gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 03, 2024, 10:20 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Ordering from the USA
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Ordering from the USA  (Read 602 times)

kevin rettie

Ordering from the USA
« on: August 30, 2009, 01:32 PM »
I've seen something I fancy on the coloured tuffs website, anyone used them before?

Whats the deal with customs/duty?

Cheers

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Ordering from the USA
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 01:39 PM »
Ed can be slow sometimes, postage can be high but he is generally good at getting stuff through customs with low value or marked as gift.  I've ordered before and had no probs but others have had slow delivery  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

cherrypicker

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 01:44 PM »
Yup, i've had loads off him, only been stung twice for import duty  ;)

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 05:03 PM »
getting harder now though to get things through without getting stung on customs taxes and handling fee :'(

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 06:20 PM »
theyve clamped right down on everything now,i got stung on duty on a set of decals!!bummer!! :'(
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

kevin rettie

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 07:32 PM »
how do they work out the duty?

Is it a %age of the value of the goods?

Offline bodamus

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 08:28 PM »
Weird lately been lucky I got all the expensive items through customs with no charges even though they were marked up with their actual values.

Then had to pay customs charges on a pair of Grips that were marked up at $43 had to pay £11.92 customs charges £8.00 of that was a handling charge from Royal Mail :tickedoff:

I think it's just luck a lot of time as to wether you get away without paying charges.

bodamus.

moley

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 09:07 PM »
2. Postal Packages imported (arriving) from countries outside the EU
top ^

2.1 Does the sender have to declare the goods?
Yes, under international postal agreements the sender must complete a customs declaration (CN22 or CN23) which in most cases should be fixed to the package. The declaration includes a description of the goods, the value and whether they are gifts or commercial items. Any Post Office abroad should be able to give advice to the sender.

You are legally responsible for the information on the declaration, therefore it is in your own interest to ensure, wherever possible, that the sender abroad makes a complete and accurate declaration. If no declaration is made, or the information is inaccurate, the package may be delayed while we make further enquiries, or in some cases the package and its contents may be seized.

2.2 Do I have to pay import duties and/or import VAT on goods sent to me?
Most goods arriving in the UK from outside the EU are liable to any or all of the following taxes:

customs duty
excise duty
import VAT
and must be paid whether:

you purchase the goods or receive them as a gift
the goods are new or used (including antiques)
the goods are for your private use or for re-sale.

2.3 What are the limits for customs duty and import VAT?
Commercial consignments of £18 or less are free from customs duty and import VAT. For example, goods purchased over the internet with an intrinsic value not exceeding £18, will not be charged any duty or VAT but this does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters, see sections 2.5, 2.6 and 3.
If you are sent a gift with a value of £36 or less, and which complies ,with the rules shown in paragraph 2.4. it will be free from customs duty and import VAT, but this does not include alcohol, tobacco, perfumes and toilet waters.
Customs duty becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £120 but duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £7.
There are a number of other circumstances where relief from some or all customs charges may be available. If you think your goods may be eligible for a relief you should contact the Helpline for further information.

2.4 Gifts
Goods sent as a gift that are over £36 in value are liable to import VAT. Customs duty also becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £120 but is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £7.

To qualify as a gift:

the customs declaration must be completed correctly
the gift must be sent from a private person outside the EU to a private person(s) in this country
there is no commercial or trade element and the gift has not been paid for either directly or indirectly
the gift is of an occasional nature only, for example, for a birthday or anniversary.
Please note if you purchase goods from outside the EU to give as a gift to a relative or friend, whether or not addressed to that person, is treated as a ‘commercial consignment’ for which the import VAT relief threshold is £18 (paragraph 2.3 refers).

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document#P33_2548

kevin rettie

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 11:31 PM »
Thanks moley, it all sounds a bit heavy but I'm going to give it a go.... wish me luck

telelogic

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 09:38 AM »
I have,
it took bloody ages to receive my order!
customs bummed me for £50 on a set of wheels!
communication was poor!
But, I did know all this when I ordered.
I made sure that I didn't have any chance of getting what I wanted in the UK before I ordered.
so it was either change my mind on witch part I was going to use, or take the pain.
Sometimes, Pain is the order of the day ;)

moley

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 11:24 AM »
It basically means that you could get charged for anything over £18 for goods or £36 for gift.

I have bought tons of stuff from US Ebay and most items come in without any charges but you'll tend to get charged on anything over $100 if your unlucky.

Most cheaper stuff tends to make it through okay!!

Dont forget that they'll be a handling charge too!!

The £ to $ is better now than it was.  Its still not as good as it was a couple of years ago but it is improving!!

What are you buying Kevin?

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 11:47 AM »
easily 99+% of everything i have bought has come from USebay (over 500 transactions) and have only been hit by customs 5 times, unfortunately the first time was the first time i ordered from the states and it was 2 sets of tuffs from colouredtuffs ::) :LolLolLolLol: . had stuff off him since no probs tho  :daumenhoch: tho occasionally a tad slow. in the long run it deffo pays off buyin from the US, ive had loadsa stuff for peanuts, stoooooopidly low prices, what ya get stung on more than equals itself out on all the shit ya don't, check sellers feedback n in a nutshell, "ya pays ya money n take ya chance"  :daumenhoch:

kevin rettie

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 08:27 PM »
Lookin at a 2007 GHP frame.... niiiice

moanjam

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 08:56 PM »
ed's a very honest dude  :daumenhoch:

ColoredTuffs.com

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 02:37 PM »
Thanks guys!
 I do my best...
 I do have a few 07 GHP's that I put on sale a few days ago....

-Ed

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Ordering from the USA

gfxgfx
gfx gfx