gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 07:05 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  thick/thin, thin/thin, thick/thick comp III combos - lets have a chat...........
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: thick/thin, thin/thin, thick/thick comp III combos - lets have a chat...........  (Read 1479 times)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
No real personal reasons for this and it's not to help decide on a set up for a build or anything I just thought it would be interesting to get peoples views.............

Talking strictly comp III pattern only now - no freestyle patterns or old knobblies etc.  ;)

So the classic thick/thin (2.125/1.75) combo is desired by most and some of my builds are that way, however I've grown quite fond of the thin/thin (1.75/1.75) combo when it comes to race bikes with spokes as I think it helps make them look fast n light...........and (dare i say it) i'm even not too put out sometimes by a thick/thick (2.125/2.125) combo with tuffs on certain builds - just make's em look a solid bomb proof build sometimes.

So what's your thoughts ?  ???

Discuss away & vote at the top............

:daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 11:17 PM by bobafett »
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline poolysheriff

• Team Moderator
  • Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
I like 1.75 on the front and 1.50 on the rear sometimes  ;)

But only sometimes  :daumenhoch:

magna13

didnt they have 1.95? ??? thats what i run... 1.95 front, 1.75 rear :)

neiljonarcus

johngoose i must admit i do love a classic combo mate i think its very old school and it just looks right  :-* :-* :-*

GTSantaAna

I prefer 1.75 front & rear, not too thin or thick and gives a nicely balance look, just perfect for me !

Cheers !  :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
any piccies of your bikes Mr SanataAna?   :)

GTSantaAna

Just photographed it !

Skyway TA survivor F/F & Tuffs, the rest NOS, new parts and stripped & recoated Handlebars, i will get rid of the pedals soon cos its new school.

Not perfect but I hope you like it !

Cheers !  :daumenhoch:

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Lovin' that TA. :smitten:

As far as tyres are concerned it always has to be a thin/thin combo for me. I also think it may depend on what combo you had on your first bmx as some prefer fat/thin because it's what they had initially and got used to it.

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
I use thick front and thin rear on some bikes, but I have to admit that I never ran anything but thin/thin bitd so usually lean toward that now when building a bike.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
I like the feel of a fat and thin combo........but to be honest, as soon as i sit on the bike it turns into a fat and fat combo  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
A fat and skinny and skinny and skinny but somehow I can't handle two fatties.  What was the question again?  ;D

Better to crash and burn than fade away

steve Beech TA

BITD i always had fat fat, but i only messed around on street corners and made home made jumps etc. so on my TA fat fat to me brings back the memories and make them look indestructible, but on my hutch i have 1.75 F&B as it looks more classy.

so i suppose it depends on what i am going to build and the reason why i am building it.

cheers steve :daumenhoch:

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
i go 1.50 front and rear,only cos comp 3's in this size are a doddle to get hold of and cheap!!!!Thats me being lazy me thinks!!
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
I like both  ::) Depends on my mood  :2funny: But I'm a grippa nut anyway  :LolLolLolLol: But same difference  :daumenhoch:

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Thin thin for me even though i have the fat thin combo .I think grippas look best on race bikes !
Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep
Jim'll fix it did loads for charity

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
although i used to bitd have a fat and thin.i like to use just 1.75 f + r now. look just right.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline Kaner

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
I reckon it depends on the wheels and I can appreciate either look. I personally prefer the fat-thin combo but Im thinking of trying thin-thin on my next project which will involve the reproduction yellow label Tiogas on black alloy hub skyways. I think it should look quite cool?

magna13

I like both  ::) Depends on my mood  :2funny: But I'm a grippa nut anyway  :LolLolLolLol: But same difference  :daumenhoch:

I notice you like a good grippa :daumenhoch: gotta be a pain in the ass to search for though  :-\

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
177 views and only 18 votes  :shocked: ahh well  ::)
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

mark 2

Here's another one thrown in to the pot, 1.5 on expert size bikes, especially on an aero rim.

SteveD

thin + thin gets my vote - i really dont like the look of fat tyres

Offline Glynnyboy

• Look Back
  • Rated:
fat/thin for me. I never liked the look of a skinny on the front, it always gave a feeling of insecurtiy. Probably one nosedive too many ;D

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
Prefer fat/thin on 20" race bikes , thin/thin on 20" freestyle bikes , fat/thin or thin/thin on 24"  ;) .

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  thick/thin, thin/thin, thick/thick comp III combos - lets have a chat...........

gfxgfx
gfx gfx