gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 20, 2024, 06:26 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  from nasty to nice suntour stem
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: from nasty to nice suntour stem  (Read 2037 times)

neiljonarcus

from nasty to nice suntour stem
« on: July 30, 2009, 02:21 PM »
notice the ali casting marks "yack"

now no casting marks and blingdiddleding        "SEND ME YOUR HOME ADDRESS MISTER  "  you know who you are   :LolLolLolLol:

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
Re: from nasty to nice suntour stem
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 02:30 PM »
Nice !!
Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep
Jim'll fix it did loads for charity

Deano

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 02:36 PM »
 :shocked: N2cus i love your polishing work mate.

Envious to buggry to be honest.

8) 8) 8)

neiljonarcus

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 03:07 PM »
deano as long as you have all the right stuff its easy  " i can do it any one can "  :daumenhoch:

mark 2

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 03:44 PM »
Here's a tip for anyone doing that - ovenpride it first to get rid of the anno clear coat, your at least straight on to polishing the bare metal then rathaer than pissing about for ages longer polishing that stuff out first. Same with a lot of silver parts, flight chainwheels etc...

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 04:00 PM »
oh well!!!  thats another nice original stem knackered up.........    :LolLolLolLol:
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

neiljonarcus

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 04:03 PM »
i agree sam  ... i wish i hadn,t of done it now  . just waiting for the god dam  :police:   :LolLolLolLol:   :LolLolLolLol:   :LolLolLolLol:

neiljonarcus

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 04:10 PM »
and as for oven pride  thats for puffs  .  caustic soda ...breath plenty in when you are doing it make sure it gets on ya skin then drink whats left ... does the job of stripping anno in about 2 mins  . oven pride in a bag and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait ...just go back and check  on the stem  and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Deano

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 04:47 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Nice tips guys, and neil ill do what you said and get some good mops etc..... ;)

Feel free to ruine any of my metal parts anytime :LolLolLolLol:

Just started back on them damb alloys, iv gone from 180 grit-240-360-600-1000-2000. I look like a bond vilan (silver skin) lol

neiljonarcus

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 04:49 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 05:48 PM »
nothing wrong with polishing parts if they are a bit knacked,its a good way of doing builds on a budget, :yahoo_silent:
i have one on the go now with mostly polished parts that i bought cheaply cos they were scratched and/or had faded anno :daumenhoch:

wizardofcov

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 05:53 PM »
yo bling da la bling me want one....   :daumenhoch:

dannywhiteley

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 06:00 PM »
Good work with the polishing mop, but personally I prefered the original finish.  Looked better before IMO.

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 10:33 PM »
i went through this polished everything stage myself.
but them saw steve p's stem he restored with a cherry stone and i've now gone the back to how it was.fooking loads harder to do as well  :(
nowt wrong with a bit of shiney though
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline jimmyp

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 12:36 AM »
Great work as ever, is it poss you could do some pro class wheels for me m8,  :-\ :-\ :daumenhoch:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 12:48 AM »
Bling a ding ding Neil  :coolsmiley: The master polisher at work again  8) :daumenhoch:
mongoositis - an expensive disease......

neiljonarcus

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 06:26 AM »
thanks  johngoose  . i must admit i haven,t polished anything for a while . forgot how much i like seeing the end result 

AND I LIKE FOOK EVERY ONE ELSE

ozone

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 07:46 AM »
thanks  johngoose  . i must admit i haven,t polished anything for a while . forgot how much i like seeing the end result 

What's not to like about that?  Like you say, you have smoothed out all the casting and BLINGED an old stem to the max :daumenhoch:  Christ, even the logo survived this bout of polishing. 

After all the work you put into that, most people would only pay around £20, shipped, for a used Suntour stem so it's a lot of work for the reward of a pint, maybe.  Worth it, if it's for one of your builds though :4_17_5:

neiljonarcus

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 08:17 AM »

What's not to like about that?  Like you say, you have smoothed out all the casting and BLINGED an old stem to the max :daumenhoch:  Christ, even the logo survived this bout of polishing. 

After all the work you put into that, most people would only pay around £20, shipped, for a used Suntour stem so it's a lot of work for the reward of a pint, maybe.  Worth it, if it's for one of your builds though :4_17_5:

no its for some one off hear . he bought it and just got it sent straight to me to be polished   :daumenhoch:   thanks for your backing in this war of polishing   :LolLolLolLol:

ozone

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 08:44 AM »

no its for some one off hear . he bought it and just got it sent straight to me to be polished   :daumenhoch:   thanks for your backing in this war of polishing   :LolLolLolLol:

Like Ice Cube and NWA once said...

Fook the Police :police: :police: :police:  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Swivel

• Berm Worm
  • Ah feck it, go on then...
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 11:18 AM »
Looks fooking awesome Neil  :4_17_5: :4_17_5: :4_17_5: :4_17_5: :4_17_5: :4_17_5: :4_17_5: :4_17_5: :4_17_5: :daumenhoch:

dannywhiteley

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 11:04 PM »
Theres no need to take offence.  Just a personal opinion mate.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 11:06 PM by dannywhiteley »

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2009, 01:30 AM »
drink a load of vodka then piss the bed,that will bring a shine up.

Deano

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2009, 02:17 AM »
I think its worth far more than just a pint for polishing this up mate :daumenhoch:

Let the purists have the dull stems, you are what you keep :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:

Me im bright n shiny through n through 8)

Fancy doing my inlet manifold >:D

neiljonarcus

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2009, 07:54 AM »
dean send me a picture of the fannymould   :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  from nasty to nice suntour stem

gfxgfx
gfx gfx