya think?

Its still too fookin high for me  :-[   I need something a 2 year old could jump!!  :(

but I thought it was a nice bit of kit and I haven't seen anything like it before!!  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 07:39 PM by moley »

Bettyswallocks

Re: Portable BMX Ramp that collapses and fits in a rucksack
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 07:30 PM »
Plank and 2 bricks

Way cheaper...  :daumenhoch:

moley

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 07:33 PM »
I'd just end up like the 2nd dude on this videoclip!!!  :LolLolLolLol:

retrorides

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 07:34 PM »
looks fooooooookin mental that mate  :LolLolLolLol:

JT71

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 08:49 PM »
now I'm no jumper moley. but if you had two of those back to back you could jump then slowly pull them apart right?

looks like fun. 

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 08:55 PM »
why dont you just find a tall kerb somewhere and put a ramp up it and try getting a little air off it and just landing on the pavement, then progress with some small surports under it to raise it bit by bit... :)
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

JT71

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 08:58 PM »
i only just learned jumping at all, on a very small transition jump with a flat landing on a concrete and tarmac bmx track thingy....

bit of a trek though Moley...it's in  Abingdon near Oxford!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 09:05 PM »
find some speed humps and use them as a table top jump.... ;)

Online bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 09:11 PM »

http://www.xs-air.com/

Looks cool as fook - i'd probably kill meself on the first go though  :buck2:

:LolLolLolLol:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

moanjam

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 09:24 PM »
spot on that moley just gave me a great idea for the lads chrimbo present

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 09:26 PM »
ei! ya! moley....

moanjam

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 09:29 PM »
ei! ya! moley....

/>
looks a bit tastey that sam  ;D

moley

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 09:39 PM »
why dont you just find a tall kerb somewhere and put a ramp up it and try getting a little air off it and just landing on the pavement, then progress with some small surports under it to raise it bit by bit... :)

I'm not buying one.

I already have some ramps the same size!!

I just haven't seen this one before!!

I've messed around on the 1ft high ramps on my 20" PK XLP and it didn't feel too bad.  I wasn't getting much air but it felt okay.   I went out today on my 92 GT Cruiser and I was fookin scaring myself!!   A couple of near misses and the rest okay.   I'm alright at speed when sucking the jump up but when I try to get air or just float over then I'm all over the shop.   I think I need to practice my Bunny hops!!  :-\

Napolean Dynamite has put me off a brick one!!   Plus I remember all the times  they collapsed/slipped when I was a kid!!   :LolLolLolLol:

The curbs around here are next to useless so I'm gonna build a little 15-20 cm ramp to practice on and keep on practicing on the big ramps too when I get the time!!

Online bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 01:10 AM »

I'm gonna build a little 15-20 cm ramp to practice on

Get some pics up when yer done mate  :daumenhoch:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 01:28 AM »
Moley - don't bother mate.  That xs ramp won't be any different to the ramp you already have from me.

Also, jumping a small ramp on a cruiser will only exascerbate the feeling of being 'kicked'.  Remember us talking about bike wheelbase and ramp length?

Get my ramp out to a spot where it can be set as the launch for a step up of some sort as we discussed originally. Round up a group of mates and session the thing. You'll have it sorted in a single afternoon, I promise you.  Riding new or challenging stuff by yourself is always scary, you need some people around you bud.

Kicker ramps need to be hit hard and agressively. If you dawdly over them you'll usually dead sailor or go straight to faceplant.  Hence the reason for a step up scenario. Plenty of speed and a target to aim for   ;)

JT71

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 06:14 AM »
.  Riding new or challenging stuff by yourself is always scary, you need some people around you bud.

fact!

lol I nearly poo'd my pants trying feeble grinds at Chacombe on my own yesterday, got em ok, but it's amazing how having someone there to advise and push you along
helps get it done.

part time

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 08:00 AM »

The curbs around here are next to useless so I'm gonna build a little 15-20 cm ramp to practice on and keep on practicing on the big ramps too when I get the time!!

Christ you may as well use an open thick book  :D

moley

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 09:00 AM »
Moley - don't bother mate.  That xs ramp won't be any different to the ramp you already have from me.

Also, jumping a small ramp on a cruiser will only exascerbate the feeling of being 'kicked'.  Remember us talking about bike wheelbase and ramp length?

Get my ramp out to a spot where it can be set as the launch for a step up of some sort as we discussed originally. Round up a group of mates and session the thing. You'll have it sorted in a single afternoon, I promise you.  Riding new or challenging stuff by yourself is always scary, you need some people around you bud.

Kicker ramps need to be hit hard and agressively. If you dawdly over them you'll usually dead sailor or go straight to faceplant.  Hence the reason for a step up scenario. Plenty of speed and a target to aim for   ;)

I'm not buying one!!   :D

Yep,  I know what you mean!!   20" I was okay but the Cruiser felt really awkward.   It did feel a lot a safer at full pelt and not even trying to get any air!!  :daumenhoch:

I haven't found a suitable step up to ease the landings yet!!     I bought the plastic ramps because they had the bridge on it so I thought it would ease my landings, which it does because I can't even clear 1m.  Plus they aren't as tall as your Ramp on the lowest setting.   I then removed the bridge and it was fine.   I'll give the Cruiser a miss on the ramps from now on!!

I'll look around for a small retaining wall thats at the ramp height so that I can prop it up against it with a nice grassy landing.

I used to be good at Bunnyhops as a kid and I was always fine at jumping.  Among my local group of BMX amateurs I always got the most air and furthest distance.  I think the fear factor and lack of all round ability is main failing!!  :(

JD_76

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 09:28 AM »
That tuition DVD you gave me says "the only way to learn to jump is to jump, start small then get bigger"

Have you watched the DVD yet mate  :LolLolLolLol:

Only just learning myself and have found you kind of have to feel the fear but jump anyway, ive also found the faster you go the easier it is but that takes even more fear facing to start with.

Have you tried to clear the first jump on the first straight at preston yet?

moley

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 09:37 AM »
Have you watched the DVD yet mate!!

Yeah, I watched it once!!  Why?  Does it not self destruct after the first viewing!!  ???

Have you tried to clear the first jump on the first straight at preston yet?

Have I fook!!  :-[

I'm gonna have to start a lot smaller and work my way up.   As a kid I started with 1 brick high ramps and worked up.  I'm gonna have to do the same.   Trouble is I was riding every spare hour of the day.   Now I'm lucky if I get on my bike once every week!!  :(

You have an advantage over me anyway JD........................your fookin mental!!

Your Hartlepool exploits, although funny to the power of sick.....................was truly impressive.   You just should have given up jumping after your wobble on the 2nd straight.   You had it in the bag!!   ;D

JD_76

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 10:20 AM »
Right then, by the end of the day on Sunday I will at least get you to atempt to jump that jump - starting with landing in the middle at slow speed  ;)

Whats the worst that can happen? you have gloves, knee pads and body armour on.

We will be calling you "Eddie the mole" by the end of the day  ;D

moley

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 10:26 AM »
Right then, by the end of the day on Sunday I will at least get you to atempt to jump that jump - starting with landing in the middle at slow speed  ;)

Are you talking about the Double at the end of the 1st straight?

No worries there JD.........I can't keep the fooker on the ground.  I always land in the middle!!  :D

JD_76

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 10:33 AM »

Are you talking about the Double at the end of the 1st straight?

Hmm, having never been there I think so, from a vid I watched on Youtube I thought there were two jumps on the first straight - the first smaller than the 2nd?

Is the first tiny then - too small to jump?

bof

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 10:42 AM »
Moley you are such a d1ck  ;D. I will ask flem if he will pick you up and throw you over the doubles so you know how it feels . The first time is always the worst , when you have done it once its easy. :2funny:

moley

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 11:39 AM »
Moley you are such a d1ck  ;D. I will ask flem if he will pick you up and throw you over the doubles so you know how it feels . The first time is always the worst , when you have done it once its easy. :2funny:

I dont think Flem will be strong enough to throw me over the doubles.  I'm no lightweight ya know!!  :D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Portable BMX Ramp that collapses and fits in a rucksack

gfxgfx
gfx gfx