gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 03, 2024, 07:31 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Strange day, been thinking, collecting what's the point?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Strange day, been thinking, collecting what's the point?  (Read 1001 times)

sid1972

Strange day, been thinking, collecting what's the point?
« on: September 01, 2009, 07:51 PM »
not been back into BMX for long, and I only have a couple of bikes in my basement, and I love looking at them. But today I have been thinking- what's it all about!

Redline 1985 MP20 - nearly finished.

GT pro from BITD, with a few NOS bits.

I am hoping the notion will pass, because I have loved the building, tracking parts and the wonderful world of Rad.

Anyone else experience this 'whats the point type mood'?

:daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:55 PM by sid1972 »

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Strange day, been thinking, collecting what's the point?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 07:58 PM »
For me it turned from what's the point into what's the point if i don't have a ride even if it's round the park with the kids. So from now on that's my aim and it makes it a little easier to condone in my mind. I know what you mean though :coolsmiley: :coolsmiley:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 08:01 PM »
i've been through that a dozen times....  whats the point,  some hobbies involve collecting, and to me this is one of them, when you stop collecting the hobbie fades...
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Offline bodamus

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 08:18 PM »
No bloody point at all mate :idiot2:

sid1972

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 08:21 PM »
No bloody point at all mate :idiot2:

Thanks Guys...  :LolLolLolLol:   ESP:  AKA Dave!

Ebay CALLING!!! ;D

Offline DIRTBIKER250F

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Home sweet home
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 08:22 PM »
Hmmm, a few months ago i thought there fooking kids bikes, i had sold everything and that was it.......roll on a few months and nothing coming through the door, not checking ebay, not checking fore sale sections and not really bothered......I see one bike, i watch it on ebay for 5 days and then i buy it, and now im happy, now im searching sale's threads, now im barttering and all is well again.
Its not the bikes...........the bikes are a result of the real hobbie, the CHASE  :smitten:

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 08:33 PM »
Hmmm, a few months ago i thought there fooking kids bikes, i had sold everything and that was it.......roll on a few months and nothing coming through the door, not checking ebay, not checking fore sale sections and not really bothered......I see one bike, i watch it on ebay for 5 days and then i buy it, and now im happy, now im searching sale's threads, now im barttering and all is well again.
Its not the bikes...........the bikes are a result of the real hobbie, the CHASE  :smitten:

you've hit the nail on the head right there mate. its all about the thrill of the chase 8) and hey some people get excited at collectin stamps  :LolLolLolLol: each to our own i say. bring on the 25yr old dia compe and tuf neck goodies :smitten: :smitten:

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 08:44 PM »
Yep I believe the chase is the root of my Probs 2  :D

the_wheelie_king

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 09:08 PM »
For me it's all about the chase too, but the bit I really love is during a rebuild of a new ride when you're turning it into your own and going through that stage of choosing all the colours and bits. I love this time because whenever I'm bored I can spend hours trying to visualize what I'm going to end up with, and then there's the fun of buying all the bits and hanging it all together. It keeps me occupied and I like having something to think about. I tend to get bored when a project is finished, which is when I tend to start thinking what's the point of it all...

...If I'm being honest, for me the building is 0.01% more fun than the riding  :-\

Offline jimmyp

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 09:14 PM »
Been feeling the same way also latley  :wtf:

sid1972

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 09:59 PM »

yep -  :wtf:

sad day,  :'( - hopefully tomorrow I will be up for the chase!

jackel

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 10:03 PM »

yep -  :wtf:

sad day,  :'( - hopefully tomorrow I will be up for the chase!
i decided no more
but you always fold i just have lol

trasher

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 10:37 PM »
i sometimes feel it ,,,,i like to look at my bikes ,thinking that they are proballly the only one of there kind out there  :smitten:

its the chasing the parts ,,getting the parcels ,and building for me ,,,then i sometimes think wtf is that all about :uglystupid2: ,,to try and make me feel less guilty about buying ,,i just remind myself they are all investments  :2funny:

sid1972

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 10:43 PM »
i sometimes feel it ,,,,i like to look at my bikes ,thinking that they are proballly the only one of there kind out there  :smitten:

its the chasing the parts ,,getting the parcels ,and building for me ,,,then i sometimes think wtf is that all about :uglystupid2: ,,to try and make me feel less guilty about buying ,,i just remind myself they are all investments  :2funny:

I look at my 2 and I love the lines, the details (the welds etc) and they seem to sing... but then reality bites and I just think, feck your 37... and today has been strange because I have thought feck it get em sold!

synergy1968

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 12:23 AM »
For me its the fact that i have just started collecting bits and bobs and how im going to explain to the wife that in the last 5 days its cost me ? around £1000 , shit . :knuppel2: :tickedoff:
And i have just bought some more bits 2nt ... o dear.. the post man has been told to hide um in the garden .... :LolLolLolLol:

telelogic

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 07:27 AM »
I only build to ride, just like bitd.

I have absolutely no problem with anyone building carpet queens. But I know I'd feel guilty about the spend if there was only "art" when they're done. (not that there is anything wrong with art!) the bikes Are beautiful though! I had my performer in the house when I was putting it together and I just kept staring at it! weeks of just being drawn to it! But the more I looked, the more I wanted to get it finished so I could ride it :D

the only real "Point" I guess, is to enjoy your hobby, whatever it is. If you stop enjoying it, stop doing it! Got knows we all have enough crap in our lives that we don't like and have to do!

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 07:46 AM »
as above ^^^   i find when these feelings come round (which they do every so often) just get out on your rider and it fits into place!  sometimes you may rush a build to finish it?  try rebuilding from the ground up and changing bits?  sell stuff you don't need/use and start a fresh  :daumenhoch:

normally the feelings pass and the hobbie/feeling from BMX comes back and then some! 

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 08:27 AM »
Its a tricky one this , as I love the finished piece of a bike ive searched the world for parts for, but with the constant to-ing and fro-ing in my mind as to whether I keeo my bike or not, the side of me that thinks ' sell em' has taken over, so that's what Im going to do . I have 6 bikes left, all S&m1" , and they will all be gone by christmas. im actually excited about selling them off!

firebird4130

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 08:38 AM »
I sometimes buy frames I've owned and regret selling or wanted and never got etc, It's like therapy seeing them setting them up, then I can sell them on again. The one bike I'll always keep is my 1" dirtbike

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 09:38 AM »
i have escaped (moved on from) the collecting for "ownership" thing, i searched for loads of bit initially that i always liked, then looked at em n thought , whats the point? iv'e sold every bit im never gonna use and i now buy to build n ride, much more satisfaction n merriment to be had, i still look for nice bits, but now its more consumables, tyres, grips, chainrings etc. i have one bike i don't ride (my GHP) and altho it was my BITD bike, i keep dithering whether to sell it or not as its not gettin used, get em thrashed n enjoy it :daumenhoch:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 11:51 AM »
Seems a lot of us are feeling the same on here at the moment than fellas. Got to admit, I've not had the chance to ride a single one of my bikes since MK, and before MK I can probably count on one hand how many times this year my bikes have been out for a spin.

I've even given all my spare bits to my bruv to try and finish his bikes, but with newly arrived kids, jobs, moving house and crap weather, we just haven't had time to touch them and they're all in a heap in my garage exactly how they came out the the Renault "big blue Tardis" at MK ("Jonnygoose" Bobafett still couldn't believe how we got all that gazeebo and contents into one van!)  :2funny:

When we've got a workshop set up again and have a few hours here ant there, I'm sure we'll finish his bikes, but then what will we do? I've built all the bikes I've wanted to (with the exception of a GT Performer) and kept the last 6 I wanted to, so I'm gonna have to wait until my daughter is old enough to go out riding BMX again by the looks of things.

Doesn't stop me looking at my Pro-Class everytime I'm in the garage mind...... :smitten:

Spen
Still limping......

bigsman

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 02:04 PM »
It's exciting waiting for bits to arrive in the post and then putting them together and admiring or occasionally riding the bike but for me its all about the restoring now.  The most enjoyable part of it all for me is taking something tatty or half knackered and spending as long as it takes bringing it back to life again.  Some stuff takes yonks and does my nut in but when I don't have a bit that needs work I just feel bored and the actual assembly of NOS or perfect bits isn't that challenging. 

probably just me like but hey  :LolLolLolLol:

sid1972

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 04:39 PM »
bloody hell guys,

I did not expect this many posts, thank-you... least I am not the only one that feels like this.

I think however, It maybe because I am ready for another build!  ;D

With my 'mini' nearly done, no packages due to arrive, I am having withdrawals me thinks...  :2funny:

:daumenhoch:

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 06:04 PM »
i agree with the chase thing, i used to love finding the bikes in holland that were just sold as old bikes. i had 45+ of the things at one point. now i have about 20 left and ton's of bits. i like a few of them but the rest is just stuff that takes up room. collecting is nice, having a collection is kinda boring. chop and change to keep it interesting. the interest comes and goes a bit. got my first oldschooler in september 99 at a car boot sale, ten years later i'm happy i've had the bikes, but i still need to loose another 15 for sure. but saying that, there are still 4 or 5 bikes at least, i'd still love to own in the future.
ding dong

dannywhiteley

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2009, 06:18 PM »
Abut 2 months ago I finished my Rebel Freestyler, and I basically forced myself to stop searching on here and ebay for parts.  My TA, Quadangle and Rebel just live in my shed, hung on the wall, but I cant bring myself to sell them cos I love looking at them.

I have just bought a pair of Oakley F1's for the quad to replace the copy B1B's on it at the moment. Got to be careful not to start up buying again, but its not helped that my bro is just building his first bike (a Reflex) and I have been looking for parts for him.

I may from time to time upgrade the odd part but not going to start a new bike from scratch again.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 06:23 PM by dannywhiteley »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Strange day, been thinking, collecting what's the point?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx