gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 06:09 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Ishiwata frame ID ....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Ishiwata frame ID ....  (Read 5507 times)

jonnydiezel

Ishiwata frame ID ....
« on: April 25, 2009, 11:21 AM »
I used to ride one of these frame/forks in 83/84 and have a few old pics of it built up with black Zs and CW bars

It was from my uncles bike shop I think he possibly had them imported.
Amazingly last year I discovered there was one left in his cellar so I rescued it.

Its pretty rusty and the chrome is flaking off under the top tube, but I'm planning to try and build it up something like the one I originally had
(Just done the same sort of excercise with a Rickman FS)

Has anyone here seen a frame like this before?
I understand ishiwata tubing was used in some Skyway frames and the dropouts look quite similar to a TA

I'm wondering if it was ever part of a BMX companies range or just a one off import my uncle did
Any clues would be much appreciated!

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: Ishiwata frame ID ....
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 01:04 PM »
If it has a 5 inch head tube then it's a Pro-Craft, I think Moore and Large imported them bitd.

Great frame and forks that built up into a really nice bike; I loved my one bitd  :daumenhoch:

Here's an early 80's advert ...

Better to crash and burn than fade away

jonnydiezel

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 07:19 PM »
Thanks so much for the info, it does indeed have a 5 inch head tube and is exactly the same as the ad you posted.

The thing about Moore and Large all makes sense too, so cool I know the frame actually belongs to a brand.

Now to build like mine bitd or like the ad? hmm..... :)

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 04:34 PM »
Thanks so much for the info, it does indeed have a 5 inch head tube and is exactly the same as the ad you posted.

The thing about Moore and Large all makes sense too, so cool I know the frame actually belongs to a brand.

Now to build like mine bitd or like the ad? hmm..... :)

Like yours from bitd, nothing better than re-living old memories  ;)

Would love to get another one of these myself and build it up as I had it bitd too  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

jonnydiezel

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 01:21 PM »
Found out a bit more about this from a bit of googling at the weekend.

Think that the frame is probably a ProCraft Ultima, although after searching some downloaded mags I found a test of the junior version in BMX bi-weekly, and an ad a few pages on from Moore and Large calling it a Procraft Jnr 'Karate'.
Now I remember when I had my old bike calling it a 'Karate' so I think its possibly the way M&L marketed them for UK, although I never had any decals one mine.

Anyway the plan is build v. close to my original bike spec, try and reproduce some logos as per below but with an extra little 'Karate' decal on the top tube.

So, need some black Zs and CW bars most of the other stuff I've got something close enough to make it look like this one :)

rockinlumberjack

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 09:23 PM »
I've 2 sets of frames and forks of this Pro Craft Ishiwata. They were very well made : thicker dorpouts, 5' headtube, very nice welds, oval toptube, reinforced brake bridge tube and headtube, etc... They were the precursor of the Redline 800P and a mix of Redline and Skyway. The dropouts of the forks ressemble to the Akisu.  One of these frames is stamped Ishiwata with serial number L4)6)237 on the left dropout.

bigsman

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 12:23 PM »
Alright guys - just dug this thread up after a google search!  Just nabbed myself one of these from a bike recycling shop near me.  I wasn't too interested when they said it was stickered up as a 'team karate' but when I saw the quality of the frame/dropouts and welds I knew it wasn't dross so I took it.  Got almost the full bike minus pedals and brakes.  Its pretty rusty but I think I can make it look decent.

You guys ever get yours fully built?  Anyone know if theres any diff between the frames between the different karate/procraft modesl or are they all the same (100% cr-mo?)

Lovely frame...really is like an early T/A in many ways..

jonnydiezel

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 02:07 PM »
hi bigsman

you made a good score to get one of these they seem to be fairly scarce.
From what info I have gathered they did these in the UK as a junior, standard size and cruiser. All 100% cromo
In the US they were Procraft 'Ultima'
I got mine built up as below (skyway TA stickers are long gone)

Sounds like the team karate stickers have been taken off yours, shame as I would love to see a pic of the original stickers.
(mine never had any)
I've ridden this round Nottm race track a few times and it rides really well. Have a changed a few things since pic and have some more changes planned. definately a keeper!

bigsman

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 05:27 PM »
Alrite bud nice T/A  :LolLolLolLol:

Just kidding...thing is it doesn't look as much of an affront as many other bikes would if they were badged up like that it looks the part if you know what i mean?  Testament to the quality of the f/f I reckon.

It was a lucky find no doubt...a tenner for full frame and forks, original wenmann gold rims with large flange hubs, 1pc crank, stem, seat clamp, seat post, seat - nice cr-mo CW type bars...the works...except pedals and brakes.  I'm glad I took it.  Had to put it straight in an OA bath and it came up well but unfortunately one of the rear seat stays is pretty pitted which is a shame but right now I've no plans to rechrome or paint it. 

As for the stickers thing you've picked me up wrong...its still fully stickered up!  I'll get a pic or 2 later and post them up for you to see.  have to say though if anything they make it look cheap I'd say but I think they are authentic.  Anyway cheers for the reply...your bike looks good and its cool to be part of an exclusive gang of owners  :LolLolLolLol:

Steve

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Ishiwata frame ID ....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx