gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975632 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 01, 2024, 01:50 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Brake pads that work well on brushed alloy rims?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Brake pads that work well on brushed alloy rims?  (Read 962 times)

J Rolla

Brake pads that work well on brushed alloy rims?
« on: August 20, 2009, 09:58 PM »
In the past I've only really dealt with mags so there has been no issue, but I put together a midschool flatland bike with brushed alloy Alex rims and can't seem to find pads that work well (or even mediocre-ly). I've tried the all black DC pads and some Fibrax ones and both are useless. What's the best out there for these type rims? I ride it daily so don't care about era correctness, just good cheapish ones that are readily available and do the job.

cheers in advance  :daumenhoch:
James

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
Re: Brake pads that work well on brushed alloy rims?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 10:07 PM »
James hi mate, did you try sandpapering them down a bit 1st before installing them? Sometimes that helps.

I would speak with Stodgy for some brake paddage as his got some great stuff and he may know the best ones to use for those rims :)

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 11:44 PM »
clean the rim aswell as the pads with brake and clutch cleaner cleaner then get some clear noisy as feck brake pads

Offline graeme

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 09:45 AM »
I just fitted some of the clear ilegal pads, they are great, but as mentioned, noisy as feck LOL

Acts like a horn though :)

J Rolla

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 10:39 AM »
Cheers guys, do you happen to know if the cheaper "Rad" own brand clear ones work aswell as the Illegal ones?
Don't suppose there's any other types that will work that aren't noisey as feck?  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 11:20 AM »
the RAD ones work a treat!  still noisy but who cares! 

i run em on my new school and they pull your spine out! 

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 11:34 AM »
If you havent already got em, get some linear brake cables for it, makes a big differance...  :daumenhoch:

And what they all said ^^^ clear brake pads... you'll get used to the noise...  :D

J Rolla

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 12:43 PM »
Might give those Rad ones a pop then, will they fit on older style calipers (DC Bulldogs in this case)? The nuts look different and there are a bunch of washers/spacers that I'm not used to.

Linear cables... I run Odyssey Slics on this bike (non-linear), what's the difference with a linear cable?

Cheers for all the help so far  :daumenhoch:

Bettyswallocks

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 12:55 PM »
The outer cable (cover) is differant on a linear cable, it doesnt compress like a non linear cable does when you pull the brake lever, the brake doesnt feel as spongy

I've a dc bulldog caliper on one of my old bikes, the clear pads fit fine, had to bend the quick release arm thingy a touch to clear the bolt on the pad (the bolts on em are longer than the original pads) worked well enough to lock the rear wheel at mk in the rain...  :daumenhoch:

Offline graeme

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 01:07 PM »
The washers are 2 cup spacers, one thick, one thin, these set the distance from the pad to the rim. Put whichever one on the inside fits best, probably thin inside and thick outside.
There are also 2 thin dome washers, tehse go between teh cups and the caliper arm.

Fit them loose, then clamp teh brake shut, then tighten the pad.

These cups let the pad swivel so they shut at the same angle as the rim wall, then they lock at that angle :)

Means you get full pad contact from the start rather than the pad having to wear to the angle of the rim.

J Rolla

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 06:03 PM »
Ah like a tow-in kind of thing - my GT Koolstop pads have a similar thing, just without the spacers. I would only be able to fit a linear cable to the front as I run a gyro, I guess the main bit of rear cable that runs to the caliper could be linear too. Might look into doing that.

Thanks again for the info guys, off to bag some clear noisey as feck pads!

:4_17_5: :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Brake pads that work well on brushed alloy rims?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx