gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 03, 2024, 07:20 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Gear Ratios when?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Gear Ratios when?  (Read 425 times)

JD_76

Gear Ratios when?
« on: August 12, 2009, 10:32 PM »
I have a basic understanding of gear ratios, but what I dont know is when to use what ratio in BMX racing.

If 44/16 was the standard, on a mostly downhill track would you go up at the front to 45/16 or stay with 44/16?

What would the preference be on a flat track?

Or is it more about feel and what your used to rather than the track conditions.

Does the steepness of the start hill make a difference?

Any advice would be great. 

Help :-[

magna13

Re: Gear Ratios when?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 10:38 PM »
43/16 is a good all round ratio that most national riders i've spoke to use with 175mm arms :daumenhoch: thats what im running now

moley

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 11:25 PM »
43/16 is a good all round ratio that most national riders i've spoke to use with 175mm arms :daumenhoch: thats what im running now

Yeah but your young and healthy!!

Us old fookers can't spin so quick.   I'm more of a stomper!!  :LolLolLolLol:

Hartlepool is Downhill on the berms!!

So you'll get a lot of speed out of them.  Stick a 45t on it.   The amount of pedalling you'll be doing, you might as well make sure your actually doing summat.

If you have a 43t your legs will be spinning faster then the Road Runner's!!

JT Smooth runs a 45t on every track!!

I ran close to a 45t gear ratio on my cruiser (used to be close to a 43t) at Manchester and it felt way better than spinning a lower gear!!

Just dont go too stupid.   I ran a 47t at Bradford in my first race!!    :D

When in doubt stick to 44t!!  :daumenhoch:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 09:24 AM »
we were kids when we ropde 44/16 which is still the bog standard all round feel good gear but 45/16 is cool for heavier bods n longer legs, short straights n flat tracks usually dictate a smaller gear but no smaller than a 43/16 is required IMO, if ya running 185mm cranks n fit n tall a 46/16 could be the way to go, horses for courses, all my bikes run 45/16, coz im a lazy git n can't be arsed swappin stuff about, altho my elf has a 41/15 at mo, which equates to a 44/16, but im gonna change that soon to a 45/16. god i can waffle :LolLolLolLol:

JD_76

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 09:57 AM »
Thanks Lads, its all good waffle bud  :daumenhoch:

Im stuck between staying with 44/16 or changing up to 45/16 - my cranks are 180's - I think im going to try 45/16 for Hartlepool as Moley says its mostly downhill, will just get a slower start out of the gate.

I just dont have enough experiance to make the decision though, thanks for all the insight.

JD.

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 10:04 AM »
Hartlepool is THE 45/16 track, i run 180s too n it does me for all tracks with the exception of Lytham which is fookin hard work with a bigger gear as its soo fookin short, c-ya at the 'pool :daumenhoch:

moley

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 10:13 AM »
Lytham is different.................its so tiny that any unfit rider can spin around it!!

Are you fit again Daz?   Or still fooked?  ???

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 10:17 AM »
Lytham is different.................its so tiny that any unfit rider can spin around it!!

Are you fit again Daz?   Or still fooked?  ???

im not fit dude, but not as fooked, really dissapointed as i was lookin forward to takin my brain out for this race but i'm gonna have to ride steady  :( i ain't been on my bike yet, so i'm still only guessin i'm gonna be okish to race, but i'm still racin n gonna have fun whatever :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Gear Ratios when?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx