gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975632 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 30, 2024, 11:35 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Advice for build required
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Advice for build required  (Read 1355 times)

Dazza44

Advice for build required
« on: July 21, 2009, 09:10 AM »
Hi guy's looking for some advice, my 11 year old son is getting more into his BMX, and wants to build his own bike, Might have something to do with dad's 3 old school projects which are on the go  :idiot2:
he obviously dos'nt have a bottomless pit of money but currently has a Haro Mirra 360 Heavy as lead thing which will maybe give him a start regarding parts until he can afford upgrades.
I suppose the questions i'm asking are what's the best way to proceed ? I'm assuming Frame and forks first build it up with some of the parts from his current ride than add better quality components as he goes along.
I also need advice on what to buy not being into the new school bikes it seems to be full of manufactures that i've never heard of what should we be trying to buy and what should we stay clear of ?
Any help is appreciated :daumenhoch:
Sorry shopuld of said he's more into his dirt/street style of riding currently destroying his Trek mountain bike on a daily basis  :crazy2:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 09:16 AM by Dazza44 »

HEYWOOD BMX

Re: Advice for build required
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 09:23 AM »
 Frame upgrade is a good place to start using your current parts.Also make sure your current headset/bb are compatible with any frame you buy.Another thing to consider is size,I see too many 4 ft kids riding 21.25 toptube frames....Sure loads on here can give you all the advice you need,ask away!

Dazza44

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 09:45 AM »
Thanks for that, he is approx 5'4" so should be OK size wise

bmxbert

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 10:33 AM »
crikey hes nearly as tall as me and im 27 today.  ;D

parts wise there are always great little bits coming up on here. do you have any pics of the bike he is riding at the moment?

Offline Stodgy

• BMX Overlord
    • RADBMX Shop
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 11:00 AM »
Hey Dazza

Do give me a call at the shop dude and we can talk through the best way to go based on budget and the type of riding he does.

020 8144 8177

Happy to help!

Cheers
Dave

Dazza44

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 12:15 PM »
crikey hes nearly as tall as me and im 27 today.  ;D

parts wise there are always great little bits coming up on here. do you have any pics of the bike he is riding at the moment?

Yeh he's not far off me too,I have questioned his mother about that one  :'( i don't have any pic's and he's already stripped it now,

Dave, Budget wise he's saved around £100 upto now and i've promissed i'll meet whatever he saves so weve got around £200 for starters, will he get more for his money secondhand or would he be better off buying new ???
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 12:17 PM by Dazza44 »

JT71

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 01:41 PM »
used is better value, but could have been abused, could have hidden cracks etc.

maybe get a new frame and forks set up and swap parts over, then upgrade as he can afford.

lodge

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 03:39 PM »
New school completes are incredible value and this is the route I would recommend, for 300 notes you can get a bike which he wont need to do anything to and he may well be able to sell his current ride.

Dazza44

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 03:51 PM »
Yeh have been looking at whats available from some of the manufactures today and complete bikes do seem like exceptional value, Any recomendations ??

Might just let him rebuild what he has, as he wants to build something and i was the same a few years ago when i was his age  8) and maybe try and sell it once finished.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 03:53 PM by Dazza44 »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Advice for build required

gfxgfx
gfx gfx