gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 07:31 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  anyone else having/had a purge?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: anyone else having/had a purge?  (Read 805 times)

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
anyone else having/had a purge?
« on: October 08, 2009, 12:04 PM »
After about 5 years of collecting all the bikes I ever wanted, sourcing all the parts, restoring, refurbing, repairing, powdercoating, anodising, stickering etc etc ... I got to the pnt where collecting bikes lost it's former joy for me. I still love to look at the bikes others have built, whcih is why I love Rad, but personally I hatred having all these bikes, with no where to put them, and them not being ridden, it started to feel more like an obsession than a hobby ...
So, for the past two years Ive been thinking of doing it, and now Ive done it. I have sold everything I had, apart form my purple PK Ripper which will never fetch what I spent on it, and my old DK Generallee which is worth fook all.
Ive sold my way through about 15 boxes of parts, and a room for frames/forks/bars/ etc etc and some complete bikes, and it's felt great to sell em on to others who love old school and mid school bikes. Some I nmade money on, but most I broke even, and the odd  part went for lesss than I spent to fellow radsters, to keep em ' in the family' as it were.
this is probably the wrong place to say this, as this is an old school site, but it feels good to be rid of it all, and to have just my one holy grail, which was the purple pk I wanted in the 90s.
I just wondered if anyone else fells of felt the same? Ive been selling off for the past coupld of years so it hasnt been a rash decision, and I dont regret or miss anything Ive let go.
SO - 25 bikes or so, down to 1 shopiece, one banger, and my modern BMX and MTb bikes.
Anyone else had a purge of late???!
steve

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
Re: anyone else having/had a purge?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 12:07 PM »
Steve, i think its about time you got kickstart up an running, check out the thread you have a good following ready for you to bring it back Sunday morning along with Jnr Kickstart.

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 12:29 PM »
ive vowed never to have more than 5 bikes and they must all be ridden

im in the process of selling my mtb, so will only have my 1in holmes, 1/18th holmes, 1/18th gt pro series and my main ride a s&m blackbike, oh and i might be building a new main ride to replace my blackbike which i will keep so im back upto 5 already :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 12:33 PM »
Think i've gone from 1, up to about 22, then down to 8 and now up to 13 bikes lol. Not in the mood to purge at present, but i'd never sell my Gen 1's or Masters, everything is lovely but the white Master is the reason I got back into this collecting lark  ;)

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 12:35 PM »
got 10/11, and will be purging the vast majority shortly.

so i can do it all over again.

:LolLolLolLol:

moley

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 12:57 PM »
I had a purge around 10am.   I feel a lot better for it!!  :daumenhoch:

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 01:00 PM »
I had a purge around 10am.   I feel a lot better for it!!  :daumenhoch:

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

:daumenhoch:
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

Offline southern andy

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 02:30 PM »
Ummmmm, i've sort of lost a lot of interest recently, don't know why as i was fine a few weeks ago.

I'm contemplating selling all of mine but keeping my Mongoose which is a third built. Not really sure what to do to be honest.  ??? :-[ :-[

I got back in to this sport to start racing again but my injury's in the last 18months have been quite bad and i'm paranoid about hurting myself again, i think this is one of the reasons as to my lack of interest.
One build a year, the only way to get it right. No rushing involved.

gobshite

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 02:50 PM »
i felt the same steve when i built the challenger/holmes/sabbath etc,

i loved building them but having them sat around collecting dust just really annoyed me,
i do have a few small regrets every now and again though,

all i kept was the red 125 frame-kit boxed up,

i've got my s&m rider and the t1 project left now,

dannywhiteley

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 06:01 PM »
Ive just about sold the Quadangle (fingers crossed), but will keep the complete TA and the Rebel Freestyler as they are THE two bikes I would have killed for as a kid.  The Quad was just a bonus that didnt really mean much to me.

Unless I ever get desperate I will keep those two and have since added a lovely 1991 Marin Palisades hardtail mtb and a 2008 Saracen roadbike.

Thats all the bikes I need, and to be honest I love not having the stress of chasing the right parts for the right price, waiting for parcels to be delivered full of parts that I am either disappointed with or like but end up on a bike that will never get ridden.

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 06:11 PM »
i have just about sold all my old school,i have a few nos frames stashed away and 3 old ones..staying.i may need 1 more trickstar.
i kept my mids got a shat load and they can all stay..migt trade out a few frames from time to time..
im into the new bikes and parts ,just building one at present   :smitten:

donkeybambam

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 07:45 PM »
IVE GOT 11 BIKES. NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD HAVE SO MANY! :2funny:

ALL I CAN TELL YA IS THAT MUNNERS SAID THE OTHER NIGHT THAT HE REGRETS SELLING HIS BIKES NOW. ALL HE HAS IS A SKYWAY STRIGHT BAR PAD :D :D HE IS GONNA START AGAIN SOON AS HE JUST SOLD HIS GAFF. :idiot2:

I COULDNT SELL MINE. I ENJOY THEM AND RIDE THEM TO. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

dannywhiteley

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 08:20 PM »
I'd regret for life it if I sold that TA!

sid1972

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 08:25 PM »
I really want to get riding again - and just cannot kept both and fund a rider aswell, I only have 2 old schools with live in the basement and dragging them up for a look now and again is a pain.

so they have to go, I will proberbly regret it, but it has to be more fun riding than looking and dusting all the time.  ???

Offline jimmyp

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 08:33 PM »
Think ive got 3 builds left in me then im gonna take some time out or quit. I know what you mean m8, its draining somtimes and leaves you feeling like "is it all worth it". Then i got my Kewi E.T. out today and was looking at it and thought yeah, it is  :daumenhoch:

May trim down though when ive finnished the other builds  :-\ :-\ :-\ :)

magna13

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 09:09 PM »
Fair play Stevey boy, i've also had and came to the point where the bikes just are not getting ridden and are laying around. I used to have like 8-10 but now im down to four. My NS park, My NS race, my Race Raleigh Burner and one excellent example of a Original Team Burner, just like it came out the shop :smitten: :daumenhoch:

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 09:36 PM »
Yes I did over a year ago, I went from twenty something to around five & now down to just three complete's, one F&F & my New Skool.

I had to really as I moved house & I don't have as much room now  :-\

moanjam

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 09:37 PM »
if anyone else is goin to purge , i'll have first dibbs :D

sid1972

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 09:39 PM »
if anyone else is goin to purge , i'll have first dibbs :D

buy one of mine fella or what you got new school?  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 09:47 PM »

had a couple of moments in the past when i was gonna shift the lot, but tbh honest i have most proberly doubled my collection this year, only 3 or 4 more i fancy but they are rare and hoofing expensive and not one of em is one of those vdc crap bikes

Offline Muffski

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 09:58 PM »
I was in the process of trimming down,i'm now back up to 10 bikes built and 6 F/F .......its too addictive  ;D

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 10:03 PM »
IVE GOT 11 BIKES. NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD HAVE SO MANY! :2funny:

ALL I CAN TELL YA IS THAT MUNNERS SAID THE OTHER NIGHT THAT HE REGRETS SELLING HIS BIKES NOW. ALL HE HAS IS A SKYWAY STRIGHT BAR PAD :D :D HE IS GONNA START AGAIN SOON AS HE JUST SOLD HIS GAFF. :idiot2:

I COULDNT SELL MINE. I ENJOY THEM AND RIDE THEM TO. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

O FCUK NO.......i thought we had gone ginger free  :-\..............thats why i stared buying stuff again... :D

sid1972

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 10:06 PM »

[/quote]

O FCUK NO.......i thought we had gone ginger free  :-\..............thats why i stared buying stuff again... :D
[/quote]

what is it with you and him!  :2funny:

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 08:13 AM »
I'm having a major clearout. I've just about sold all my DB padsets, trinkets, etc and all the framesets are going as well as the NOS Turbo Lite which is complete.

Going to keep my Pro-Star, Silver Streak, Harry Leary, Custom Pro and Leary rider.
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  anyone else having/had a purge?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx