gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 04:34 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  just got some judge2 forks
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: just got some judge2 forks  (Read 3522 times)

Glen

just got some judge2 forks
« on: August 19, 2009, 08:48 PM »
and this is what ive received sadly.  Bent to fook  :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

Ive added thin green lines to indicate where the bends are:

Side view:

Here you can see the steerer is bent.

Front of the steerer tube is smooth as it should be:

Back of the steerer tube is not flat, you can clearly see the bent part:

Here you can see the cracked chrome caused by the bend:

martylaa

Re: just got some judge2 forks
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 08:55 PM »
Glen are these the ones from bmxmuseum?

martylaa

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 08:58 PM »
Fook me thats shocking, the ones on the initial for sale post looked mint, have they been damaged in the post you think or has he sent them like that....

martylaa

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 09:07 PM »
Mate gutted for ya, was really looking forward to seeing your Hutch 2 finished, christ they looked fooking mint on bmxmuseum
hope ya get it sorted glen, ya want me to keep my eyes peeled or did i jinx it  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 09:16 PM »
that totally sucks,hope you get it sorted.i'm looking forward to seeing this done(decals un all)

toys19

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 09:47 PM »
Hmm I think the top pic does not show anything bent, most bmx forks are raked forward. If you can live with this then i reckon a good tube bending outfit should be able to use a mandrel bender to straighten the fork tube. In devon I could recommend a few places, but anywhere that does custom made exhausts or makes exhausts in the uk should have the kit. The only problem is that to set up a mandrel bending machine with the right size mandrel can take a few hrs so you will have to wait until its convenient for them - like when they are next bending that diameter tube....

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 10:05 PM »
Glen,are they Hutch or Hutchins forks?just curious.can't see the dropouts.

Offline graeme

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 10:28 PM »
Hmm I think the top pic does not show anything bent, most bmx forks are raked forward. If you can live with this then i reckon a good tube bending outfit should be able to use a mandrel bender to straighten the fork tube. In devon I could recommend a few places, but anywhere that does custom made exhausts or makes exhausts in the uk should have the kit. The only problem is that to set up a mandrel bending machine with the right size mandrel can take a few hrs so you will have to wait until its convenient for them - like when they are next bending that diameter tube....

They will only have formers for exhaust size pipe, 2", 2.5", 3", maybe bigger.

I was looking for somewhere to mandrel bend some 1.5" exhaust and couldnt find anywhere local. Everyone said the same thing, they only have formers for bigger sizes. You need a different former for every pipe size and formers cost £5000 so they only have them in sizes usualy needed for comon performance exhausts.

Doesnt mean no-where will have the right formers, but i doubt many exhaust places will have that size.

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 10:34 PM »
andy(funmonster) had a set of those knocking around. might still have them, you never know.
once mounted they would be ok anyhow i reckon. if you can get a headset on them then they will be sound enough.
ding dong

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 10:46 PM »
Jeez Glen,they are rare as hens teen last gen Hutchins forks,only made for a short while until the company went pop.Bent or not,id keep em,you'll probably never come across another set of these.if i had the casola i'd offer to buy them from you,as is.

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 10:59 PM »
ride em into a wall that will sort em lol
hope ya get em sorted glen

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 11:05 PM »
if you don't have any luck,give me a shout,i could put you in touch with Andy from Andy Robinson race cars(who repaired fuzzynods Hofmann..sp).i work with fuzzy(Mark) and have seen many frames etc that Andy has repaired via Mark,for peeps on here.Marks Hofmann forks were very twisted,but they were jigged up and straightened back to perfect.have a look at the thread on here(probably tech and resto)

Dave.

toys19

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 07:14 AM »

They will only have formers for exhaust size pipe, 2", 2.5", 3", maybe bigger.

I was looking for somewhere to mandrel bend some 1.5" exhaust and couldnt find anywhere local. Everyone said the same thing, they only have formers for bigger sizes. You need a different former for every pipe size and formers cost £5000 so they only have them in sizes usualy needed for comon performance exhausts.

Doesnt mean no-where will have the right formers, but i doubt many exhaust places will have that size.

Yeah if you go to places that only deal with modern cars you p[robs right, but having worked as the engineering manager in a stainless steel exhaust manufacturers we had mandrels down to 19.05mm (3/4") as lots of classic cars use this size, and we did custom stuff for modern and classic motorcycles. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 07:18 AM by toys19 »

fouronethreeoh!

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 07:37 AM »
It is possible to get things crack tested too, Non Destructive Testing (NDT), we have a dept at work that does this.
Its possible to do steel through chrome too as chrome is porous.

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 07:38 AM »
if you bend them back and used them for a rider they will be very weak and only way to use them for a rider is change the steering tube but major work to make sure they are strong enough to ride on as you got to remember we all weigh more than we did bitd .
if a  show bike i say a wall or heat them up and bend back .
no1stuntmaster on instagram

toys19

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 07:54 AM »
if you bend them back and used them for a rider they will be very weak and only way to use them for a rider is change the steering tube but major work to make sure they are strong enough to ride on as you got to remember we all weigh more than we did bitd .
if a  show bike i say a wall or heat them up and bend back .

Ohh stuntmaster sorry mate I have to disagree with you there...
As long as they don't crack they will be as strong as they were when they were made, maybe stronger. (they should be cold bent )
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 08:13 AM by toys19 »

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 12:38 PM »
i would never ride with a set that had been bent  and glen`s had stress crack lines  and a lot of other people would not either as otherwize we all would have done it bitd instead of new forks . but it not my call   
no1stuntmaster on instagram

toys19

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 02:20 PM »
Mandrel bending does not involve heating. If you get the fork tube mandrel bent to straighten it out, it will be fine no structural weakness, as long as it does not crack. If its just the chrome that's cracked then do not worry about it. Heating it up is not in my suggestion and is not required for bending of 4130/t45/531 or just about any other steel you make a bmx out of. You could probs get the fork legs straightened with a press, but I don't think they are bent anyway. If you want to PM me for more advice and why you can believe that I know what I am talking about then please do so.

If all this worries you, then send them back.

martylaa

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 02:26 PM »
send them back mate if your ganna race it, it'll always play on your mind that they could snap
some more will come along mate

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  just got some judge2 forks

gfxgfx
gfx gfx