gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 12:23 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Pro Class - Black Chrome
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Pro Class - Black Chrome  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Pro Class - Black Chrome
« on: March 05, 2006, 07:23 PM »
Is it possible to get the Pro Class restored with black chrome and if so . . . any recommendations  ???

The original coating on this one looks like a mosaic and there are signs of rust and pitting . . . but nothing major

These will need black chroming too

I have tried my local chromers and they weren't interested so any help will be much appreciated

Cheers guys

Steve  :daumenhoch:

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Pro Class - Black Chrome
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 07:29 PM »
everybodys gone mongoose mad. where they all coming from lol.
dave the bmxing gypo

gmac

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 07:31 PM »
Pretty sure the chromers I use will be able to sort that lot out Steve. They've done some unique finishes for me.

You may be better off just giving the frame to me though, to save you the hassle  ;)

Jazzchimp

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 07:39 PM »
nice handbag ;)

retrogeezer

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 08:05 PM »
sweet bike - where'd that come from???

matt

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 09:44 PM »
i looked around to get my pro class black chromed, in the us it is quite common in the car industry but in the uk i couldnt find anyone, the closest place i could find to do it right was norway !  i  have another frame set that needs it so i will be trying again soon. the db finish is not black chrome it is normal show chrome with a laquer over the top.
let me know if you sort anything out

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 10:15 PM »
Did the DB Turbo cranks have some sort of smoked lacquer over the chrome like the stuff used to black out rear car lamps for example

The Pro Class looks chrome under the black top coat and can be picked off quite easily where it's cracking

Was a simliar coating process used like with the cranks ??

Cheers

gmac

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 10:28 PM »
I had some parts black chromed on my LC motorbike, so it's definately available in the UK.

I'll dig out the number of the firm I used for my last batch of stuff tomorrow  :daumenhoch:

Flaz

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 10:38 PM »
bit of a long shot but im sure theres a firm in braintree in essex what does smoked chrome

matt

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 10:50 PM »
the guy pkradman uses has got the colour match for the db stuff, i have had a nos turbo lite and a re coated turbo and the colour was real close

Offline danny silverstreak

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 10:52 PM »
the guy pkradman uses has got the colour match for the db stuff, i have had a nos turbo lite and a re coated turbo and the colour was real close

i have had two sets of bars painted by lee (pk radman) on my leary turbo and my turbolite , very very good , if lee,s got the time to do it , he,s ya man :daumenhoch:

matt

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 10:58 PM »
guy have you any pics of the chroming they have done for you ?

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006, 11:04 PM »
i have had two sets of bars painted by lee (pk radman) on my leary turbo and my turbolite , very very good , if lee,s got the time to do it , he,s ya man :daumenhoch:

So neither the Pro Class or Turbo cranks were finished in black chrome then . . . just lacquered chrome  :-\

This could be a simple renovation though black chrome would be preferred

Thanks for all your help so far guys . . . I appreciate it very much

Cheers

Offline pkradman

• Rated:
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2006, 11:14 PM »
correct the turbo is just a clear tinted laquer that needs to be applied on a near perfect chrome base finish ... ive seen a nos smoked proclass and that seems to be the same thing except a different colour tint, on the brown side it appears

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006, 11:23 PM »
correct the turbo is just a clear tinted laquer that needs to be applied on a near perfect chrome base finish ... ive seen a nos smoked proclass and that seems to be the same thing except a different colour tint, on the brown side it appears

Thanks Lee  ;)

Think I'll strip the black off the Pro Class 1st to see how the chrome has aged beneath and proceed from there

Nice one . . . thanks for your advice

stuey

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2006, 07:34 AM »
www.aerocoat.net in norfolk do it heres my night burner in black super chrome this is all done with powder (the chrome and the clear black top coat are both powder so no need for rechroming-

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2006, 08:49 AM »
you could leave it chrome,pro class came in chrome as well as black,i bought mine from hot wheels as f&f package  :daumenhoch:
British race frames and race clothing wanted

gmac

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2006, 08:55 AM »
guy have you any pics of the chroming they have done for you ?

I can take some pics of the black chrome on my LC, but to be honest it doesn't really show up well in a pic. There's a depth to the black that you can't see unless you're actually looking at it.

The place I got my BMX parts done did a few frames for me and some copper plating. They're not bad, and were fairly cheap too. I can get some pics of their stuff later if you like.

Frosty

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2006, 09:12 AM »
I recently got a pair of GT black vars and looking at these, they also appear to have a smoke or black finish over a base chrome plate. Does anyone else have some of these bars for a confirmation??

Ta

Paul

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2006, 10:59 AM »
The Pro Class was definately a show chrome finish with a tinted lacquer over the top, I did a lot of research into this with my Pro Class and managed to source a test from the US and the UK which confirms this.

I recreated this on my Pro Class and it is as close to the original as possible.  It looks black but as Lee mentions it has a brown tinge.

Have a look at these pictures you can make out the brown tinge.

Frosty

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2006, 12:34 PM »
Stidds,

Who did you get to do yours, assuming it was restored?

Ohh and what dollar are we looking at?

Cheers

Paul

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2006, 05:45 PM »
Did it myself Paul, the chrome was in superb condition, so I went to a local auto spray manufacturer and told them what I wanted.  They made up a tinted clearcoat and I applied it in very light coats until I had the correct shade, I then applied standard clear lacquer to seal it.

I applied 8 light coats in all and it cost me about £30 for the tinted clearcoat and about £10 for the standard lacquer.

Offline Steve P

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2006, 06:07 PM »
I went to a local auto spray manufacturer and told them what I wanted.  They made up a tinted clearcoat and I applied it in very light coats until I had the correct shade, I then applied standard clear lacquer to seal it.

I applied 8 light coats in all and it cost me about £30 for the tinted clearcoat and about £10 for the standard lacquer.

Looks like the ideal solution to me

The Pro Class will be stripped to see how good the chrome is beneath. Hopefully it'll be good enough to polish up and lacquer

If not . . . I'd like to see pics of the parts you had done in black chrome if that's still OK with you Guy  ;)

Cheers

scary_leary

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2006, 10:58 PM »
Good luck stripping the f/f
mine is a fackin nightmare...cant get the old black chrome off.. nitromors wont touch it >:(

gmac

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2006, 08:49 AM »
Pipes and grabrail on this Steve, but like I said, you can't really see the depth unless you're up close and personal  :daumenhoch:

Cheers

Guy  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Pro Class - Black Chrome

gfxgfx
gfx gfx