gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975758 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 12:24 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  N.E BMX - Magra legends
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: N.E BMX - Magra legends  (Read 5190 times)

paulgray

N.E BMX - Magra legends
« on: August 02, 2009, 01:05 AM »
Here's a challenge for all you early 80's riders, can you name these dubious characters whos home track was Margrove Park near Guisborough.

Answers further down.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 03:25 PM by PaulGray - AQL »

keiththompson

Re: N.E BMX - Magra legends
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 08:45 AM »
It was a good night meeting all these lads again after all this time. Swapping pics and stories.  Oops have I put my foot in by naming one of em :P Not that I consider myself a legend. Im sure I have more hair than that.

Just a quick apology. I nipped over the Swan later on. for a swift shandy, intending to come back to the group, but got talking to a neigbour and got offered a lift home without saying goodnight. So sorry lads.

Hope to have another night out like that again. Maybe theres others out there who could join us.

paulgray

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 10:37 AM »
It was a good night meeting all these lads again after all this time. Swapping pics and stories.  Oops have I put my foot in by naming one of em :P Not that I consider myself a legend. Im sure I have more hair than that.

Yes it was a great night, beer, BMX and curry  :daumenhoch:

Right lets name names.

Picture 1 (the oldies)  from left to right:

Keith "Tommy" Thompson, Ayton quarry pioneer, fearless dirt jumper.
Andy Davidson, rode Torker and Diamond Back.
Ian Smith, photographer, had lots of his photos published in early magazines.
Rob Smith, rode Diamond Back and GT.
Jonathan Tucker, rode Diamond Back, Magra 531.
Johnny "rotten" McKinney, rode Diamond Back, Hotshot - Basset.

Picture 2 (the young uns):

Far left - Paul Gray, rode Redline, Boss, GT for Hotshot.
Far right - Alan Batty, rode Diamond Back and Redline.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 03:44 PM by PaulGray - AQL »

paulgray

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 04:04 PM »
Checkout the Margrove Park thread to see some of the guys in action.

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=72839.0

kdubbmx

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 04:42 PM »
Andy Davidson hasnt changed a bit!  ;)

paulgray

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 09:49 PM »
Andy Davidson hasnt changed a bit!  ;)

Where you and Andy team mates when you rode for Torker? He had loads of photos of himself in Torker gear at places like Redditch and Earls Court , it must have been just before I started racing as I remember him riding for Diamond Back.

kdubbmx

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 11:23 PM »
No i only remember him on Diamond Back, the Diamond Back team was huge and they had 2 teams really a northern team and a southern one.

I knew them all really well as the team manager was a real good friend of mine so i hung out with them all a lot.

Never knew Andy to be on Torker?

Johnny Mckinney was in my age group and Jonathan Tucker was the year below, i knew these guys well then too.

baldbmxer

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 10:05 PM »
Geat pics Paul. You're looking well mate.

So many names and legends from NE BMX folklore

paulgray

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 11:10 PM »
No i only remember him on Diamond Back, the Diamond Back team was huge and they had 2 teams really a northern team and a southern one.

I knew them all really well as the team manager was a real good friend of mine so i hung out with them all a lot.

Never knew Andy to be on Torker?

Johnny Mckinney was in my age group and Jonathan Tucker was the year below, i knew these guys well then too.

Tuck and the lads were all on Diamond Back when I started racing which must have been 82/83ish. Andy said he rode for Torker before then and won some big events so I presumed he was on the "factory" team. I was in the year below Tuck racing against local  Diamond Back riders Alan Batty and Andrew Ramsey, Nicky Mathews was top dog back then. I really looked up to all these lads when I started racing so it was nice to see them again. If I'd been a month younger I'd have been an age group lower and wouldn't have had to race Geth untill I turned Pro   :tickedoff: ;D I got to race Tuck a few times but never Andy, Johnny or Rob, would have been fun.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 12:07 AM by PaulGray - AQL »

paulgray

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 11:26 PM »
Geat pics Paul. You're looking well mate.

So many names and legends from NE BMX folklore

Cheers John,

I was feeling well with four pints inside me :daumenhoch: but not so good after another three pints  :daumenhoch: an evil curry  :daumenhoch: and a small Coke  :(, nasty stuff that Coke, knew I shouldn't have touched it  ;)

Are you visiting Hartlepool in on the 16th? I'm thinking of having a look up to watch the OS axe murderers.

kdubbmx

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 11:45 PM »
Andy did do well then and Johnny was fast and Tucker used to give Nicky Matthews a good race, Nicky and i were team-mates as Redline and Kuwahara came throught the same importer.

I still see Nicky from time to time as he lives near where i work.

paulgray

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 10:29 PM »
Kev Heyes was another top rider from Guisborough. Here's a clip of him (from Andy Ruffells excellent YouTube site) doing well at Kelloggs Gateshead in 1984.

/>
And at Wigan, how about interviewing the winner Mr. commentator  :(
/>
Me racing at the Kelloggs a year later.

/>
/>
And more Kev, Tom Lynch was on fire at the Kelloggs.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 08:08 PM by PaulGray - AQL »

keiththompson

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 11:50 PM »
Good video's them :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  N.E BMX - Magra legends

gfxgfx
gfx gfx