gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 07:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  New pump track in Cornwall
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: New pump track in Cornwall  (Read 887 times)

Offline Humps00

• Look Back
  • Rated:
New pump track in Cornwall
« on: September 17, 2009, 10:04 AM »
Thought I'd share this with you as I'm rather proud of the achievement of this little project that Matt undertook which has been achieved with no budget and a lot of goodwill.  This is the Press Release I've sent to the local papers:

"Student project for BMX Club a great success

When 1st year Civil Engineering student Matt Humphrey from Carnon Downs was tasked to complete a project during his summer recess, he decided to do something with an engineering slant which would be a benefit to others.  After running his idea past the committee of Cornwall BMX Club and gaining their approval, he drew up his plans for a ‘pump track’ on a wasteland corner of their facility at Blackwater.  A ‘pump track’ is a small circuit of jumps and turns designed to give riders the opportunity to improve their riding skills without pedalling, ie. pumping their way around using upper body movement; an essential skill in BMX racing.  Armed with a small mini-digger (kindly loaned by liquid waste haulier and disposal contractor Clear-flow Ltd of Bissoe) for the first four days, Matt and a group of the Club’s young volunteers set about clearing the land which involved breaking large sections of spoil from an old railway embankment on which part of the current BMX track complex is built.  After ten days of continuous attendance on site and much manual labour, digging and barrowing spoil to form the jumps and berms, the top surface was finally laid and the fruits of their labour were able to be appreciated.  The facility will be used as part of the Club’s training programme for riders and the two main circuits will be ridden by riders of all abilities.  The pump track has been opened for a week and feedback has been very positive indeed.  Riders are striving to achieve full rotation of the circuit without pedalling and as their expertise builds they are attempting multiple circuits and jumping some of the bumps as well.  Armed with a portfolio of images to put into his project report, Matt returns to Exeter University in October where he recommences his studies towards a Masters Degree in Civil Engineering and hopes that he will be adopted and sponsored by one of the major engineering companies to defray some of his loan and accommodation fees.  Details of Cornwall BMX Club’s opening times can be found on their website at www.cornwallbmx.co.uk "

Here's a picture of the pump track with the main BMX track in the background.  If you're down in the area sometime then look us up and come ride it:

What do you reckon??  Could you get your pump on??  Humps

Offline Dex Dexter

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: New pump track in Cornwall
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 10:41 AM »
Alan that looks mint.

I love pump tracks.  Haven't ridden enough but if I'm ever down there I will for sure.

Looks really good - get some You tube vids up of people sessioning it!

telelogic

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 11:04 AM »
that looks fab!

quite an achievement, well done :daumenhoch:

part time

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 11:07 AM »
It does indeed look brilliant, me and the young un will be sure to hit it up next time we're down west!

Offline HARODAVE

• Rockwalk
  • the artist formerly known as DAVE3172 !!
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 11:11 AM »
that looks superb! :4_17_5:

well done to all involved !
With Bacofoil and a Battering Ram !

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 11:41 AM »
Coooooool , looks great  ;)

JD_76

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 11:50 AM »
I think thats a great idea to have a main track and a pump track together, it will allow the younger or novice riders to improve their essential basic skills before attacking the main track.

Great effort  :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 01:13 PM »
Great stuff Humps, hope he gets a good grade for it  :4_17_5:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 07:12 PM »
Blimey.thats going it some.i was down there 7th of last month and there was nothing there in the corner at all.nice work to all concerned.

Matt428

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 10:57 PM »
Blimey.thats going it some.i was down there 7th of last month and there was nothing there in the corner at all.nice work to all concerned.

10 Days start to finish, with the only mechanical help being a micro digger for four days!!

Alan that looks mint.

I love pump tracks.  Haven't ridden enough but if I'm ever down there I will for sure.

Looks really good - get some You tube vids up of people sessioning it!

Short clip of it being ridden here.  I'll have to admit it is rather challenging and kinda tricky to ride but it will hopefully raise the level of the riders at the club.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/99637/ (new section up top was topped in the dry so is the equivalent of riding in sand at the moment.)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 10:59 PM by Matt428 »

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 11:09 PM »
how sweet does that look - back to the old days of just feeling being one with the bike  8) feel the flow  ;)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  New pump track in Cornwall

gfxgfx
gfx gfx