gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975757 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 26, 2024, 11:56 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Headset and Bottom Bracket advice for GT restoration.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Headset and Bottom Bracket advice for GT restoration.  (Read 880 times)

Rodgy1970

Headset and Bottom Bracket advice for GT restoration.
« on: August 27, 2009, 01:19 AM »
Currently restoring a1983 GT Pro that I've had from about 1984, two of my brothers rode the bike after me and stuff has been changed, I'm trying to put it back as close as possible to the way I had it.

Can't remember what headset I had, think I started with a tange MX2 and then think I upgraded it for a beartrap 2, does this sound right for 1984?

Is the beartrap 2 a better headset anyway?

Also is a BMX BB also referred to as an American style BB?

Whats left of my memory is somewhat fuzzy.

Cheers

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Headset and Bottom Bracket advice for GT restoration.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 02:41 PM »
Should really be in Tech and Resto, this post...

MX2 was the predecessor to the BearTrap 2, good headset with a slightly higher stack height than the MX2 due to the splined washers to keep it all sung and tight and both era correct for 84.  Usually a BMX BB is referred to as a US or American BB, these use 68mm cups however these days there are many different sizes, Spanish, Mid, Euro and US  :D.  Old school BMX us US BB (pressed in cups) or Euro (smaller diameter with threaded cups)  :daumenhoch:.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Rodgy1970

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 03:02 PM »

MX2 was the predecessor to the BearTrap 2, good headset with a slightly higher stack height than the MX2 due to the splined washers to keep it all sung and tight and both era correct for 84.  Usually a BMX BB is referred to as a US or American BB, these use 68mm cups however these days there are many different sizes, Spanish, Mid, Euro and US  :D.  Old school BMX us US BB (pressed in cups) or Euro (smaller diameter with threaded cups)  :daumenhoch:.

cheers for your help, sorry will use Tech and Resto the next time.

hmm, so the upshot is that the beartrap 2 is a better headset?

but while i'm here, is a beartrap 220st era correct as well as a mate has one?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 03:08 PM by Rodgy1970 »

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 03:17 PM »

cheers for your help, sorry will use Tech and Resto the next time.

hmm, so the upshot is that the beartrap 2 is a better headset?

but while i'm here, is a beartrap 220st era correct as well as a mate has one?

Beartrap 2 is comparable and pretty much the same as the MX2 with maybe better ability to stay tight (cerrated washers), it's a great a steel headset with excellent reliability and good looks  :daumenhoch:

Not heard of 220st though but it could be known under a different name...

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Rodgy1970

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 03:37 PM »
cheers again

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Headset and Bottom Bracket advice for GT restoration.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx