gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 01:16 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  tips on rattle can spraying?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: tips on rattle can spraying?  (Read 1312 times)

djgivvinup

tips on rattle can spraying?
« on: September 25, 2009, 08:08 PM »
I'm thinking of rattle canning my hot heart, its gonna be a rider & i wanna do it as cheap as possible, anyone got any tips for a decent finish?  :daumenhoch:

Offline rollin72

• 900 Air
  • I was a ninja
  • Rated:
Re: tips on rattle can spraying?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 08:13 PM »
for what itll cost in primer and your top coat itll probably be cheaper to get it powdered and less hassle

bmxbob

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 08:22 PM »
PREPARATION  ;)

primer

paint

top coat / lacquer

oh and take your time, paint it indoors and take your time. did i say take your time?

:daumenhoch:

sid1972

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 08:49 PM »
get it powdered fella,

you are less likely to be unhappy with the results... you maybe suprised at how much rattle cans and all the celt costs, to do a decent job at home.

bmxbob

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 08:58 PM »
dremel and an ET powder job  ;)

djgivvinup

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 09:07 PM »
cheers for the replies fella's, perhaps i'll have to bite the bullet & get it powdered  :-\ i never was that good a rattle canning bitd.

I don't wanna dremel it & turn it into an et, it seems like there are more et's than hot hearts these days, plus i like the little heart shape in the gusset  :LolLolLolLol:

ozone

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 10:05 PM »
cheers for the replies fella's, perhaps i'll have to bite the bullet & get it powdered  :-\ i never was that good a rattle canning bitd.

I don't wanna dremel it & turn it into an et, it seems like there are more et's than hot hearts these days, plus i like the little heart shape in the gusset  :LolLolLolLol:

Did you see Eamonn's blue and white Hot Heart?  That bike was awesome - looked sweet with gold components, might have been powdered by FHM reader but I could be wrong :-\  Red and white is great but other colours look cool, someone on here used to have a black and white one, too. :daumenhoch:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 10:55 PM »
Ask Jonathon (NORTY40) he's a fookin rattle can god  :shocked: :4_17_5:

Totally flat finish smooth as a babies @rse you'd swear it was powder  :daumenhoch:

Me on the other hand............

Only thing I've ever rattle canned was a stem and it was sh!te  :LolLolLolLol:

Doubt I'd ever try a frame  :-X
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

firebird4130

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 11:24 PM »

dannywhiteley

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 11:52 PM »
Lat weekend I stripped and rattle canned an old school Marin mtb.  Fortunately  the matt black finish wasnt too difficult to reproduce and managed with a can of plasticote satin black.  Just take your time before coats and dont lay it on too think in one blast.  Short sharp sprays wins the race.

Offline Dingobmxer

• Founding Fathers
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 01:08 PM »
stick the spray can in hot water before you use it, makes the paint come out a lot smoother  :daumenhoch:

:) DINGO :)

djgivvinup

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 05:07 PM »
thanks again for all the replies guys,some ver useful tips here  :daumenhoch:
i'm thinking what i might do is have a go at doing the primer, if i tits that up then it'll get powdered  :LolLolLolLol:

sid1972

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 05:32 PM »
that's the easy bit fella, because it drys so quick... if the worse comes to the worse and the topcoat is to thick and a bit like orange peel, you can colour sand that back with wet and dry and then compound it up.

It is all about the prep, make sure you get something like: panel wipe, tac wrags etc, to clean the frame off before primer and again once you have flat the primer.

Try and go to a paint supplier, most of them will mix paint and put it in rattle cans and it's by far a lot better than those u buy of the shelves, (less likely to spit and clog.)

Spray in a warm room as this will help the paint dry and its less likely to run, if you are careful u will get a buzz out of doing the job yourselve.

Have fun I say.  :daumenhoch:  Always powder it, if is shxt!  ;D

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 06:10 PM »
Ask Jonathon (NORTY40) he's a fookin rattle can god  :shocked: :4_17_5:

Totally flat finish smooth as a babies @rse you'd swear it was powder  :daumenhoch:

Thanks for that John  :LolLolLolLol:   ;)        .................................................. now when did you want to drop that frame off  ::)  :D

First of all ' Strikey' what i would say is if it is going to be a rider i would recommend getting it powder coated as it is alot more durable and will resist everyday knocks and scrapes a lot better  ;)

If you want to have a go at Rattle canning it and it sounds like you fancy having a bash  :daumenhoch: this is what i do :

The intial preparation work is the most important , if it's a chrome frame it needs roughing up slightly so the paint will key to it.  If it's a painted frame you can either strip it back ( Nitromors etc) or if it is in decent condition just flat it down with 800's wet and dry.  On really bad condition frames you may have to use a coarser grade of wet and dry. Once you are happy with that you can fill any big dents/dings with car body filler , dont go overboard though  :D  Go over the whole frame with some 1200's wet and dry .

Once you are happy with the prep work give the frame a wipe down with some thinners or panel wipe on  a lint free cloth.

Ready for primer , like Dingo says put the can in a jug of hot water , taking it out to give it a good shake for 2mins or so then back in the water until you are ready to spray. It is worth using an etch or high build primer as this will fill any minor imperfections in the frame .

The trick is not to apply too much paint all in one go. Start with a light dusting gradually building up the paint . Concentrate on the complicated area's first like the bottom bracket,rear brake bridge and seatpost area then do the main tubes. Always keep the spray head depressed and move in a sweeping motion across the frame as i find short burst's of the spray head lead to too much paint being applied in one area at one time ( runs and sags  :'( )   Once you are happy the frame is completely covered , i usually do 3/4 coats , flat it all down again with some fine wet and dry (1200's or finer )

Top coat ,  once again the golden rule is less is more , don't apply too much paint at any one time . Build up the layers and let the paint dry slightly in between coats . I normally do 4 coats .

Once you are happy with the overall coverage and colour , flat it all down again with some very fine wet and dry ( keep the paper wet ) and then wipe down and use a cutting compound or T'cut to really bring the colour out and get that ' smooth as a babies arse ' feel John so kindly refered to  :D ;)

Hope this helps mate , if you have any questions feel free to send me a PM.  :daumenhoch:  I probably have missed something but I am fed up of typing now  :D ;D

Good luck and get some pics up  ;)  A  before , during and after ongoing hot heart resto thread  :daumenhoch:

or just get it powdered  :LolLolLolLol:
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 08:06 PM »

Thanks for that John  :LolLolLolLol:   ;)        .................................................. now when did you want to drop that frame off  ::)  :D

Yiiipeeeee !  :)

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 09:07 PM »

That goose is going to look lovely in factory BURNER TEAM COLOURS   :LolLolLolLol:   :D  ;)
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 12:50 AM »

That goose is going to look lovely in factory BURNER TEAM COLOURS   :LolLolLolLol:   :D  ;)

:knuppel2:

Right that's it I'm not letting you paint it now  :yahoo_silent:

And i'm selling that stem  :P

:LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  tips on rattle can spraying?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx