gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975764 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 04, 2024, 05:24 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Darrell Young frame sets
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Darrell Young frame sets  (Read 979 times)

Online HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Darrell Young frame sets
« on: August 01, 2009, 08:38 PM »
Following on from the Jim Melton interview,im trying to find out how late the serial numbers go for the DY frame sets.From what Jim told me my DY was in the last batch that came to the UK.I have DY85267 and i know Clint over in New Zealand has DY85262.Does anyone (not just in the UK)have a later one than either of these?Perhaps we can get a DY frame number registry going.

Dave.

baldbmxer

Re: Darrell Young frame sets
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 09:32 PM »
mine is DY84201 if anyone is interested

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 10:23 PM »

BORING

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 10:35 PM »
For me it's the ultimate bmx frame and forks. End of.

lazyboy

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 08:24 AM »
Bang right Zippy :daumenhoch:

Online HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 11:12 AM »
keep em coming.

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 12:37 PM »

it's an overhyped, silly named, nothing special frameset at best. Jmc's are nicely made, but to look at, the earlier stuff is way prettier. It's become a kind of label snobbery thing in the old school scene, along with all that vdc tat and the andy patterson too. Most exspensive does not mean best and rarest does not mean best. This scene has turned upside down over the many years we've been busy. Not one of those vdc's are nice to look at, the freestyler being an abortion of a thing. But as the price went up, it became more desirable :uglystupid2: and that's the shit side of old school. New people come into the scene and immediately put these bikes on a pedastal due to the price and rareity. 90% of peeps had never heard of or seen most of these before getting into this hobby. How a AP or darryl young or changa can be thought of as better than a TA or a trick star is beyond me. Only in the last few years have the prices of these rarity's shot through the roof. The bikes you rode, the bikes you wanted as a kid, the bike you mate had when you had a burner/murray/piranha etc, that you wish you mum and dad would buy you, those are the best old school bikes by a country mile. Not vdc's with aerospeed cranks and son-lite hubs and andy bloody patterson bars ans so on. Stay true to yourself and what you knew and loved and you will get much more reward out of this hobby. Don't try and impress everybody else by trying to show off, buying the dearest frameset you can get. Just buy what you really like and build it the way YOU like it. It's not a competition.

right. rant over :LolLolLolLol:
 :rant:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 12:40 PM by J.T.Racing »
ding dong

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 01:15 PM »
i like showing off.

so feck off. ;D

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 01:38 PM »
Bloody hell Mr Townshend

that  philosophy of the bikes that kids saw as true icons , is what is in my head as the bikes to own

that's why my collection only has these now and no others

All complete

PK Ripper looptail

81 Supergoose

Haro Freestyler Gen 1

Skyway T/A XL

Diamond Back Harry Leary Turbo ( awaiting repaint )

The true icons of 80's Race , Freestyle and Street   :4_17_5: :4_17_5: :4_17_5: IMHO

Would've loved to have a Hutch though  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Zippy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 02:12 PM »
Back in the days of my youth I was into racing and always liked the look of the JMC DY's. A mate had one and it looked like it was going flat out when stood still.

Never heard of a VDC when I was younger and they mean nothing to me now either.

For me I couldn't give a monkeies how much something costs, it isn't important to me. If I like it then I like it regardless of whether it's 'in' or not.

I like Burners as well, and they're definetely not in either.  :LolLolLolLol:

However to qualify my earlier statement I'll also say that to me Ultimate means more than just how much it costs and how rare it may or may not be. I like them because for me it's the bike that I'd love to build most, because it's the bike I lusted after most as a kid. I always fancied a Robinson as well which also weren't that popular back in the day round our way, everyone seemed to be on Pattersons. First race frame I bought when I got back into the hobby was a Robbo and I've had loads since as well.

Still I'd buy a JMC DY tomorrow if I had the cash available and it went for sensible money.

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 02:25 PM »
In 1990 I got offered a mint JMC DY with DY bars and single pinch flights for £50, I turned it down  :D.

Better to crash and burn than fade away

slurp

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 02:45 PM »

it's an overhyped, silly named, nothing special frameset at best. Jmc's are nicely made, but to look at, the earlier stuff is way prettier. It's become a kind of label snobbery thing in the old school scene, along with all that vdc tat and the andy patterson too. Most exspensive does not mean best and rarest does not mean best. This scene has turned upside down over the many years we've been busy. Not one of those vdc's are nice to look at, the freestyler being an abortion of a thing. But as the price went up, it became more desirable :uglystupid2: and that's the shit side of old school. New people come into the scene and immediately put these bikes on a pedastal due to the price and rareity. 90% of peeps had never heard of or seen most of these before getting into this hobby. How a AP or darryl young or changa can be thought of as better than a TA or a trick star is beyond me. Only in the last few years have the prices of these rarity's shot through the roof. The bikes you rode, the bikes you wanted as a kid, the bike you mate had when you had a burner/murray/piranha etc, that you wish you mum and dad would buy you, those are the best old school bikes by a country mile. Not vdc's with aerospeed cranks and son-lite hubs and andy bloody patterson bars ans so on. Stay true to yourself and what you knew and loved and you will get much more reward out of this hobby. Don't try and impress everybody else by trying to show off, buying the dearest frameset you can get. Just buy what you really like and build it the way YOU like it. It's not a competition.

right. rant over :LolLolLolLol:
 :rant:

Some valid points made, but what happens if, like me you craved a DY when you racing back in 84 but your dad had just bought you a ripper so you felt ever so cheeky asking him to trade it in for one. Years later when you rekindle your bmx fetish you buy your dream JMC DY, does that make you a glory hunter ? 

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 02:57 PM »
then you could at least be happy that your parents were in a position to buy you 'just a ripper'  ???   :(
a few people will have had them bitd and a few will have had mates that had them bitd so they will have a genuine desire for that frameset. but on the whole, it's big bunch of glory hunting. :LolLolLolLol:
ding dong

slurp

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 03:39 PM »
Maybe Im being abit of a green horn but I believe 90% of builds on Rad are for the right reasons.

As for the ripper it was 2nd hand for my 12th birthday. and my 13th,14th and 15th. ;)

mark 2

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 03:52 PM »
Am I right in saying more DY's were made than any other JMC? I'm sure I read that somewhere....which maybe is a bit backwards if they command the most wow factor / money  and there is more of them around than all the others. Got an excellent condition original micro mini, 84 made, about 5 -10 known of.  But as it's a mini no-one would give a shit.

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 04:31 PM »
Am I right in saying more DY's were made than any other JMC? I'm sure I read that somewhere....which maybe is a bit backwards if they command the most wow factor / money  and there is more of them around than all the others. Got an excellent condition original micro mini, 84 made, about 5 -10 known of.  But as it's a mini no-one would give a shit.

totally agree with mr townsend, but, re above, apart from bmx exotica, loopy rippers (SE's in general) TA's n Haro's must be the most common f/fs out there and fetch far more money than rarer equivelent bikes, thats why i slipped into midschool buying, great quirky rare as fook frames i was never aware of n cheap as fook :daumenhoch:

baldbmxer

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 07:23 PM »
As nice as the JMC Darryll Young was/is, and I really wanted one BITD (I begged my Mum to buy me one in Melanie Vauvelle's Ultra BMX in Leeds one day!)
but when I rode one it was shite! and so was the JMC Andy Patterson for that matter!

I was really pleased me mam never gave into my wants!  :LolLolLolLol:

Online HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 08:58 PM »
to be honest John,i dont hold my DY in any higher regard than your National Pro,i think the  N.P is every bit as nice......just my personal opinion though(and i still want a N.P)  :smitten:

Come on guys,i know there's more frame numbers out there.

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 01:33 AM »
J.T RACING, fooookin spot on mate.

toys19

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 06:58 AM »
Hmmm, I think it all comes down to what magazines you read and who you hung out with, for me JMC, Haro, Hutch, DB Harry Leary,  anything SE and VDC are all very "american" and didnt really show up on my radar. It was burners, skyway , redline (yes american I know but they were available here), DP and Curtis (best bikes in the world full stop), when I got back into OS BMX last year, I fully expected Curtis and DP bikes  to be priced off the scale, and they aren't. Happy days, I've got mountains of Curtis Stuff now.

So seeing Harry Leary Turbos and JMC's going for mega quids I just find amusing, because they didn't stir my loins one bit BITD.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Darrell Young frame sets

gfxgfx
gfx gfx