gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 20, 2024, 11:29 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  keep , strip,or powder
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: keep , strip,or powder  (Read 716 times)

trasher

keep , strip,or powder
« on: August 03, 2009, 09:06 PM »
right peeps ,this was my mk09 purchase

its a 1980 diamonback large pro survivor .......i'v been debating what to do

i really want to do it in candy blue with either gold or red components ,,,,it came red or blue with gold ,,or chrome with red or blue components back in the day

would  it not be the done thing to totally strip the chrome ,after surviving all these years ,,,,

its pretty good nick ,,,with a few thin spots
the dropouts are pretty good aswell ,,,the compressions seem to be just in the chrome

i,v had a word with dan and he can powder straight over the chrome ..so it could always be stripped back

oh what to do  :buck2:

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
Re: keep , strip,or powder
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 09:18 PM »
Most would say keep the chrome.... but if you want it Candy Blue.... ya know what ya have too do  ;)

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 09:22 PM »
at least if you powdered over the chrome and you changed your mind..... 8)
does it look any different or have any disadvantages powdering over the chrome rather than stripping it??

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 09:34 PM »
Gotta be chrome for me...always loved the old DB in chrome and black  :coolsmiley:

Offline Robbo

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 09:40 PM »
Chrome Glen  :daumenhoch:

neiljonarcus

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 09:48 PM »
harry leary it   :smitten:  :smitten:  :smitten:  :smitten:  :smitten:  :smitten: 

adeshere

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 11:30 PM »
Nice, tempted to get something similar to do a bmx bandits bike, the red one in the film.

Cheeky to ask, but how much did that F&F set you back ?

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 12:41 AM »

Nice survivor frame  :coolsmiley:  If it were me I'd leave it as is  :daumenhoch:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline sparky

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 08:23 AM »
Glen, chrome is too good to strip, putting it back to original is one option.  :daumenhoch:

How about a translucent Candy apple blue or paint rather than a powder, and gold components would like lovely.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

trasher

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 07:53 PM »
Glen, chrome is too good to strip, putting it back to original is one option.  :daumenhoch:

How about a translucent Candy apple blue or paint rather than a powder, and gold components would like lovely.

mark reckon i,m going to go with the blue over the chrome ,,,i think the way dan does the powder normally when he does the candy colours is the candy over a chrome powder so i think he would just do the candy top coat over the chrome

i fancy the idea of powder which is thicker than paint to hide any of the slight inperfections .like on the drop outs

your red one is the bollox ,,,but just a bit to thin on my frame ,,,,dude i need to get it sorted ,,ill be in touch for some bits soon

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 08:50 PM »
hey glen, i think you can have the best of both worlds here, i'll candy blue it without

keying it it, it will still bond on strong then when your bored of the blue or want a change

it will be stripped back to chrome with no damage :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

trasher

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 09:45 PM »
hey glen, i think you can have the best of both worlds here, i'll candy blue it without

keying it it, it will still bond on strong then when your bored of the blue or want a change

it will be stripped back to chrome with no damage :daumenhoch:

nice one dan ,,,,,,ill bang it in the post this week mate ,,,have a look at when it gets there and let me know what you reckon  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  keep , strip,or powder

gfxgfx
gfx gfx