gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 25, 2024, 05:21 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mk2 S&M “Yellolmes” - MK09 Midschool bike of the show
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Mk2 S&M “Yellolmes” - MK09 Midschool bike of the show  (Read 2650 times)

SaMAlex

After finishing what is probably the cleanest bike I have ever built, and in time for MK09, I thought Id post up some pics of it. Its probably not gunna look this good for long.

Here it is when I got it. A mk2, loop seat stay Holmes. They made them for less than a year, and most of them cracked on the loop stay. It was an idea that the weld shop had to make the junction easier to weld, but it didn’t make it stronger. I got hold of the frame on Ebay UK. It was sold as frame and cranks only, but the “pre pitch” forks were sold on a separate sale (how annoying is that!). I won the frame but not the forks. Luckily I managed to get the forks out of the person who did win them (Cheers Craig) so was able to keep them as a set.

The frame was good. Some wheel nut marks in the “2 stuck together” dropouts, but not too bad. There was a hole drilled in the top of the seat tube (to route a cable through for a pit bull) but nothing that couldn’t be covered up with a double seat clamp.

I had seen a photo of an early S&M that I really liked. The pic was of Will Smyth (editor of Dig Magazine). He was riding a mk1 dirtbike and I loved the way it was set up. Kinda like a race bike, but it had 48s so more of a trails bike. Whats more, he was doing a wallride. It was everything that early S&Ms were about. Racing, trails and street. One bike does it all. I wanted to base the build of this bike on how Will had his bike set up.

The first thing was to get the frame powder coated. I had seen the normal (GT) yellow that SBD does but I thought this was a bit to orange. I chose a lighter yellow: RAL - 1018, Zink Yellow. At first I was worried it was a bit to light, but it turned out to be fine.

I already had most of the parts I wanted to use on it. Early “Itson” slam bars, Prince Albert Cranks. I used some of the parts that Will had on his bike; Flight ring, Pit Bill, Comp 3s on super pros. Even DX style pedals but I had some nice Yellow S&M ones. I used a Gold redneck. The frame is a bit earlier than the stem and cranks, and esp the pedals, but they seem perfect on there to me. The cranks are the set of mk2 PAs that I was given in about 94. I went down to Backyard shop to pick them up (along with a red shafted redneck) and I used the cranks for years.

The decals are probably the reason this build has taken so long (I got the frame over 2 years ago!). I knew exactly what decal set I wanted to use but I was having real trouble finding them. The mk2 Holmes came with 2 decal sets. The later ones had the “molerterno” decals, which were also used on the mk3s (and came on my mk3) so I didn’t want to use them. I wanted to use the early mk2 decals, the “tape measure” set. I had not seen a set since they were used, not even a photo of them! I did have a few original headtube stickers but I was having no luck with the rest. I asked Moeller if S&M if he had any of the old decals or artwork. He said they didn’t have anything, but a few weeks later he said they had found one set of the old Holmes artwork. Whats more, it was the Tape measure decals! They were talking about getting some sets made but it cost too much for a short run. I was sure I could get some done here so Moeller lent me the art work. He sent me the 4 original transparencies that made up the 4 colour screens that printed the decals. So so cool. I used the headtube badge I had for the colour match and got del to work his magic.

3 new ones and one original …. But you’ll have to take my word for that.

Then it was just a matter of throwing the thing together. Im really happy how it came out. It feels just like a Holmes did in the early 90s. Totally rideable but still so “of its time”.

My "Yellolmes".

-Mk2 "looped seat stay" S&M Holmes
-S&M Pre-pitch forks (Thanks Woody Alan bars)
-Early "Itson" S&M Slam bars
-Peregrine Super Pro wheels (thanks General Lee)
-Gold S&M redneck (Thanks Harris)
-S&M Prince Albert cranks, mk2
-Flight ring
-S&M DX pedals
-Odyssey seat (thanks stodgy)
-22.2 Primo Rod post (thanks General Lee)
-Yellow roughneck grips (thanks General Lee)
-Pitbull brake (thanks General Lee)
-Tech 77 lever (Thanks  Firebird)
-Chen Chin Comp 3s (thanks General Lee)
-GT Double seat clamp
-Yellow chain from my local bike shop
-S&M padset

-Decal set made by Del
-Powder Coated by SBD

Thanks for everyones help in getting the parts that helped make this the MK09 Mid school, Best in show.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 02:35 PM by S&MAlex »

tobybrown35

Re: Mk2 S&M Yellolmes - MK09 Midschool bike of the show
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 02:58 PM »
very nice dude  :daumenhoch:

Dhillon

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 03:07 PM »
That is one lovely bike!!  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Likin' it alot  ::)

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 03:31 PM »
I sais it at Mk and i'll say it again, that is the nicest S&M Holmes I have ever seen, EVER. The nicest S&M build I have ever seen, and all based around my favourite frame of all time.
Inspiring!
steve

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 04:40 PM »
thats awesome dude, the decals rock! nice one :daumenhoch:

virtualmeuk

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 04:45 PM »
I Must admit i am not a fan of mid school really as i have never got into it but i must admit that looks awsome! You never know it may even get me into it  :daumenhoch:

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 05:09 PM »
a top line build alex  its a bloody beauty

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 05:12 PM »
very nice :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

i do love a yellow holmes  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

those decals also came on the mk3 holmes as mine had them on when i bought it brand new in 94 iirc :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 05:16 PM »
Sweet  :daumenhoch:

teamsano

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 07:20 PM »
Racing, trails and street. One bike does it all.

you said it.

nice build alex.

Offline GINGERHOLMES

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 08:22 PM »
amazing

« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 08:42 AM by GINGERHOLMES »

Offline Gary72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 08:40 PM »
Sweeeeeeeeeeeettttttttt :daumenhoch:

Offline 20to26

• Site Supporter
  • Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 10:35 PM »
great post Alex - I love a good storyline and the finished product is brilliant! Just don't ride it in next years MK Dirt contest...

woody allen bars

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 09:57 PM »
Very nice work Alex, that's the nicest of all your S&M builds, looks superb all round and the stickers are the finishing touch.

IMHO you've set the benchmark for midschool builds with this bike, and it's going to take something very special to better it  8) 8) 8)

~ Craig

JT71

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 07:36 AM »
awesome Alex,  not my favorite of you builds, but still great great work. yummy.

:4_17_5:

magna13

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 10:14 AM »
Wow, I love early S&M's :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

thecaptain

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2009, 11:13 AM »
awesome bike, im hoping to get my dirtbike in that type of yellow,

did they strip the chrome when the frame was powdercoated or did they just paint over it?

condor96

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 02:36 AM »
WOW, very stunning bike  :daumenhoch:  cool story. i always thought that style of holmes decals were the best looking  :4_17_5:

dialledbikes

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 08:38 PM »
That looks awesome Alex.

Perhaps your next mission (should you choose to accept it) should be to do a sticky for this section of the site on the history of the S&M Holmes frames and stickers.

I'm over in the US at the moment and just found a 1" Holmes frame and 2 sets of 1" pre-Pitch forks I bought over 2 years ago and I hadn't even opened the box!  Gonna get them cleaned up and brought home (1 set of the forks is mint).

subversion

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 09:12 PM »
Great! now go get it DIRTY! >:D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  Mk2 S&M “Yellolmes” - MK09 Midschool bike of the show

gfxgfx
gfx gfx