gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 07:30 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Stem wedge - Dry or Grease?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Stem wedge - Dry or Grease?  (Read 674 times)

JD_76

Stem wedge - Dry or Grease?
« on: September 30, 2009, 08:26 AM »
Just a quick one lads, should the o/s type 1" stems that have a wedge to hold them in the fork tube be dry or covered in grease?

On old bikes I have taken appart they seem to have some kind of lube on them, just not sure.

Cheers.

zed4130

Re: Stem wedge - Dry or Grease?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 08:29 AM »
I grease,  :)

paul

Offline HARODAVE

• Rockwalk
  • the artist formerly known as DAVE3172 !!
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 01:45 PM »
 grease always for me , you`ll thank yourself for greasing , when you come to remove it and it glides out and doesn`t  cause a nightmare and fook up  :daumenhoch:
With Bacofoil and a Battering Ram !

splodge

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 05:36 PM »
When I stripped my Kuw after leaving it in a damp shed for over 10 years the stem slid out like I fitted it yesterday.

Grease.

moley

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 07:43 PM »
Any Metal to metal should be greased!!

It stops creaking too!!   

And use Cod liver oil to grease your brittle bones JD.  I dont want ya snapping in half when ya bail over the pro section at Preston!!  :LolLolLolLol:

PS.   Dont grease ya brake pads or your sidewall of ya rims!!    I'll do that for ya at Preston when ya aint lookin'!!  :D

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 08:45 PM »
Grease always,     just a little tip if anyones interested polish the two surfaces on the wedge bit,usefull if the shaft is not chrome, or  if its one of those cast wedges, usual polish tech, wet dry autosol, buffer etc, been doing this since bitd,  i find the stem wiil tighten up a lot more, with less effort, sounds dumb, but,you can get allen key bolts real tight without putting a hole in your hand, it'll release easier to,   :daumenhoch:

JD_76

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 10:21 PM »
Any Metal to metal should be greased!!

It stops creaking too!!   

And use Cod liver oil to grease your brittle bones JD.  I dont want ya snapping in half when ya bail over the pro section at Preston!!  :LolLolLolLol:

PS.   Dont grease ya brake pads or your sidewall of ya rims!!    I'll do that for ya at Preston when ya aint lookin'!!  :D

Thanks for the replies, grease it is then.

Thats it Moley, your going down son.  :)

Pro section - the only Pro section ill be jumping is the one behind the starters hut under the red light  ;D

Just perfecting the bike ready for preston, this is one of the little things that has raised its head, along with a rear hub bairing that came loose. More shakedown testing this weekend.

New Hyper so far - Love to Pickle for the F/F seat and headset as well as all the other peeps I got bits from  :smitten:

moley

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 11:32 PM »
Ooooohh!!   It will be a shame to scuff that when you have MOMENT over the pro section!!!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 06:42 AM »
Now that is a roight noice boike.
I'm feeling it.  :daumenhoch:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Stem wedge - Dry or Grease?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx