gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 09:16 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  3 piece cranks fitting help please
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 3 piece cranks fitting help please  (Read 1267 times)

motomagII

3 piece cranks fitting help please
« on: September 29, 2009, 07:17 PM »
right im used to sealed bb 3 piece cranks with the pinch bolt so basics are there.just got set off generalee and fitted them but the are non pinch style.
bb fitted in axle slid thru ,spacers fitted so arms are even spaced either side and chain runs perfect in centre of the chainring and freewheel.
prob ive got is i tighten the arms up nice and tight and as i do this the arms/bottom bracket bearings get tight to spin.so i have to just undo the arms a tad to loosen the bearings again.what have i done wrong guys please

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: 3 piece cranks fitting help please
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 07:38 PM »
did you put the sleave over the axel insode the BB?  If so it sounds like it's a tad small and not stopping you from nipping the bearings a bit......just losen em off a tad and it will be okay.....but a larger sleave would be better.

moley

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 07:58 PM »
Next time place your cups, spindle, bearing and spacer underneath the BB shell to see if it fits (pretend like its built up)

Spacers can vary by a few mm's.   I have had 4 different sized Profile spacers.   I think 2 of them had been filed down to fit particular BB but they dont look it!!

If there is a gap then you need to space it out even if its a small gap.

Stick a thin washer next to the spindle spacer to space it out a tad (if you haven't got a longer Spacer).   :daumenhoch:

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 09:25 PM »
sounds like the spacer is too short so your loading the bearings when you tighten.
the size off the spacer is critical. btw your crank bits were posted today :daumenhoch:

motomagII

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 05:37 PM »
tried then without the spacer in .bits turned up today spacer tube fitted and all is good in the world again .ps had one washer in there too just to get the length right and they are fine set cranks .thanks for the help guys .

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 05:44 PM »
let me know if you want to sell those fusion cranks in the future Greg....give ya what you paid for em  :daumenhoch:

motomagII

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 06:06 PM »
i got em because my other cranks the bb was getting tiny bit tyred these are nicey nice arms .wont be after i ride em thru the winter series though .would have preferred a set primo powerbites etc but these were good price and quality too .perfect era for the frameset also

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  3 piece cranks fitting help please

gfxgfx
gfx gfx