gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 06:24 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Chain width
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Chain width  (Read 856 times)

fmx

Chain width
« on: September 02, 2009, 06:02 PM »
Guys, more advice please for a novice.

Just bought a 17t shimano freewheel for my first build, with a 43t Chainring. On the box for my freewheel it states usable with 1/8" or 3/32". What is the deciding factor when choosing size, or does it not make much difference?  Also what are the chances of a newly bought chain fitting straight onto the bike without removing any links?

Paddy

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
Re: Chain width
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 06:11 PM »
if they fit then it's ok, but some chainrings will only fit 1/8 chains. very rare that a new chain is the right length for old school stuff.
ding dong

moley

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 07:16 PM »
What are you using your bike for?

Show N Shine or Riding?

If riding..............are you gonna race it?

17t & 43t is quite low geared for racing.   Probably more suited to freestyle!!

Also have you a 20" or 24" because that would make a huge difference too!!

Whats your F+F?

fmx

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 07:38 PM »
Moley,

The bike is an 83 Mongoose expert. I'm going to keep it for a while then probably sell it on. I won't be racing on it.

Paddy

nosepickben

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 10:00 PM »
yeah 43/17 will be on the easy side. 1/8 is the norm for chain width, 3/32 is obviously narrower and substantially weaker, you tend to only see "high-end" chains and parts in 3/32 in my experience.  You will definitely have to set the chain length if the chain is fresh out the bag, it's a piece of piss to do it tho, if you've never done it before then go buy a proper link extracting tool (you'll use it again + again so it's worth a few quid in the long run) and ask the guy in the bike shop how to do it, just don't push the pin all the way out or you will have a 'mare trying to get it back in. If that does happen by accident then it's better to replace a whole section ie a link either side to save piss arsing around replacing a pin. hope this is some help   :)

fmx

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 10:59 PM »
Thanks once again guys  that's another question answered, stand by for the next one.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Chain width

gfxgfx
gfx gfx