gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975757 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 05:08 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Redditch BMX track
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Redditch BMX track  (Read 924 times)

thombsie

Redditch BMX track
« on: March 01, 2006, 02:41 PM »
Hi Everyone,

You may have already read about this from the msg that i posted on bmxracing-dirt.com. I'm trying to get interest and support for a re-build of Redditch BMX track(the venue for the Anglo-American Cup in the early 80's) if you've been to the site over the last few years you will know theres a good outdoor all wooden ramp sk8park right next to the old track. The guy behind the sk8park in Steve Rooke(once editor of BMX Rider magazine) He founded the Charity Redditch Wheels Project which with the council funded the park. He is really interested in getting the track sorted and has had discussions with his contact at the council last year.

he asked me to get some info together about a club and wondered what interest there would be from riders in the area. I'm just trying to get people from around the Redditch - Birmingham area to put their names forward if they would be interested in getting involved in any way, wether it be helping to run the club and help maintain the track or just join the club and ride the track. I've had some good feeback from the msg i posted on uncle bucks site, but obviously the more names we can get the better its going to look with the council. They will want to know that it's going to get used by a club for club nights and race days and all that.

So if anyone reading would be interested in anyway if we we're to get this off the ground just email me your full name, email address  and what level of involvment you'd want to give to batbmx25@yahoo.co.uk. i shall keep you posted.

Thanks for your time

Cheers

Benn Thombs

silentpartner

Re: Redditch BMX track
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 03:23 PM »
hi benn
there's a few guys from brum area who come down to derby alot who will be interested, i'll see them next week at chesterfield regional, and get them to get in touch. if you need help with the track i dont mind helping out, it's not to far from derby, and it'll be good to get another track for the midlands. we might even get enough to be a proper midlands region, all we need is to get something leicester way rideable again and were in buisness.

alan  ;)

thombsie

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 12:28 PM »
Thanks Alan that will be great. I might know some of them if you mention my name, i know most of the Chesterfield lot anyway. Thanks again mate, i shall keep you posted on any developments and any help if we can get things rolling would be brilliant.

Cheers

Benn

team_teapot

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 08:18 PM »
there is a national standard track that was built in leicester a few years ago. the only problem is there was no one to run it. ive never been and have no idea what condition it is in but its there should any one care.

redditch track sounds like a great idea to me

Offline Tefore

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 08:19 PM »
hi matey

doubt i could help much. but matt1974 on here is from redditch as well and he knows rooky.
he might be able to help

thombsie

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 02:28 PM »
thanks for that guys.

We tried to get a club going at the track in Leicester in 2002 it's at Beaumont Leys, it's in a shady area but it had loads of potential, i think is was built with the 2002 european champs in mind, the drainage is terrible on the first straight and the track is really long but other than that and a few jumps needing re-shaping it was quality. even had a gate, start mech and a shipping container on site for tools etc. we got so far with the council and it was looking good they we're desperate for a club to take it on, but the track had been built for the old LEICESTER wARRIORS CLUB and after the track was finished they werent to happy with the mistakes that had been made with the design and drainage etc, so thay refused to use it. when we tried to take it on they wernt to happy that we were intefering as they were trying to get the council to right the wrongs for them. So we decided to leave it rather than open a can of worms.

Not sure what the situation is now with Leicester Warriors. John Chapman and Yan Freakley we're running the club in 2000ish, i know back then the council wanted it being used obviously coz they sent a hell of alot of money on it. So if Leicester Warriors arent bothered now and there is riders in the Leicester area wanting to give it a go then they should definatley contact the council.

Benn

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  Redditch BMX track

gfxgfx
gfx gfx